Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail pipe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mdwman
1973 1.7L. When new was the tail pipe black or gray? Now that I licked my running rich problem I want to clean up and paint my sooty tail pipe. Thanks for the info.
1970 Neun vierzehn
mdw,
Even though this pic doesn't show the tailpipe end, the "gray" paint on this OEM muffler would be correct for a 1970. I'd be very surprised if later /4s were not painted gray as well. Obviously the use of high-temp paint is called for in this application.

As an afterthought, I've seen some /4s with a chrome tip on the exhaust end. I've always presumed that would be either a dealer-installed aftermarket item or an owner fitment piece.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 29 2008, 12:39 PM) *

mdw,
Even though this pic doesn't show the tailpipe end, the "gray" paint on this OEM muffler would be correct for a 1970. I'd be very surprised if later /4s were not painted gray as well. Obviously the use of high-temp paint is called for in this application.

As an afterthought, I've seen some /4s with a chrome tip on the exhaust end. I've always presumed that would be either a dealer-installed aftermarket item or an owner fitment piece.

Paul

I'm in total agreement with Paul here - gray & high temp. Though, not certain if the factory used high temp paint, it makes sense. Now, you can get rid of that soot inside the tailpipe by using a Proctologist's version of a q-tip & some WD40. If anyone needs a pic of one of these, LMK.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.