Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the farthest you have driven your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
How far have you driven your 914 on a trip?

Would you rather have your 914 on a long journey, or a new Cayman let's say.

Does the fact that you know your old car better than a new "Out of the box" Porsche make the choice any better? Sometimes I would rather have an old, easy to work on car on a very long drive than a computer riddled techno plactic Porsche for the real down and dirty. Allthough our 07 Cayman has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, 80k and going. I thought I would post the question anyway.

driving.gif
tango-52
About 800 miles, but I've only had it for six months. Still refreshing everything.
jd74914
I've driven my first one a mile down the road . . . and I've had it for 6 years. laugh.gif Once it warms up I'll put in the new windshield, and then it'll be my summer daily driver. smile.gif

The sad thing is that we totally stripped the '72 914 when it was running perfectly. The '70 isn't going to enter this discussion, that one has been rolled about 1000ft, and has already had one accident (when rolling) . . .
PeeGreen 914
Cross country.... I would be more comfortable in a newer car though. I drove an Elise from the Eastern side of South Dakota to Washington and I must say it was much nicer have modern technology on a long trip.
Gint
Just drove mine over 2000 miles round trip to the Route66 and back. Ran like a watch... carbs, oil leaks and all. And I wasn't exactly being gentle with it either.
914werke
WCC 05 drunk.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif w00t.gif

Seattle to SoCal kicked around Streets o'Willow then back!

I thought it was pretty comfortable huh.gif confused24.gif
Gint
I forgot... I'm plenty comfy in a 914. The only thing that gets to me is the noise. But I wear headphones now.
shoguneagle
I have a 2004 Corvette which does the long haul traveling trips; the 914's have been rebuild projects changing things to what I wanted in a project (V-8 engine conversion; 3.2 Porsche engine conversion). I really like the Cayman, but will not own one. I really appreciate the 914 as a project and look forward to driving it long-haul (Texas to Washington state and all points inbetween). I really like driving the cars that are classics and on their way to becoming classics. It has been said - you learn to know the car well.

Steve Hurt
SGB
Alright- us high mileage guys are leading the way! The Caymen is the modern Porsche I want the most. I think it's abilities might seem most like the 914, with a bigger concession toward civility.
drive-ability
I've driven from Irvine Ca. to Everson WA. (1250 miles) and back twice and have another trip in June. driving.gif What are you nuts! I would love a Caymen and forgive me for saying this but I'd never look back icon8.gif
sww914
I've just squeaked past the 250 miles mark in one weekend at Willow Springs.
average 10.5 laps per practice session X 2.5 miles X 10 practice sessions per weekend, if nobody oils up the track too much.
Porcharu
20 miles tops. I only used 10 gallons of gas before it was up on jackstands. biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
last year I drove my 2.0 d jet SD to pheonix, raced 2 days, drove back w race tires in pax seat. drove to streets of willow 4 times same way. drove to Buttonwillow once. drove to Tucson twice. ran AZ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAX at Casa Grande. raced All SD ax. raced all el toro events but one. ran at fontana. drove to green valley AZ twice. drove to vegas. drove to Santa cruz and back. commuted to construction job near LAX for a month. went to monte rey historics. drove thru death valley. bombed many canyon roads everywhere. hit moholland drive while working in LA at least 10 times. carried 3 901s in teh front trunk from long beach. brought back 2 long blocks from Ventura

WOW. thats a list. I never gave it a second thought till this thead. there were a few more. 22mm tortion bars make for great load carrying up there. oh, I forgot the concrete trapezoids for my house foundation. they were at least 100 lbs each. i jacked them from a site in LA. i use it to carry 20 gallons of roof poymer to LA.

build it right and it will go go go. the devil is in teh details. no single mod or measurement or improvement will make this possible. it is teh sum of all teh small details that will make a great reliable car
Dave_Darling
Palo Alto CA -> Portland OR for Parade. ~12 hours each way, blistering heat. The poor lil' car did not like that; the oil temps were pretty high.

Also went from PA -> San Diego last year for Parade; that was only 8-10 hours. We used the coast roads to avoid the worst of the heat--which turned out to be an excellent idea, as the heat was positively murderous according to those who endured it. (Plus they closed the Grapevine and diverted traffic out to Lancaster or some such!)

Those, and a couple of L.A. trips, are the longest I've taken my 914.

