Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GAS Tank Removal, Flushing, and/or Replacement, 914 Gas Tank with Bad Gas
rebelmdot
post Feb 6 2008, 07:08 AM
Post #1

914ini

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

The 1972 1.7 I just got had some bad gas when I pulled the fuel line off of the Fuel Pump. This leads me to believe that there is some if not plenty of bad gas in the tank. My questions are these: Is there a flush that I can do while tank is still in car? If not and removal is necessary, what procedure, flush, is recommended? If tank removal is necessary, I have Watson's book and Haynes manual, are these the best way to remove? Once removed is cleaning and treating best option or replacement? Where can I get either the flush or new tank? Thank you, again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 6 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Use a siphon to drain the tank while it is in the car. If the gas is bad, dispose of it legally. if it is okay, put it in another car and use it.

Put fresh gas in the car, and you should be good to go. No tank pulling needed.

Now, if the gas is really bad, and has turned to varnish in the fuel lines, you will need to replace the lines and fuel filter, and that is easier to do with the tank out. But try the easy stuff first.

Zach

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Feb 6 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #3

914ini

Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 6 2008, 08:10 AM) *

Use a siphon to drain the tank while it is in the car. If the gas is bad, dispose of it legally. if it is okay, put it in another car and use it.

Put fresh gas in the car, and you should be good to go. No tank pulling needed.

Now, if the gas is really bad, and has turned to varnish in the fuel lines, you will need to replace the lines and fuel filter, and that is easier to do with the tank out. But try the easy stuff first.

Zach

Zach thank you for your replies to both recent posts. In one of your threads, you purchased a mig welder. How did the one that you purchased work out for you? What were its capabilities.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 7 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

If you decide not to pull the tank, at least take off the top filler area once it's drained and look inside with a flash light to insure there is no rust in the tank.
The tanks come out real easy. While you have it drained might not be a bad idea to replace the lower fuel lines and clean the screen( tank needs to be pulled for that). Pulling the tank, there is the one strap with a screw that secures it. Just unscrew that and take the top filler portion off. One person can pull the tank. When I do mine, I'll put a thick blanket on it as a buffer in case it accidently hits the hood on removal.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:07 AM