Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Teener Initial Assessment, Did some work and did an assessment
stephenaki
post Feb 24 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Can I get this one dad??

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

OK, went in to do some work on the teener and do an initial assessment. I worked on replacing the stuck spark plug first figuring that was going to be a royal PITA. Now, Sir Andy will have to answer this, what happened to all the big and strong Germans?

Sprayed the plug with WD-40, got some tools, came back and the plug came right out. So your telling me a short stocky half-Chinaman can work the plug out when the Germanys can’t? Maybe it’s like the jar that won’t open; the other guy works it loose and then it comes off easy for the second guy. Either that or all the Germans have gone soft. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

So that was an easy fix. Now lets tackle the head and check to see if they are tightened to specs. Dangit, gotta take off the tin. So we start undoing screws and bolts. I pause to talk to a guy who is a mechanic my co-worker told me about and in our conversation I we discuss the smoke coming out of the back and Scotty’s (other mechanic) assessment that the head is loose. PJ, guy I am talking to says, “did it smoke before you put in the diesel?” I tell him no. He then says, don’t mess with the head, its fine. You still got diesel in the system and that is why she is blowing smoke. Well, that would make sense!

So I put the bolts and screws back on, by the way, after some research I got the set adjusted so I could reach the pedals. Thanks to everyone who discussed it, it helped a lot. So, tin is back together. Set up the lift arms and hoist her up to take a look.

Suspension assessment.
1. Front suspension is stock, don’t know when the cartridges were last changed. Everything is solid.
2. Rear suspension, KYB shocks with coil overs. SWEET! Doesn’t look bad at all. Lets look at the mounting consoles for the trailing arms. Hmm, they look solid. I had to push hard to get the arms to move. They would move left, towards the outside of the car, but not much. I couldn’t get them to move right. I am thinking the bushing may eventually need replacement but, Ingo was on crack. By the way, I found out that Ingo ISN’T the mechanic and DOESN’T know much about the car.
3. Overall the suspension looks to be in good shape despite what Mittelmotor thought.

Exhaust.
1. UGLY! Headers into a dual exhaust setup. Looks rough.
2. Right side exhaust mount into engine has a mounting stud missing. Going to have to fix that.
3. Overall it works but I will change it back to stock style set up and put on the heat exchangers after I clean up the exchanger parts.

Engine.
1. Dual Delorto carbs, distributor was tightened. Carbs in good shape.
2. Wiring in engine compartment will need some repair and replacement, I see a lot of electrical tape keeping the wiring together and a lot of splicing.
3. Left carb has a tube coming off it and a bolt stuck into the other end of the tube. What the hell? Anyone have any ideas?

Body.
1. Minor rust bubbles that I will have to fix.
2. All seals for cabin will need replacement and windshield outer seal needs replacement.
3. Lights need adjustment to lay right with the hood.
4. Rear trunk latch, female end is hosed.
5. Pretty littel "Porsche" reflector needs replacement, ripped it off to open the trunk. It was beat up anyway.
6. New side mirrors and rearview mirror will be needed.

Overall, car is not nearly as bad as Ingo made it out to be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Pictures are below, take a look and someone tell me what the hell the tube from the carb is supposed to do. Also, do I need to undo the nuts on the rear console to get a better look to make sure it hasn't "ovaled" out?

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG1825.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG1826.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG1818.jpg)

(IMG:http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/stephenaki/Porsche%20914/CIMG1827.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stephenaki   Teener Initial Assessment   Feb 24 2008, 01:32 PM
SirAndy   Either that or all the Germans have gone soft. :r...   Feb 24 2008, 04:13 PM
crash914   From what I have read else wear, That exhaust coul...   Feb 25 2008, 06:56 AM
orange914   From what I have read else wear, That exhaust cou...   Feb 26 2008, 12:56 AM
jr91472   Do you know what type of Dell that is? I did a qu...   Feb 25 2008, 07:42 AM
stephenaki   Do you know what type of Dell that is? I did a q...   Feb 25 2008, 08:33 AM
rhodyguy   take a picture of a carb with one of the filter to...   Feb 25 2008, 08:41 AM
stephenaki   Got email fromt the PO, said the carbs are Dellort...   Feb 26 2008, 12:48 AM
jr91472   Any recommendations on a good manual for the Del...   Feb 27 2008, 11:55 AM
gopack   Any recommendations on a good manual for the De...   Feb 27 2008, 11:57 AM
GWN7   If the bolt hole was ovaled, you should see some s...   Feb 26 2008, 01:26 AM
stephenaki   If the bolt hole was ovaled, you should see some ...   Feb 26 2008, 01:59 AM
roadster fan   I believe my Haynes say 108 ft/lbs for that nut. ...   Feb 26 2008, 05:57 AM
davep   Clymer manual says; Trailing arm to body nut 50...   Feb 28 2008, 07:54 AM
stephenaki   Thanks for the info on the nut, I will check specs...   Feb 27 2008, 12:53 AM
purple   As someone that had a dual exhaust somewhat simila...   Feb 27 2008, 10:18 AM
Racer Chris   Replace the torn CV boot before you start driving ...   Feb 27 2008, 02:27 PM
stephenaki   Replace the torn CV boot before you start driving...   Feb 28 2008, 06:51 AM
stephenaki   OK, got the fuse block in yesterday, after the hai...   Mar 1 2008, 02:16 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:13 PM