--DD
pete914
Drove mine from Ohio down through the Appalachian mountains back to Virginia. Almost 500 miles with the detours and such. Amazing gas mileage on the highway, not so much in the city...
I agree, the car can be a bit noisy, but it's spacious for a two-seater. We fit camping and climbing gear for two people no problem.
Joe Ricard
Cross country here. 3500 miles in 3 dasy the day after I bought it.

Now I have cut back to 500 miles round trip with an Autocross in the middle. Ear plug stereo from IPOD. Only thing I haven't solved is stinky rubber in the passenger foot well.
watsonrx13
Longest trip for me was a 1300 mile round trip from Tampa, FL to Biloxi, MS over a long weekend. No problems, no issues...

The only reason for me to make a long drive is because I want to drive the 914, if not, then I fly....

-- Rob
rhodyguy
tacoma to camarillo to the streets of willow's and home. newmerous day runs to eureka, nbd.
Series9
I just did Rio Rancho, NM to Ormond Beach, FL.

1802 miles over three days in the RS AND Luckie's 2.0. I only replaced points in the 2.0 in east Texas.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(96740 @ Mar 17 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Would you rather have your 914 on a long journey, or a new Cayman let's say.

Does the fact that you know your old car better than a new "Out of the box" Porsche make the choice any better? Sometimes I would rather have an old, easy to work on car on a very long drive than a computer riddled techno plactic Porsche for the real down and dirty. Allthough our 07 Cayman has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, 30k and going. I thought I would post the question anyway.

driving.gif

Made the trek from eastern Maine to the Portland and San Diego Parades. Both were about the same mileage (3,500 mi, closer to 4k with side trips). Won the long distance award at the Portland Parade and was nudged out by a gent that traveled from Alaska at the San diego Parade.

Only breakdowns was during the return trip from the Portland Parade in Glen Dive, Montana where after awakening from an overnight to find the car in a puddle of fuel. Fuel pump decided to let go. Spent an added day to have a pump overnighted, and 15 minutes to replace.

Other than the 115+ temps encountered both trips in both directions, (A/C would have been nice), I found the 914-6 was very road worthy.
rick 918-S
Cross country MN to Cali a couple times. Mn to Lancaster MI. around the U.P.
(partly on the trailer that time..)

Cayman Schayman. Anyone can drive an air conditioned sofa across country. yellowsleep[1].gif In these old cars you in the edge of disaster at any moment and pushing the hammer daring it to happen! aktion035.gif driving.gif Makes my blood pump up hard! screwy.gif assimilate.gif
jtf914
VA to CT about 400 miles. It's theraputic smile.gif can't wait to do it again
iamchappy
Im with Rick on this one, two trips to LA from MPLS., one to Jackson Wy, one to Eugene Ore, and one to Hood River, Ore. fully loaded with windsurfers and gear, on my way back on this trip my engine decided to dump a valve on me.
Root_Werks
Never done anything much longer than 350-400 miles in one day or sitting. But my current 914 I wouldn't hesitate driving 1000+ miles in one lump. It's become a well sorted car. driving.gif
keske968
Drove mine from Long Island to Omaha, Ne. wasn't a bad trip but I still perfer my 1994 968 coupe for the long hauls. More confortable and cruise control is always a nice thing to have.
iamchappy
As far as comfort on the long haul, I drove from Tampa to MPLS in my 88 Town Car i dont think my butt every found the bottom of the seat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(96740 @ Mar 17 2008, 07:44 PM) *

~2000 miles roundtrip to the RRC in moab last year. the car was packed with luggage, spare parts and my GF and me.
no major problems, only some minor trouble with the fuelpump, which turned out to be a kinked fuelline ...

it was surprisingly comfortable!
driving.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I drove the Bumblebee Racer home to Sacramento from Portland at WCR 2006. I would have to guess at 600+ miles??? I have driven the Silver car about 200 miles in one day. Make it 200 + because it was about 100 miles to the autocross, then I autocrossed then drove it home...

It seems to me I have had more reliability problems right around home. Been towed home twice with my USAA Roadside Assistance. Once for a little fire when *someone named asshat* (not me) set my timing so advanced I burned up my starter wiring. Once when my coil rotated and shorted on the tin.

