Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which swaybar...?, 914 vs. 911 front suspension.
Wanna9146
post Feb 4 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,595
Region Association: South East States

(Couldn't find this in search...too many returns)...

I'm eventually converting my stock front suspension to 911 front suspension in order to run 5-lug wheels.

Question: Will a 914 front swaybar fit a 911 front suspension? Will a 911 front swaybar fit 914 front suspension? I don't want to purchase a 914 swaybar, only to find out I have to toss it with the old front end.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 4 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Feb 4 2008, 08:59 PM) *

I'm eventually converting my stock front suspension to 911 front suspension in order to run 5-lug wheels.

Question: Will a 914 front swaybar fit a 911 front suspension? Will a 911 front swaybar fit 914 front suspension? I don't want to purchase a 914 swaybar, only to find out I have to toss it with the old front end.

Yes, it will work. In fact that part looks just the the original part on you 914.
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Feb 4 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #3

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789

A 914 sway bar will fit a 911 suspension.....when you weld on the tabs or use a sway bar design like Smart racing Products uses. (they mount the spindles to the 45 degree(or so) round stiffening bar on the A arm). A 911 sway bar fits a 911 suspension. I have one of each, they both work great. The smart sway bar is adjustable, I adjust it between track days and autocross days. The 911 sway bar is stock and not adjustable, but you could certainly purchase an after market adjustable bar (Smart products, Coleman, and many others). More important are the front struts you choose. Try to find Bilstein struts if possible. They can have the spindles raised to add suspension travel to a lowered car. They also have an infinite selection of dampers right down to custom. Also, with the 911 suspension, you get larger discs and calipers, no small thing either.

all in all, prolly the best money you can spend on one of these cars. You will love how it drives!

PS: use the elephant polly-bronze bushings and turbo tie rods in the new front end, very tight.
+Quote Post
Wanna9146
post Feb 4 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Still a little confused...I'm not going racing (and I'm lazy), so the adjustable swaybar is most likely "overkill" for my street car.

Can I (should I) purchase a 914 swaybar now, or wait and purchase a 911 swaybar when I have the conversion completed?

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 4 2008, 09:29 PM) *

A 914 sway bar will fit a 911 suspension.....when you weld on the tabs or use a sway bar design like Smart racing Products uses. (they mount the spindles to the 45 degree(or so) round stiffening bar on the A arm). A 911 sway bar fits a 911 suspension. I have one of each, they both work great. The smart sway bar is adjustable, I adjust it between track days and autocross days. The 911 sway bar is stock and not adjustable, but you could certainly purchase an after market adjustable bar (Smart products, Coleman, and many others). More important are the front struts you choose. Try to find Bilstein struts if possible. They can have the spindles raised to add suspension travel to a lowered car. They also have an infinite selection of dampers right down to custom. Also, with the 911 suspension, you get larger discs and calipers, no small thing either.

all in all, prolly the best money you can spend on one of these cars. You will love how it drives!

PS: use the elephant polly-bronze bushings and turbo tie rods in the new front end, very tight.

+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Feb 4 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #5

Current Stable

I would say.....

Pick up a Carrera front end, '86 or so. It will have everything to start with. Then trick it out as you see fit.
+Quote Post
Wanna9146
post Feb 4 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #6

What will work? The 914 on the 911 suspension or the 911 on the 911 suspension (assuming both are installed in a 914)? I do not have swaybars now, so not sure what they look like.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 4 2008, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Feb 4 2008, 08:59 PM) *

Yes, it will work. In fact that part looks just the the original part on you 914.
+Quote Post
Wanna9146
post Feb 4 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 4 2008, 09:50 PM) *

I would say.....

Pick up a Carrera front end, '86 or so. It will have everything to start with. Then trick it out as you see fit.

The Carrera front end has the swaybar attached?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 4 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #8

You want to buy a 914 sway bar. It is about where they go through, and the 914 bar is designed to go through the car in the appropriate place. A 911 bar wouldn't work as far as I know. But then again, I don't know much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

After looking at them on paragon I don't really know the difference, but the 914 sway is what you want to order. I like the setup that Tarret has the best if you are going to buy one.
+Quote Post
Wanna9146
post Feb 5 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #9

Thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 4 2008, 09:54 PM) *

You want to buy a 914 sway bar. It is about where they go through, and the 914 bar is designed to go through the car in the appropriate place. A 911 bar wouldn't work as far as I know. But then again, I don;t know much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Feb 5 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #10

Current Stable

Both work perfectly. The Carrera set up has the sway bar under the car, the 914 set up has it through the car, just under the gas tank. I run the 86 Carrera set up on my orange daily driver, the Smart set up in the "Red Racer" car. I t is fairly easy to aquire the carrera front end. I paid $150 for the parts, ~$600 setting it up properly.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 5 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #11

Hey Gary

Do you have any pics of that? I have never heard of anyone using a sway bar that went under the car. Where does it go?
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Feb 5 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #12

Current Stable

Your right, you don't know much.
From 1969-1989, most if not all front suspensions interchange. Porsche isn't the most profitable car maker in the world by accident.........

