Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Hub Dust Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
Is it just me or are the dust covers on the front hubs impossible to get off. I bought a big pair of channel locks and all I'm doing is tearing the thing up. headbang.gif It isn't budging an inch. Is there some other method? I don't know if there is a difference, but it on a 5 lug conversion from a '79 SC.
McMark
Big screwdriver under the lip/edge.
SGB
Might have to start with a pretty small blade at first to create enough opening to get a BFS in there.
Gint
And sometimes whacking the side with a mallet while rotating the wheel will get it out enough to help you.
Spoke
I've used a claw hammer to remove the cover. Used the claw to pull out on the cover while placing the hammer head on the hub. Work all the way round with little bumps. Pops right off.
jgara962
I don't even see a lip or edge to get a screwdriver started in. There is a notch in the hub, is that where? I did stick a screwdriver in there and gave it a couple of whacks, but didn't see a clearance where the cap was starting to move. Do I just keep hammering?
jflash914
John,
The later 911 hubs have a cap that doesn't have a lip on it as you described. The cap actually fits into the hub as opposed to going over the lip of the hub as in early 911's and also 914's. You have to take something like a brass drift and place it into the ridge of the cap as best you can and hammer. Then move the drift on the other side. You can't get a real good angle on the drift but it will work. You will eventually start to see the cap move. It is a pain but it will eventually come loose.
Jack
jonferns
I removed a dust cap from a /4 hub over the weekend, and the big screwdrive/mallet deal worked for me. Just keep rotating the wheel and a few good whacks should bring it right out.

IPB Image

jgara962
QUOTE(jflash914 @ Jan 16 2008, 12:52 PM) *

John,
The later 911 hubs have a cap that doesn't have a lip on it as you described. The cap actually fits into the hub as opposed to going over the lip of the hub as in early 911's and also 914's. You have to take something like a brass drift and place it into the ridge of the cap as best you can and hammer. Then move the drift on the other side. You can't get a real good angle on the drift but it will work. You will eventually start to see the cap move. It is a pain but it will eventually come loose.
Jack

Yes. I was just down at McMark's shop and he kept showing my different hubs asking "does it look like this"? My answer was always "no". The cap goes inside the hub, so unlike most, there isn't a lip that you can get a screwdriver behind to get it nudged out. Thanks for the info. Between my visit with Mark and your info, I'm going to attack it again tonight. Come hell or high water, that b&*%$# is coming off!
John
On 911 type hubs, I stole a trick from my 930.

On 930 front hubs, the cap is installed so deep that there is no way to pry the cap off. Instead, the factory welded nuts (or threaded inserts) to the caps.

I weld an 8mm nut to the cover (centered) and then use a slide hammer to pull the cap off. I leave the nut welded in place.

I have seen others to the tap and turn method as well as others using a slotted joint plier (channel locks) method of rocking the cover loose until it could be removed.

I prefer my method as it does not damage anything upon removal.

Good luck with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.