Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine shroud and alternator on a /6, removal in the car
krk
post Mar 16 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

And you thought this thread was dead. Shame on you. No "fixing a 914 thread" is ever really dead. Not 'till the great red one silences the beast.

So, I have two missions tonight, based on a camera card that is getting full and a list of things that need to be updated. A couple of final pics on this thread is one of them.

The /6 runs pretty well now. That's credit to David Modderman (of Modderman Porsche Service in Mountainview) who got this puppy when I ran out of time. He retuned the carbs and the car runs pretty well. (I'm driving it daily, and the roof has been in the trunk for a week now since I got it back -- gotta love CA!) Accelerator sticks a bit (I have some worn parts to replace) and there are engine oil leaks I have to look at. C'est la vie.

But I do have some final pics of cleaning the oil cooler with Brake Cleaner. This was suggested by Gint earlier -- my wrench said "be really careful -- it's very flamable and if the exhaust is hot you will not enjoy the experience!" I mentioned earlier that the brake cleaner may have messed with the exhaust -- I was totally wrong.

So here are the pics (before/after) of the oil cleaning exercise in one place.

First the before. For those new to this part, the /6 has a channel to funnel air from the fan into the top of the oil cooler. On an 914, it is visible on the top of the shroud from the fan, back to the rear of the engine on the driver's side. Oil leaks, or any other crap entering the fan, are well funnelled to the top of the cooler.

Before Pic.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 16 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #82

Nother before.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 16 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #83

My cleaning approach: First I used a shop vac with an appropriate attachment to clean off as much debris from the top that I could. Next step is to spray cans of brake cleaner down until you are bored. I used a turkey pan to catch the drippings. It will drain over the exhaust on the drivers side.

I used up 2 large cans of brake cleaner. It's not obvious when you should stop. I quit when it didn't seem to be draining anything with particles in it. But it's very subjective.
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 16 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #84

Oops. The Pic!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 16 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #85

And finally, for the really perverse -- you need to see what drained out.

Here is the turkey pan.

I know -- nothing stirs the soul like someone cleaning old crap out of something. What a great way to end a thread!

love, kim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Carl
post Mar 16 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #86

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Well, THAT gives a whole new meaning to basting the Butterball. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Are you gonna save that for Thanksgiving with the in-laws?

That "before" photo looks like the cholesterol buildup after a lifetime of Big Macs.

Good job getting the job done.

C
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 17 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #87

Carl,

I'm not sure it's safe to pick on hamburgers on this board. You know how politically correct we are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But there is no doubt that the car runs cooler. Even after only a week of being back in service, the temp gauge tells the story. Gum up your cooler and you will pay. I had no idea of course, so I was looking into under car flaps (prolly will still install them) and so forth, but if your cooler is plugged up, none of that will matter.

kim.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 17 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #88

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It looks great... now. Nice work Kim. I'll be tearing into my leaks and grime in a month or so.
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 17 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #89

I have one last pic. There are old webers and new webers. The carb on the left is an old one, and the newer on is on the right. The tell-tale is the quality of surfacing that is done on the outside casting. Inside these carbs look pretty much the same. They got chinzy over time and the outer casting was left rougher.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
krk
post Mar 17 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #90

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 16 2004, 10:09 PM)
It looks great... now. Nice work Kim. I'll be tearing into my leaks and grime in a month or so.

I'm not sure I envy you or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's certainly *way* easier if the engine is out of the car, so I suspect you're way ahead of the game!

kim.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jan 15 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 3,061

Since I have a 914-6 that I am restoring now, It would be cheaper in the long run to install a rebuilt / new alternator at rebuild than to have to change one later. NEXT THOUGHT ! How about for a "quick disconnect" of the wires using a Trailor Plug. The kind with the large contacts for trailer braking since the main hot wire goes throught there.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 15 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #92

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The time has come to move this thread to the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:22 PM