In its current state with the 2270 I would not hesitate to drive my silver 914 anywhere. Just that reliable...
effutuo101
San Jose to San Diego, S.D. to Denver, numerous drives 200+ there, Denver to Seattle via Moab, Seattle to Portland, drive and drive back same day. The last time I checked, the silver car was still making 200+ mile round trips around the sound. I will ask. Current car is still being sorted out. The most I have done so far is 80 miles in one day. (still breaking in motor).. I wouldn't hesitate to take a well sorted out 914 cross country. I never got lonely as about every 10th person I passed waived and gave me thumbs up. popcorn[1].gif
dw914er
recently, i put on over 400 miles

yucaipa, to san clemente, then on the way back, stuck in trafficm diverted to la, more traffic then came back

next day, yucaipa to riverside, to la, and then back

but the car has gone from des moines to so cal, and i think its gone across country a few other times, but i would have to ask my mom to be positive about that

and in traffic, and such, other cars tend to be better, and much more trouble free

(though as a weekend car, the 914 is perfect (drive it enough to enjoy it, without every problem becoming overwhelming))
dug
I drove my first 914 from SF, CA to Houston, TX and back 2000 miles, summer after highschool graduation. I was with my 18 year old girlfriend, now 18 years later still wife:)

We did the Southbound direction in 3 days and took I5 to I40. Coming back we took 10 and then drove up Hwy 1. We loved it.

After that, I did 1300 miles in a weekend to go from LA to San Luis Obispo to pick up my friend and then to Phoenix for the last USA F1 race before the return to Indy. I averaged 85mph and 30+ mpg that round-trip.

I went back and forth LA to SF, 400 miles each way, at least a dozen times in 3 years. Usually 101, sometimes I5.

That car was a 2.0 I rebuilt myself with 8:1 euro mahle's and stock d-jet. I used new injectors, CHT, and all new vacuum hoses. The car was dead-reliable, except for a loose trans ground strap that gave me a starting issue. I was in high-school and the internet wasn't there for me. I had haynes and the rebuild your aircooled vw book. "Back when I was a kid, we had to walk 10 miles to school uphill... both directions!"

If it's running good, I'll drive a 914 anywhere still. The car I just bought has 333,000 documented miles. I want get it to 500,000 before we all run out of gas:) I smell a road trip!

cheers,
dug
scotty
Over 2000 miles for one trip (Porltand, OR to San Diego, CA & back) with my wife shortly after we were married.

...all on 101 and 1 down (got stopped by a landslide just after crossing the boarder) and I5 (with side trips) back up.

Amazing how much stuff fits in the trunks.
championgt1
These cars actually drive? biggrin.gif
Chris Hamilton
Drove from Berkeley down to San Diego for the parade, then back. No trouble of course. The car with no carpets or sound deadening did get a bit old after a while though.
KELTY360
First 914 went all over; Fullerton CA to Breckinridge CO and back, Fullerton to Roswell NM and back, Fullerton to Yosemite Valley and back, Fullerton to Seattle and back, etc. Then again, it was a new car and expected to go the distance.

Next one, a bumblebee, did a round trip from Seattle to Fullerton, including an adventure in the Siskiyous where I couldn't buy chains because my Pirelli P6s were too close to the wheel arch. CHP turned me around at the CA/OR border so I had to detour thru Redding to Grants Pass OR by way of Eureka CA through roadblocks, drifting snow in the passes and mudslides on the way back down to the coast. Hairiest day ever.

My current '74 2.0 was bought in Buena Park CA and driven up the coast to Seattle. Two years later it's a daily driver and I'd drive it anywhere.

Better go down to the garage now and polish up the jackstands.

driving.gif
Porcharu
Screw comfort vote for Ms. K!!!!
I will drive my suby powered mis fit a ton of miles I love Scporpians!
RockinOldSchool
Used to drive up to see my girlfriend at school every weekend. 250 mile round trip plus about another 130 or so miles per week (daily driver). Did that for six months straight before she moved back locally. Only maintenance needed, valve adjustment and oil changes. biggrin.gif I wouldn't hesitate to drive it from Seattle to Orlando and back. aktion035.gif

