Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I found out what my problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
What happens when you are in 5th, and you run out of gas? I ask this because in 23 years, I have never run out of gas a single time in a teener. smile.gif

I think I lose 80% fuel flow.. I think I have shit in the lines.

When I got this car, they had 'forgotten' to clean the tank, it was CRUSTY, and had pieces of liner hanging in the fuel, not to mention the rust of sitting with a 10th a tank for a couple years.

So, that was all taken care of, although I never had this problem when the tank was terrible. I recently (uhh the week before this started?) used a healthy dose of injector cleaner, and I think it found something. smile.gif

It feels as if a little Karl is plugging the fuel line, the gen-oil lights come on, until the fuel is unrestricted..

I think.

You think?

What is the prescribed method of clearing the lines, completely? Pressurized fuel, in a loop? Turn up the pressure to 60, and run a tank into a bucket? laugh.gif

M
DNHunt
M

Check the fuel filter first. Particularily if it is in the rear it's gonna be full of crap. The alternator light sounds kinda funny to me. I wonder if you have a wire that's shorting to ground and messing with the ignition. Not much help I know.

Good luck

Dave
Qarl
It's Qarl. tank you very much!!!!
seanery
Miles,

those that were in attendance at the MUSR might remember my car having similar issues. I think there was crud in the tank. THe highway drive from SF didn't do much to get rid of the crud, but the twisty, hilly roads in Hot Springs seemed to cause it to break free. I had to clean my jets almost every hour. Near the end of the weekend it was starting to get better. By the time I got home all is good. I've cleaned the jets once since I've been home.
Katmanken
Hmmmmm......

I had a little problem over Christmas. My VW van began bucking when I was almost out of gas and it was cold. Thought it might be water. Added new gas (same station) and some cleaner and it reoccurred after 1/2 a tank.

Went out into the snow and pulled the hose off the filter and an opaque clay colored liquid ran out. Found the quart sized filter was full of something that didn't resemble gas. blink.gif

Began draining the tank and more crud came out. sad.gif

Bottom line, there must have been 3/4 inch of crud in the botom of my tank and it took a trip to the car wash with the tank and a deadblow hammer to hose it out.
ar15.gif ar15.gif

Took the tank home, rinsed it with alcohol and inspected it to find almost no rust.

Last time I buy gas from that BP station. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Ken
MJHanna
Miles,
Have you posted so much that you are now in a regression mode on the number of posts or did you just roll the mileage counter over? driving-girl.gif beer3.gif
Red-Beard
I would replace them with steel lines and clean the injectors with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Don't have an ultrasonic cleaner? Go buy one for cleaning jewelery and then take it to a kitchen shop and find a glass bowl or tray or container which will wedge into the cleaner.

Fill with Berrymans and go!

Harbor Freight has one for $39, but that wouldn't be a fun...
redshift
Damn! It's done it to me twice today!

Last time, it stalled dead (@70mph) and I rolled it about 100 yards, then let out on the clutch, nothing for 5-6 seconds then POW!!! Triads make awesome backfire noise.

Thanks for all the tips... tank was redone, I guess now I need to go at all the other parts... LIKE I HAVE TIME FOR THIS SHIT!

(you know who you are)

M
Bruce Allert
My 53 chev coupe used to do that. Driv'n along & then nuthing... coast..... coast some more then POW! off I'd go. Was kinda fun until it decided to return fire as I passed a cop. laugh.gif scared the donutshit outta him ohmy.gif got a nice ticket too mad.gif (no humor) rolleyes.gif asshole happy11.gif
but that was deffinetly the ignition.........loose wire

............b
redshift
Damnit Bruce! Stop taking me back to the thing I have been chasing for almost a month!

finger.gif

Which wire!? laugh.gif

Ok, The gas tank was done, so I am going to take the ignition system completely apart, and start over.. we can't make it fail, it just does when it does..

Thanks..

M
TheCabinetmaker
Miles, I had a similar prob a year ago. Damn thing would just die, then start again a few minutes later. Turned out to be the dumbest thing. Clogged air filter ohmy.gif
redshift
Question: Is the anything that WON'T cause my car's symptoms? laugh.gif

Ok, it's tune-up time next week, I am looking to rebuild her, from the ground up..

smile.gif

M (if you see me coasting, just wait a minute)
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 13 2004, 05:38 PM)
Damnit Bruce! Stop taking me back to the thing I have been chasing for almost a month!

finger.gif

Which wire!? laugh.gif

the one that goes where the key thingy goes. I could jiggle it & away I'd goooooooo

..........b
redshift
No shit.... you know Bruce, I never even looked there.. if the key is in the...

Should everything else operate, headlamps, all everything? It all works, except for ignition.. sounds silly...

laugh.gif

M
seanery
Miles, I have heard that little white thingy in their (key ignition) is very succeptible to wear.
Bruce Allert
I like revelations... they make my head swim blink.gif
cheap high wink.gif

........b
Aaron Cox
the plastic part of the key doodad makes it hard to start the car(happened to me)....replace it for 12 bucks, and eliminate a possibility of failure! mueba.gif
redshift
Well... I have had ignition switches go out in other cars... but they just wouldn't start.. or crank... maybe..

When it happens, say if I stop at the store, and come out after it's been acting up, it will kick over all day, and then the rpms rise slowly, as I am cranking it...... 1...2...9... 50... 93.. 147... 169... 200... then it lives on it's own..

Make any sense?

M
maf914
The white plastic ignition switch which is located behind the ignition key cylinder can do some wierd stuff. I've had two fail on my car. The first took me days to figure out. The second a few hours until I remembered the first! rolleyes.gif It was quite a few years after the first.

In my case the car would crank but not run when the key was released. Or run for a short time then die. This would initially occur occasionally, then constantly as the switch failed.

It's a VW beetle part. Pretty cheap. I should add a spare in my spare parts collection.

Mike
need4speed
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 13 2004, 03:04 PM)

Last time, it stalled dead (@70mph) and I rolled it about 100 yards, then let out on the clutch, nothing for 5-6 seconds then POW!!!

That sounds like when I do a "plug test" -
You're supposed to cut the engine off at speed, under load, then pull the plug, and check the color (because idling down afterwards will change the results).

So when I'd do a plug test, I'd drive along, at speed, full-out, and cut the engine, and coast to a stop on the side of the road - but I'd get this very loud explosion from the muffler about 5-10 seconds later.

I assumed this was from the ignition being cut off, but the engine still pumping air and gas through - the atomized gasoline/air mixture got into the muffler, and hit something hot enough to cause ignition. . .

Ever hear of a Fuel-Air bomb? Daisy Cutter? Ring any bells?
redshift
Well man, I have to say, Triad mufflers sound like a NUKE! BAAAA BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!

It's as loud as... once, I stood between 2 houses.. maybe 30 feet apart, and shot my AR-15..

blink.gif

I hit an uneven spot in the road today, and that instant, trouble.. so I am going to start pulling it apart to find wire trouble, unless you guys can think of a connector I haven't seen yet.

smile.gif

M
swood
What happens when you have -

1) nothing to do

2) a sharp knife

3) a large lime

4) a patient cat

5) too much tequila

6) and it's football season?

ANSWER:
redshift
ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

clap56.gif

m
swood
wink.gif Thought you'd like that.

Mmmm...thirsty. Here kitty kitty!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.