Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the farthest you have driven your 914?
How far have you driven your 914?
How far have you driven your 914 on a trip?
250 - 500 miles. [ 70 ] ** [28.57%]
500 - 1000 miles. [ 59 ] ** [24.08%]
1000 miles + [ 116 ] ** [47.35%]
Total Votes: 245
Guests cannot vote 
post Mar 17 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

Would you rather have your 914 on a long journey, or a new Cayman let's say.

Does the fact that you know your old car better than a new "Out of the box" Porsche make the choice any better? Sometimes I would rather have an old, easy to work on car on a very long drive than a computer riddled techno plactic Porsche for the real down and dirty. Allthough our 07 Cayman has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, 80k and going. I thought I would post the question anyway.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tango-52
post Mar 17 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,243
Region Association: Southern California

About 800 miles, but I've only had it for six months. Still refreshing everything.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 17 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #3

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I've driven my first one a mile down the road . . . and I've had it for 6 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Once it warms up I'll put in the new windshield, and then it'll be my summer daily driver. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The sad thing is that we totally stripped the '72 914 when it was running perfectly. The '70 isn't going to enter this discussion, that one has been rolled about 1000ft, and has already had one accident (when rolling) . . .
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 17 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cross country.... I would be more comfortable in a newer car though. I drove an Elise from the Eastern side of South Dakota to Washington and I must say it was much nicer have modern technology on a long trip.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 17 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Just drove mine over 2000 miles round trip to the Route66 and back. Ran like a watch... carbs, oil leaks and all. And I wasn't exactly being gentle with it either.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 17 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

WCC 05 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Seattle to SoCal kicked around Streets o'Willow then back!

I thought it was pretty comfortable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 17 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I forgot... I'm plenty comfy in a 914. The only thing that gets to me is the noise. But I wear headphones now.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Mar 17 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #8

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

I have a 2004 Corvette which does the long haul traveling trips; the 914's have been rebuild projects changing things to what I wanted in a project (V-8 engine conversion; 3.2 Porsche engine conversion). I really like the Cayman, but will not own one. I really appreciate the 914 as a project and look forward to driving it long-haul (Texas to Washington state and all points inbetween). I really like driving the cars that are classics and on their way to becoming classics. It has been said - you learn to know the car well.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 17 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #9

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Alright- us high mileage guys are leading the way! The Caymen is the modern Porsche I want the most. I think it's abilities might seem most like the 914, with a bigger concession toward civility.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Mar 17 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,782

I've driven from Irvine Ca. to Everson WA. (1250 miles) and back twice and have another trip in June. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) What are you nuts! I would love a Caymen and forgive me for saying this but I'd never look back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 17 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

I've just squeaked past the 250 miles mark in one weekend at Willow Springs.
average 10.5 laps per practice session X 2.5 miles X 10 practice sessions per weekend, if nobody oils up the track too much.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 17 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,518

20 miles tops. I only used 10 gallons of gas before it was up on jackstands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 18 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #13

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

last year I drove my 2.0 d jet SD to pheonix, raced 2 days, drove back w race tires in pax seat. drove to streets of willow 4 times same way. drove to Buttonwillow once. drove to Tucson twice. ran AZ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAX at Casa Grande. raced All SD ax. raced all el toro events but one. ran at fontana. drove to green valley AZ twice. drove to vegas. drove to Santa cruz and back. commuted to construction job near LAX for a month. went to monte rey historics. drove thru death valley. bombed many canyon roads everywhere. hit moholland drive while working in LA at least 10 times. carried 3 901s in teh front trunk from long beach. brought back 2 long blocks from Ventura

WOW. thats a list. I never gave it a second thought till this thead. there were a few more. 22mm tortion bars make for great load carrying up there. oh, I forgot the concrete trapezoids for my house foundation. they were at least 100 lbs each. i jacked them from a site in LA. i use it to carry 20 gallons of roof poymer to LA.

build it right and it will go go go. the devil is in teh details. no single mod or measurement or improvement will make this possible. it is teh sum of all teh small details that will make a great reliable car
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 18 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Palo Alto CA -> Portland OR for Parade. ~12 hours each way, blistering heat. The poor lil' car did not like that; the oil temps were pretty high.

Also went from PA -> San Diego last year for Parade; that was only 8-10 hours. We used the coast roads to avoid the worst of the heat--which turned out to be an excellent idea, as the heat was positively murderous according to those who endured it. (Plus they closed the Grapevine and diverted traffic out to Lancaster or some such!)

Those, and a couple of L.A. trips, are the longest I've taken my 914.

--DD
+Quote Post
pete914
post Mar 18 2008, 04:40 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,025

Drove mine from Ohio down through the Appalachian mountains back to Virginia. Almost 500 miles with the detours and such. Amazing gas mileage on the highway, not so much in the city...
I agree, the car can be a bit noisy, but it's spacious for a two-seater. We fit camping and climbing gear for two people no problem.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 18 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #16

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Cross country here. 3500 miles in 3 dasy the day after I bought it.

Now I have cut back to 500 miles round trip with an Autocross in the middle. Ear plug stereo from IPOD. Only thing I haven't solved is stinky rubber in the passenger foot well.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Mar 18 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

Longest trip for me was a 1300 mile round trip from Tampa, FL to Biloxi, MS over a long weekend. No problems, no issues...

The only reason for me to make a long drive is because I want to drive the 914, if not, then I fly....

-- Rob
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 18 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #18

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

tacoma to camarillo to the streets of willow's and home. newmerous day runs to eureka, nbd.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 18 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #19

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602

I just did Rio Rancho, NM to Ormond Beach, FL.

1802 miles over three days in the RS AND Luckie's 2.0. I only replaced points in the 2.0 in east Texas.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Mar 18 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(96740 @ Mar 17 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Would you rather have your 914 on a long journey, or a new Cayman let's say.

Does the fact that you know your old car better than a new "Out of the box" Porsche make the choice any better? Sometimes I would rather have an old, easy to work on car on a very long drive than a computer riddled techno plactic Porsche for the real down and dirty. Allthough our 07 Cayman has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, 30k and going. I thought I would post the question anyway.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Made the trek from eastern Maine to the Portland and San Diego Parades. Both were about the same mileage (3,500 mi, closer to 4k with side trips). Won the long distance award at the Portland Parade and was nudged out by a gent that traveled from Alaska at the San diego Parade.

Only breakdowns was during the return trip from the Portland Parade in Glen Dive, Montana where after awakening from an overnight to find the car in a puddle of fuel. Fuel pump decided to let go. Spent an added day to have a pump overnighted, and 15 minutes to replace.

Other than the 115+ temps encountered both trips in both directions, (A/C would have been nice), I found the 914-6 was very road worthy.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 12:08 AM