Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help! Electrical problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greenguy
I’ve got a 1974 914 (USA) that all of a sudden has developed 3 electrical faults. I’m not sure if one fault is causing all three problems or if there are multiple coincidental faults. If anyone out there is good at the 914 electrical system and can give me an idea of how to trouble shoot these faults it would be greatly appreciated. The symptoms are as follows:

1. Right turn signal blows fuse #9, left turn signal operates normally
2. Emergency flasher blows fuse #11
3. Parking lights (first detent of headlight switch) blows fuse #7

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Greg
messix
sounds like a short on the park lamp or turn signal on the right side, could be front or back lights. look for chaffed on severed wires
Dr. Roger

The emergency flasher switch is powered by fuse S11. That power goes to the flasher switch and the hazard/turn signal flasher. From the flasher, the power goes up the steering column to the turn indicator switch. Obviously from there it goes to either the left or right turn signal lights.

*I'd be curious if you removed the turn lamp in the rear, if it would still blow a fuse...

"S9" power goes to the brake light switch at the pedal cluster, then to the rear stop lamps. It goes other places too but first things first.

Sounds like the common denominator is the right rear light bucket and it's associated wiring. Maybe a good place to start poking around. idea.gif
Greenguy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 16 2008, 11:11 PM) *

The emergency flasher switch is powered by fuse S11. That power goes to the flasher switch and the hazard/turn signal flasher. From the flasher, the power goes up the steering column to the turn indicator switch. Obviously from there it goes to either the left or right turn signal lights.

*I'd be curious if you removed the turn lamp in the rear, if it would still blow a fuse...

"S9" power goes to the brake light switch at the pedal cluster, then to the rear stop lamps. It goes other places too but first things first.

Sounds like the common denominator is the right rear light bucket and it's associated wiring. Maybe a good place to start poking around. idea.gif

I thought the same thing and disconnected all wires to the right rear bucket and then tried the turn signal left and right...left worked fine, right blew fuse #9. Have not got to the front yet
Dr. Roger
what color wires do you have going into, and out from S9?

i don't get the correlation between a S9 circuit symptom fuse being blown at a different fuse. know what I mean?
pin31
I had a similar problem....I'm going by memory...I know it sounds funny but check the license plate lights. My PO has them wired backwards along with the left front turn signal (strange combo of problems).
Greenguy
Roger, the whole thing is baffling me at the moment. Attached are two pics of fuse #9 (prob is pointing at it)Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.