Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best inexpensive header, suggestions?
Brando
post Feb 29 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #1

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I can't plop down the $1k+ for a tangerine, so I need some direction on an inexpensive, durable (read: wont rust like madness), clean (read: won't leak so I can fab up heat). I'm not sure what a decent one will cost... Definitely looking for a boost over SSI's in performance.

My guesses are...

Euro-Race
Kerry Hunter
???

thanks for your input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 29 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 29 2008, 04:26 PM) *

I can't plop down the $1k+ for a tangerine, so I need some direction on an inexpensive, durable (read: wont rust like madness), clean (read: won't leak so I can fab up heat). I'm not sure what a decent one will cost... Definitely looking for a boost over SSI's in performance.

My guesses are...

Euro-Race
Kerry Hunter
???

thanks for your input.

Kerry does not do them any more. MSDS is the best for the price (less than 550.00) and the super trap bolts right on. Marty is known for getting higher horsepower than anyone out of his exhausts and headers.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Feb 29 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #3

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Sweet. If I ever go six, I can use an MSDS header (they don't have a 4-cyl header listed on their site).

So, 4 cylinder options?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 1 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

http://www.triadwestperformance.com/
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 1 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 29 2008, 08:01 PM) *

Sweet. If I ever go six, I can use an MSDS header (they don't have a 4-cyl header listed on their site).

So, 4 cylinder options?

Brando, the T-4 race header that we build is ONLY avilable thru Auto Atlanta (contract build). Check their site in the 914 engine/ exhaust area and it will come up. Good HP/TQ for the price !
Marty
msds
+Quote Post
Brando
post Mar 2 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #6

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Thanks Marty, I greatly appreciate your reply. I sent you a reply as well. I will if I absolutely have to but ...

The system you make works good with a modified 2056 engine?
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 3 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

I have a eurorace header and it sounds very nice. it's a bit of a bitch to work around and mine leaks at the collector, but it has little stub pipes that make in easy to take on and off. you need to modify the clutch pulley bracket to make the clutch cable not melt on the header...that's what i'm dealing with right now
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 3 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(purple @ Mar 3 2008, 08:47 AM) *

I have a eurorace header and it sounds very nice. it's a bit of a bitch to work around and mine leaks at the collector, but it has little stub pipes that make in easy to take on and off. you need to modify the clutch pulley bracket to make the clutch cable not melt on the header...that's what i'm dealing with right now

Did you put header wrap on the header, or a thermal sleeve on the cable (or both?)

From what I have read, at minimum you need the sleeve on the cable (I have read both throttle and clutch) or else the heat from the header will wreck them.

Header wrap should also help with engine cooling, as it will direct the heat out the tail pipe, and not let it radiate from the pipes back into the engine and tranny.
Header wrap may allow the header to rust out faster though, as it will allow moisture to collect. I intend to wrap it up anyhow.

Zach
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 3 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 3 2008, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Mar 3 2008, 08:47 AM) *

Did you put header wrap on the header, or a thermal sleeve on the cable (or both?)

From what I have read, at minimum you need the sleeve on the cable (I have read both throttle and clutch) or else the heat from the header will wreck them.

Header wrap should also help with engine cooling, as it will direct the heat out the tail pipe, and not let it radiate from the pipes back into the engine and tranny.
Header wrap may allow the header to rust out faster though, as it will allow moisture to collect. I intend to wrap it up anyhow.

Zach

i have sleeves on the cables, and the point is to NOT have direct contact. The clutch cable is quite persnickety and likes to push down HARD onto the manifold. this melts the catheter inside the cable making for a really 'cabley' pedal feel. I'm not wrapping the headers. they will destroy themselves in no time flat from what i've read on the topic. jet hot coating would work better, but i'm not doing that. drilling a hole in a pulley bracket is pretty easy and requires no money, so i'm doing that.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 3 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #10

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

One way to help the cable clear the header:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jasons
post Mar 3 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #11

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 3 2008, 08:57 AM) *

I only have a thermal sheath on the cables, and I doubled it up where its near the header. Also, I bolted an "Adell" clamp on the case where the now non-existent guide plate (The one that would go under the pushrod tubes and mounts between the case and the heat exchangers) used to be to help guide the cables. . My cable appear to be holding up fine. BUT, I haven't pulled the thermal sheath off to see.

