Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tail pipe, what color from the factory?
mdwman
post Jan 29 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,764

1973 1.7L. When new was the tail pipe black or gray? Now that I licked my running rich problem I want to clean up and paint my sooty tail pipe. Thanks for the info.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jan 29 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

mdw,
Even though this pic doesn't show the tailpipe end, the "gray" paint on this OEM muffler would be correct for a 1970. I'd be very surprised if later /4s were not painted gray as well. Obviously the use of high-temp paint is called for in this application.

As an afterthought, I've seen some /4s with a chrome tip on the exhaust end. I've always presumed that would be either a dealer-installed aftermarket item or an owner fitment piece.

Paul

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 29 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 29 2008, 12:39 PM) *

mdw,
Even though this pic doesn't show the tailpipe end, the "gray" paint on this OEM muffler would be correct for a 1970. I'd be very surprised if later /4s were not painted gray as well. Obviously the use of high-temp paint is called for in this application.

As an afterthought, I've seen some /4s with a chrome tip on the exhaust end. I've always presumed that would be either a dealer-installed aftermarket item or an owner fitment piece.

Paul

I'm in total agreement with Paul here - gray & high temp. Though, not certain if the factory used high temp paint, it makes sense. Now, you can get rid of that soot inside the tailpipe by using a Proctologist's version of a q-tip & some WD40. If anyone needs a pic of one of these, LMK.
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:33 PM