Motors too.

I'll send some pictures tomorrow night, it is late and I'm outa here.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 5 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Thanks Gary. Have a great night.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 5 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #14

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 4 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Both work perfectly. The Carrera set up has the sway bar under the car, the 914 set up has it through the car, just under the gas tank. I run the 86 Carrera set up on my orange daily driver, the Smart set up in the "Red Racer" car. I t is fairly easy to aquire the carrera front end. I paid $150 for the parts, ~$600 setting it up properly.

A Carrera suspension for $150! You got a great deal. I paid $400 for my tired 1970 911E setup with new Konis, and I found out later that it was missing parts.

The nice thing about the Carrera suspension is that the swaybar is mounted underneath, much like every other car produced since 1970. Thus, not drilling, welding, etc., but you will pay a premium for a Carerra suspension/brakes/etc. However, the earlier 911 uses the same through-the-body sway bar setup as (optional) on the 914. If your car does not currently have swaybars, you will need to remove the gas tank, drill holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) , weld in reinforcments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) , and maybe weld on tabs to the A-arms. Then, you can go with a stock 914 bar, a Weltmeister bar, or any of the custom bars listed above.

It all depends on how handy you are, how much you want to spend, and what you want from the car.

Hope that helps,
Ken
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Feb 5 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #15

914ini

Member No.: 8,625

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 5 2008, 12:06 AM) *

Define easy to acquire, and please draw a map for the topographically impaired.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 5 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #16

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Here is a pic of a 911 front end I put on my green 914 including underbody swaybar. The 914 through bars are preferred by some, a 911 bar with corresponding a-arms is a bolt-on item. Mounting a 914 bar requires gas tank removal, some cutting and welding although some aftermarket 914 bars allow adjustments that the DE/AX/racers like.

Also got a 911 bar on my red 914 too. Just added 911 a-arms, t-bars, swaybar, and aluminum crossmember while keeping 914 4-lug hubs & struts. Huge improvement in handling for about a 3-4 hour bolt-on job.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jasons
post Feb 5 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Theres two ways to install 911 struts on your 914. Just get the struts and bolt them in with your control arms and crossmember. Or, get the whole 911 front end, w/ crossmember, control arms and sway bar attached. Basically all 911 parts from hub to hub.

This gives you 2 ways to add a sway bar to your 914. If you just bolt the struts in, you will need the thru-body 914 sway bar. So, you could install this sway bar now, add struts later. This sway bar requires some metal work. you have to weld the mounts to the body where the sway bar passes thru under the tank. And, weld the tabs on the control arms where the sway bar links attach.

If you go with the 911 parts hub to hub, you don't have to do the welding work since the sway bar is part of the 911 setup. But, you have to buy the whole enchilada up front. Front suspension, rear hubs, and 5-lug wheels.

TOP pic is a Complete 911 hub to hub setup. You can see the 911 sway bar at the top of the pic. If you just do the struts, you would only need the strut housings, hubs, brake rotors and calipers. LOWER pic. And, you would need to do minor welding work to install a 914 sway bar.

EDIT: Upon further review.... One caveat could be the year of your car. If you have an early car (70,71,possibly 72), I don't think you can just bolt the front struts in. Or, at the very least you need early 911 struts. Because IIRC they were link pin and not ball joint until 72.5.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Feb 5 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #18

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Member No.: 7,632
Region Association: Northstar Region

Mild hijack . . . . I bought a complete Carrera front end: Bilstein struts, rotors, calipers, aluminum crossmember, steering rack, arms and underbody anti-sway (anti-roll) bar.

I was planning on installing the whole thing including the underbody antisway. But, I've never seen one on a teener, only the through body even on cars with Carrera front ends.

Which is better for our cars, underbody or through body and why?
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Feb 5 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #19

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

I have a complete 911 suspension including the underbody swaybar. Rides pretty firm. Steering rack was good, so I left the original in place.

QUOTE(Chuck @ Feb 5 2008, 07:32 AM) *

Mild hijack . . . . I bought a complete Carrera front end: Bilstein struts, rotors, calipers, aluminum crossmember, steering rack, arms and underbody anti-sway (anti-roll) bar.

I was planning on installing the whole thing including the underbody antisway. But, I've never seen one on a teener, only the through body even on cars with Carrera front ends.

Which is better for our cars, underbody or through body and why?

+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 5 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

With regard to the under car sway bar; Are different rate bars available, and do they make adjustable one's?
I have a complete '89 Carrera front end on mine.

Thanks,

Andys
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:57 AM