This is the sheath I used....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 3 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 3 2008, 05:08 PM) *

Interesting! I hadnt thought to go UNDER then header! Wouldnt it be kinda easy to catch it on stuff hanging that low?

Looks like the pulley bracket is cut at the top. what kind of metal is that little extension made of? 1/4'' steel?
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 3 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Attached Image
QUOTE(Brando @ Mar 2 2008, 07:26 PM) *

Thanks Marty, I greatly appreciate your reply. I sent you a reply as well. I will if I absolutely have to but ...

The system you make works good with a modified 2056 engine?

The header system works well up thru 2.2 Ltr. T-4s, no problem on your 2056 !
We highly suggest NO wraps of any kind on our (any mfgs) exhaust systems. It basically accelerates the corrosive process by trapping moisture and rusting thru the tubing of the header/ exhaust/muffler. We deny any warranty claims on MSDS items that have been wrapped, and most other mfgs do likewise.
If your looking to keep heat away from engine components, thermal sleeve the cables, or spend a little more $$ and send your exhaust out for ceramic coating.
The HBs in the pic of our 2.0 CI class engine (shown here) are coated in Xtreme(brand) metallic ceramic coating (Oxnard CA). After 20 minutes engine shutdown you can touch the exhaust system.
Marty
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Mar 4 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 1 2008, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 29 2008, 08:01 PM) *

So, 4 cylinder options?

Brando, the T-4 race header that we build is ONLY avilable thru Auto Atlanta (contract build). Check their site in the 914 engine/ exhaust area and it will come up. Good HP/TQ for the price !
Marty
msds

...looked twice, didn't see 'em.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 4 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #15

En Garde!

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Mar 4 2008, 06:30 AM) *

Marty
msds

Page 39, top of the page. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Yeah, I do keep my AA cat at work. I do most of my shopping at work.

Zach
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 4 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #16

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(purple @ Mar 3 2008, 09:28 PM) *

Interesting! I hadnt thought to go UNDER then header! Wouldnt it be kinda easy to catch it on stuff hanging that low?

Looks like the pulley bracket is cut at the top. what kind of metal is that little extension made of? 1/4'' steel?

NO mods to the pulley bracket required. the tab is just over an inch long, 13ga sheet metal.
I used to use that setup on my race car until the last round of lowering. It never hit the ground.
I am about to add a new product to my line-up that relocates the pulley bracket to a horizontal position and routes the cable above the pipes. It is fully tested on my race car, and I have several in stock, just haven't found time to take installation pics for my website.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 4 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 4 2008, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Mar 3 2008, 09:28 PM) *

NO mods to the pulley bracket required. the tab is just over an inch long, 13ga sheet metal.
I used to use that setup on my race car until the last round of lowering. It never hit the ground.
I am about to add a new product to my line-up that relocates the pulley bracket to a horizontal position and routes the cable above the pipes. It is fully tested on my race car, and I have several in stock, just haven't found time to take installation pics for my website.

In the name of all that is holy....put me on the list for one of these! Please? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 4 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #18

hold on...13ga sheet metal? as in .0897 inches thick? that holds up to anything? what is is that? Like 3/32'' ? i was thinking something a little more substantial would do the trick? am I wrong?

http://www.coasteltools.com/tech_steel_gauge_chart.htm is where i get the number
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 4 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #19

En Garde!

as sheet metal goes, 13 gauge is kinda thick. Your car is built from thinner stuff.

Zach
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Mar 4 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 4 2008, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Mar 4 2008, 06:30 AM) *

Marty
msds

Page 39, top of the page. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Yeah, I do keep my AA cat at work. I do most of my shopping at work.

Zach

oh, yea but see, uhhh, Marty said look at the SITE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) heh heh... thanks tho Zach, i'll check the uber-awsome-volume-of-gold-that-is-the-a.a.-catalog.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:15 PM