Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More quick questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Well, how does the sizing standard for rings work? How do I know which size to get for my teener? Also, are the top and second rings exactly the same, or is there some 'invisible' difference between the two? Thanks.
Mark D.
BMXerror
Okay, when I wrote that original post, I was REALLY tired, so it probably doesn't make any sense. What I'm really asking is; when you go to order rings, they give you four numbers, like 90 x 2 x 2 x 5. 90 is obviously the cylinder bore, but what do the other three stand for. I'm guessing one is ring height and one is ring thickness (Inward towards the center of the piston), but I don't really know for sure. Please, help. Thanks.
Mark D.
P.S. Before you say so, I have searched on the internet for the answer before asking for help. I haven't been successful, even on one website call the 'Ring Museum', I didn't find my answer.
orange914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jan 5 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Okay, when I wrote that original post, I was REALLY tired, so it probably doesn't make any sense. What I'm really asking is; when you go to order rings, they give you four numbers, like 90 x 2 x 2 x 5. 90 is obviously the cylinder bore, but what do the other three stand for. I'm guessing one is ring height and one is ring thickness (Inward towards the center of the piston), but I don't really know for sure. Please, help. Thanks.
Mark D.
P.S. Before you say so, I have searched on the internet for the answer before asking for help. I haven't been successful, even on one website call the 'Ring Museum', I didn't find my answer.

i just went through this... arrrgh..., what pistons do you have?

90 would be bore
2 top ring thickness
2 second ring
5.90 oil ring

from what i found there were 2 ring sets for 96mm (i'm no final athority here!)
96x1.5x2x6 & 96x2x2x6
the limited research i did i read the thinner rings gave less drag but not as durable

hope this helps

mike
Cap'n Krusty
The thinner rings are for pistons with narrower grooves. Use a thin ring in a wide-groove piston, and the few miles you get before the ring breaks and tears up the piston and the cylinder won't be worth the time it took you do do the job. Again.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.