God I wub.gif this car!!
bcheney
1985 while in college at University of Florida I made the trip from Gainesville, FL to Montreal, CA. and back. What a blast. Top down most of the way. Picked up one of by best friends in DC along the way. The car drove fantastic. Got to Montreal and had to replace oil cooler seals...a little pain... but, all was well for the return trip! The car is a 75 2.0 that is now in process of getting a six. I am the second owner and purchased the car in 1983.
anderssj
af academy at colorado springs to st paul mn (1 day) 1973
st paul mn to tyndall afb at panama city fl and back (2 days each way) 1973
st paul to luke afb at glendale az (3 days each way) 1973
glendale to st paul and back (3 days each way) 1974
glendale to seattle (4 days) 1976
seattle to langley afb at hampton va via st paul (7 days) 1979
charlotte nc to redmond wa via bakersfield (5 days) 1982
redmond to hampton va via st paul (7 days) 1986
hampton to pete field at colorado springs (3 days) 1991
colorado springs to yorktown VA (3 days) 1993

biggest problem has been no re-start when warmed up . . .

hoping to drive it to the 914 reunion at charlotte in june

plymouth37
1660 miles when I moved from Minneapolis, MN to Las Vegas, NV in a bone stock unrestored field fresh 914, with all of my worldly possesions packed in around me. My starter overheated halfway through Utah so I couldn't turn the car off, other than that I made it with no trouble. It was a great adventure!
rascobo

Approx. 3500 miles.
First road trip (1990) Portland to L.A., Las Vegas, Yuma, Mexicali, Tijuana, Portland. All back roads where possible with many side trips (and challenges).
Pat Garvey
Longest trip?

1974, right after winning the Parade concours. Went from Cincinnati to Pocono Parade & there to New Orleans to visit an old Army bud who'd just gotten a Zambezi 914 & was living in Metarie. Wow, what an adventure. Actually ran through a swarm of love bugs on the way (the ones that caused Jane Mansfield's death). The bugs did so much damage to the paint (they're very acidic) that I had to repaint the car.

No matter! The best & only 4 weeks I've taken off from work. The Mom & Pop places one the bayous are unbelievable! Because of that trip, and extended learning, I consider myself the best Creole chef on the upper east coast.

Total trip was about 4800 miles. I'd do it again in a nonosecond.

Yeah, we had backaches for a week, but there isn't anything like cruisin" the quarter in a Porsche (proabably can't do that anymore).

Yeah, we've done other similar trips in the 914, but this one stands out as the best.

Cool story Pat. beerchug.gif
bbrown
Effingham, IL (Funfest) 6.5 hours one way and back sameday.
Cayman Schayman. Anyone can drive an air conditioned sofa across country. yellowsleep[1].gif In these old cars you in the edge of disaster at any moment and pushing the hammer daring it to happen! aktion035.gif driving.gif Makes my blood pump up hard! screwy.gif assimilate.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Lot's of short trips(runs biggrin.gif ) and one 70 mile freeway drive(lost idle screw). Lost coupler bushings in the one AX I have ran. mad.gif

Tomorrow I am going to stretch out her legs with about a 300 mile day trip. Wish me Luck??

jkp
MoveQik
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 8 2008, 07:59 PM) *

The bugs did so much damage to the paint (they're very acidic) that I had to repaint the car.

I just assumed your car had original paint with all the concours and such. Sorry to hear about the bugs!
rascobo
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 20 2008, 10:59 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Lot's of short trips(runs biggrin.gif ) and one 70 mile freeway drive(lost idle screw). Lost coupler bushings in the one AX I have ran. mad.gif

Tomorrow I am going to stretch out her legs with about a 300 mile day trip. Wish me Luck??

jkp

agree.gif
With an attitude like yours, you don't need luck. F finger.gif 'it have a great trip!
*kennyd*914
Back in May, we made the traditional Toronto -> Ottawa -> Toronto run (1060km) , it's odd, this seems to be to only car my family sees us in anymore. I guess the drive is driving-girl.gif the incentive for a visit?
rhodyguy
350miles+ yesterday. from near sea level to 5340ft and back down. just a 'short' cruise.

k
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

400 to 600 miles at the drop of a hat. Also cross country any time ,the limiting

factor is ( She who knows all) says a " Fat 70 yr. old man is nuts to do that".

But the best two things I have done for my comfort on long trips is ( refuse to

take her along) and install Cruse Control. That is my concession to age and a

deviation from stock. It really adds to the overall comfort. Dave slap.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.