Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I think I found out what my problem, is.. the one about my car stalling..
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #1

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

What happens when you are in 5th, and you run out of gas? I ask this because in 23 years, I have never run out of gas a single time in a teener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think I lose 80% fuel flow.. I think I have shit in the lines.

When I got this car, they had 'forgotten' to clean the tank, it was CRUSTY, and had pieces of liner hanging in the fuel, not to mention the rust of sitting with a 10th a tank for a couple years.

So, that was all taken care of, although I never had this problem when the tank was terrible. I recently (uhh the week before this started?) used a healthy dose of injector cleaner, and I think it found something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It feels as if a little Karl is plugging the fuel line, the gen-oil lights come on, until the fuel is unrestricted..

I think.

You think?

What is the prescribed method of clearing the lines, completely? Pressurized fuel, in a loop? Turn up the pressure to 60, and run a tank into a bucket? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
DNHunt
post Jan 13 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

M

Check the fuel filter first. Particularily if it is in the rear it's gonna be full of crap. The alternator light sounds kinda funny to me. I wonder if you have a wire that's shorting to ground and messing with the ignition. Not much help I know.

Good luck

Dave
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jan 13 2004, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

It's Qarl. tank you very much!!!!
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 13 2004, 09:44 AM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Miles,

those that were in attendance at the MUSR might remember my car having similar issues. I think there was crud in the tank. THe highway drive from SF didn't do much to get rid of the crud, but the twisty, hilly roads in Hot Springs seemed to cause it to break free. I had to clean my jets almost every hour. Near the end of the weekend it was starting to get better. By the time I got home all is good. I've cleaned the jets once since I've been home.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 13 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #5

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hmmmmm......

I had a little problem over Christmas. My VW van began bucking when I was almost out of gas and it was cold. Thought it might be water. Added new gas (same station) and some cleaner and it reoccurred after 1/2 a tank.

Went out into the snow and pulled the hose off the filter and an opaque clay colored liquid ran out. Found the quart sized filter was full of something that didn't resemble gas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Began draining the tank and more crud came out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bottom line, there must have been 3/4 inch of crud in the botom of my tank and it took a trip to the car wash with the tank and a deadblow hammer to hose it out.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Took the tank home, rinsed it with alcohol and inspected it to find almost no rust.

Last time I buy gas from that BP station. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Jan 13 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Miles,
Have you posted so much that you are now in a regression mode on the number of posts or did you just roll the mileage counter over? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Jan 13 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #7

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288

I would replace them with steel lines and clean the injectors with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner? Go buy one for cleaning jewelery and then take it to a kitchen shop and find a glass bowl or tray or container which will wedge into the cleaner.

Fill with Berrymans and go!

Harbor Freight has one for $39, but that wouldn't be a fun...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Damn! It's done it to me twice today!

Last time, it stalled dead (@70mph) and I rolled it about 100 yards, then let out on the clutch, nothing for 5-6 seconds then POW!!! Triads make awesome backfire noise.

Thanks for all the tips... tank was redone, I guess now I need to go at all the other parts... LIKE I HAVE TIME FOR THIS SHIT!

(you know who you are)

M
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jan 13 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My 53 chev coupe used to do that. Driv'n along & then nuthing... coast..... coast some more then POW! off I'd go. Was kinda fun until it decided to return fire as I passed a cop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) scared the donutshit outta him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) got a nice ticket too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (no humor) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) asshole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
but that was deffinetly the ignition.........loose wire

............b
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #10

Damnit Bruce! Stop taking me back to the thing I have been chasing for almost a month!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Which wire!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ok, The gas tank was done, so I am going to take the ignition system completely apart, and start over.. we can't make it fail, it just does when it does..

Thanks..

M
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 13 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Miles, I had a similar prob a year ago. Damn thing would just die, then start again a few minutes later. Turned out to be the dumbest thing. Clogged air filter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #12

Question: Is the anything that WON'T cause my car's symptoms? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ok, it's tune-up time next week, I am looking to rebuild her, from the ground up..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M (if you see me coasting, just wait a minute)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jan 13 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Hellions asleep

QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 13 2004, 05:38 PM)
Damnit Bruce! Stop taking me back to the thing I have been chasing for almost a month!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Which wire!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

the one that goes where the key thingy goes. I could jiggle it & away I'd goooooooo

..........b
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #14

No shit.... you know Bruce, I never even looked there.. if the key is in the...

Should everything else operate, headlamps, all everything? It all works, except for ignition.. sounds silly...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

M
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 13 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #15

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

Miles, I have heard that little white thingy in their (key ignition) is very succeptible to wear.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jan 13 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #16

Hellions asleep

I like revelations... they make my head swim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
cheap high (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

........b
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 13 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #17

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

the plastic part of the key doodad makes it hard to start the car(happened to me)....replace it for 12 bucks, and eliminate a possibility of failure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 13 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #18

Well... I have had ignition switches go out in other cars... but they just wouldn't start.. or crank... maybe..

When it happens, say if I stop at the store, and come out after it's been acting up, it will kick over all day, and then the rpms rise slowly, as I am cranking it...... 1...2...9... 50... 93.. 147... 169... 200... then it lives on it's own..

Make any sense?

M
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jan 14 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #19

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

The white plastic ignition switch which is located behind the ignition key cylinder can do some wierd stuff. I've had two fail on my car. The first took me days to figure out. The second a few hours until I remembered the first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) It was quite a few years after the first.

In my case the car would crank but not run when the key was released. Or run for a short time then die. This would initially occur occasionally, then constantly as the switch failed.

It's a VW beetle part. Pretty cheap. I should add a spare in my spare parts collection.

Mike
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Jan 14 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 564

QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 13 2004, 03:04 PM)

Last time, it stalled dead (@70mph) and I rolled it about 100 yards, then let out on the clutch, nothing for 5-6 seconds then POW!!!

That sounds like when I do a "plug test" -
You're supposed to cut the engine off at speed, under load, then pull the plug, and check the color (because idling down afterwards will change the results).

So when I'd do a plug test, I'd drive along, at speed, full-out, and cut the engine, and coast to a stop on the side of the road - but I'd get this very loud explosion from the muffler about 5-10 seconds later.

I assumed this was from the ignition being cut off, but the engine still pumping air and gas through - the atomized gasoline/air mixture got into the muffler, and hit something hot enough to cause ignition. . .

Ever hear of a Fuel-Air bomb? Daisy Cutter? Ring any bells?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:33 PM