Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front Hub Dust Cover, Any Removal Tips???????
jgara962
post Jan 15 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Yo, this is how I roll

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

Is it just me or are the dust covers on the front hubs impossible to get off. I bought a big pair of channel locks and all I'm doing is tearing the thing up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It isn't budging an inch. Is there some other method? I don't know if there is a difference, but it on a 5 lug conversion from a '79 SC.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 16 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Big screwdriver under the lip/edge.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jan 16 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #3

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Might have to start with a pretty small blade at first to create enough opening to get a BFS in there.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 16 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

And sometimes whacking the side with a mallet while rotating the wheel will get it out enough to help you.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 16 2008, 07:52 AM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I've used a claw hammer to remove the cover. Used the claw to pull out on the cover while placing the hammer head on the hub. Work all the way round with little bumps. Pops right off.
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 16 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Yo, this is how I roll

I don't even see a lip or edge to get a screwdriver started in. There is a notch in the hub, is that where? I did stick a screwdriver in there and gave it a couple of whacks, but didn't see a clearance where the cap was starting to move. Do I just keep hammering?
+Quote Post
jflash914
post Jan 16 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,652

John,
The later 911 hubs have a cap that doesn't have a lip on it as you described. The cap actually fits into the hub as opposed to going over the lip of the hub as in early 911's and also 914's. You have to take something like a brass drift and place it into the ridge of the cap as best you can and hammer. Then move the drift on the other side. You can't get a real good angle on the drift but it will work. You will eventually start to see the cap move. It is a pain but it will eventually come loose.
Jack
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jan 16 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

I removed a dust cap from a /4 hub over the weekend, and the big screwdrive/mallet deal worked for me. Just keep rotating the wheel and a few good whacks should bring it right out.

(IMG:http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/sendjonathanmail/1974%20Red/IMG_1960.jpg)

+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jan 16 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Yo, this is how I roll

QUOTE(jflash914 @ Jan 16 2008, 12:52 PM) *

John,
The later 911 hubs have a cap that doesn't have a lip on it as you described. The cap actually fits into the hub as opposed to going over the lip of the hub as in early 911's and also 914's. You have to take something like a brass drift and place it into the ridge of the cap as best you can and hammer. Then move the drift on the other side. You can't get a real good angle on the drift but it will work. You will eventually start to see the cap move. It is a pain but it will eventually come loose.
Jack

Yes. I was just down at McMark's shop and he kept showing my different hubs asking "does it look like this"? My answer was always "no". The cap goes inside the hub, so unlike most, there isn't a lip that you can get a screwdriver behind to get it nudged out. Thanks for the info. Between my visit with Mark and your info, I'm going to attack it again tonight. Come hell or high water, that b&*%$# is coming off!
+Quote Post
John
post Jan 16 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #10

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

On 911 type hubs, I stole a trick from my 930.

On 930 front hubs, the cap is installed so deep that there is no way to pry the cap off. Instead, the factory welded nuts (or threaded inserts) to the caps.

I weld an 8mm nut to the cover (centered) and then use a slide hammer to pull the cap off. I leave the nut welded in place.

I have seen others to the tap and turn method as well as others using a slotted joint plier (channel locks) method of rocking the cover loose until it could be removed.

I prefer my method as it does not damage anything upon removal.

Good luck with it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:21 PM