Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need the V8 tach modification "How to", Searched and came up with no details..
Dr. Roger
post Feb 6 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #1

A bat out of hell.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

Looking for details on the V8 tach modification.

A "how to" and a pic would be awesome. Maybe even borderline stupendous.

=)

On a side note:
I hooked up my ancient speedo tonight and an interesting thing happened. At 15 MPH it read 30. At 60 it went to 100. Then got stuck at 30 and never moved from there. I guess it's due for a tune-up/cleaning. So in the mean time I have a 911 gauge I'll install tomorrow morning and try it out. Hookup looks exactly the same.

Still need that tach mod though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Peace,
Roger
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 7 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

one way to do it:
(scroll down)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=tach++face
+Quote Post
brer
post Feb 7 2008, 02:14 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736
Region Association: None

I have a VDO tach for an 8 cyl. if you find the need for one.
cheap.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 7 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Here ya go! Contact Mark (Marks914) He'll do what ever you like.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=72389&hl=
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
marks914
post Feb 7 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

Send it to me, I will not only make it into a V8 tach, but it gets fully refurbished and a redline of whatever style and placement you want
only $150

Mark

(IMG:http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/41012/2001892860057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/28353/2851033840057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/42603/2179585910057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/23149/2570480490057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 7 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #6

A bat out of hell.

Thank you all,

I am really just looking for the tach modification. If that doesn't work out I will probably be going to eitherMarks product or a creation of my own. =)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Feb 7 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
(I could use that tach mod as well, if anyone has the info.)

Right now using a autometer that fits in fine, but wouldn't mine the stock unit.

Also, if there is an adjustment screw on the speedometer anyone knows of?
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #8

A bat out of hell.

Bob B. (BIGKAT_83) is the author of this solution.

This is the newer style 914 tachometer with the single turn signal indicator light. You can calibrate this for a V8 engine by adding a 15k ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 15k ohm resistor. This then gives you enough adjustment with the pot to calibrate this for the V8. Before I put the tach back together, I wired the tachometer up with jumpers and adjusted pot with the engine running and compared to another (auto meter) tach.

The older style tachometer with the dual turn signal indicator lights has a different calibration board. There is not an adjustment pot for it. I’ve got an extra early tach in working order and the first chance I get I’m going to try to recalibrate it.

Thank you Bob!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 16 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #9

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM) *

Bob B. (BIGKAT_83) is the author of this solution.

This is the newer style 914 tachometer with the single turn signal indicator light. You can calibrate this for a V8 engine by adding a 15k ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 15k ohm resistor. This then gives you enough adjustment with the pot to calibrate this for the V8. Before I put the tach back together, I wired the tachometer up with jumpers and adjusted pot with the engine running and compared to another (auto meter) tach.

The older style tachometer with the dual turn signal indicator lights has a different calibration board. There is not an adjustment pot for it. I’ve got an extra early tach in working order and the first chance I get I’m going to try to recalibrate it.

Thank you Bob!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Resurrecting an old thread… Okay, so I have a tach dated 9/74… the one with the calibration pot. I want to convert it for v8 use. I am looking in the same area as in your photo. My tach already has 3 resistors mounted on the board (see foto)! As far as I know this tach came out of a 4 cylinder car. What gives! It does have a 0.22 capacitor in place. Somewhere around this forum, I also saw someone who replaced the 0.22 uf cap with a 0.10 uf cap with the same results. Also, I can figure out how to replace one cap with another, but please explain/show how to run one resistor parallel with another!! Any thoughts?
Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #10

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184

the gauge you have pictured is not the later style that Dr. Roger refers to. The 1975 and 1976 tach has one indicator light for the turn signal and the needle is different. The pic below is the gauge he is using i believe. Your tach may be a transition year old style with adj. pot, but no really sure.

If you look closely the layout of the two circuit boards is different with different components.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 17 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #11

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM) *

the gauge you have pictured is not the later style that Dr. Roger refers to. The 1975 and 1976 tach has one indicator light for the turn signal and the needle is different. The pic below is the gauge he is using i believe. Your tach may be a transition year old style with adj. pot, but no really sure.

If you look closely the layout of the two circuit boards is different with different components.

Attached Image

Good catch! I should have explained further. My car is a '71, and has white faced gauges (which I like). I had a '74 tach laying around, so I decided to swap. What you see is the '74 innards mounted to the '71 face.

There may have been transition models; but I am unsure. What I know is that the '71 mechanism has no calibration pot, while the '74 does. I've been trying to fine out why the tach I have looks slighty different than the other late style innards. As always, more information is needed!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:06 AM