Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help! Electrical problems
Greenguy
post Mar 16 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,402

I’ve got a 1974 914 (USA) that all of a sudden has developed 3 electrical faults. I’m not sure if one fault is causing all three problems or if there are multiple coincidental faults. If anyone out there is good at the 914 electrical system and can give me an idea of how to trouble shoot these faults it would be greatly appreciated. The symptoms are as follows:

1. Right turn signal blows fuse #9, left turn signal operates normally
2. Emergency flasher blows fuse #11
3. Parking lights (first detent of headlight switch) blows fuse #7

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Mar 16 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

sounds like a short on the park lamp or turn signal on the right side, could be front or back lights. look for chaffed on severed wires
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Mar 17 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #3

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

The emergency flasher switch is powered by fuse S11. That power goes to the flasher switch and the hazard/turn signal flasher. From the flasher, the power goes up the steering column to the turn indicator switch. Obviously from there it goes to either the left or right turn signal lights.

*I'd be curious if you removed the turn lamp in the rear, if it would still blow a fuse...

"S9" power goes to the brake light switch at the pedal cluster, then to the rear stop lamps. It goes other places too but first things first.

Sounds like the common denominator is the right rear light bucket and it's associated wiring. Maybe a good place to start poking around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Greenguy
post Mar 17 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 16 2008, 11:11 PM) *

The emergency flasher switch is powered by fuse S11. That power goes to the flasher switch and the hazard/turn signal flasher. From the flasher, the power goes up the steering column to the turn indicator switch. Obviously from there it goes to either the left or right turn signal lights.

*I'd be curious if you removed the turn lamp in the rear, if it would still blow a fuse...

"S9" power goes to the brake light switch at the pedal cluster, then to the rear stop lamps. It goes other places too but first things first.

Sounds like the common denominator is the right rear light bucket and it's associated wiring. Maybe a good place to start poking around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I thought the same thing and disconnected all wires to the right rear bucket and then tried the turn signal left and right...left worked fine, right blew fuse #9. Have not got to the front yet
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Mar 17 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #5

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

what color wires do you have going into, and out from S9?

i don't get the correlation between a S9 circuit symptom fuse being blown at a different fuse. know what I mean?
+Quote Post
pin31
post Mar 17 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,492
Region Association: North East States

I had a similar problem....I'm going by memory...I know it sounds funny but check the license plate lights. My PO has them wired backwards along with the left front turn signal (strange combo of problems).
+Quote Post
Greenguy
post Mar 17 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Roger, the whole thing is baffling me at the moment. Attached are two pics of fuse #9 (prob is pointing at it)Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:56 AM