Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the farthest you have driven your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
3d914
3500 miles round trip Phoenix to Kewanee, IL. My son and I tuned the new Megasquirt FI system all the way. We kept burning up resistors on the injector triggering circuit from the coil. It was an adventure.

After building the SHO-914 I hope to make that drive again.

Enjoy!
ArtechnikA
bought the first in Ft Lauderdale, drove it back to San Diego via St Louis.
Took another from San Diego to the Portland (OR) parade & back a week later.
scotty914
lets see i think i might win this

2005 wwc total mileage was about 6 k in 3 weeks, drove to texas, new mexico, vegas, la for 4 days, back to texas for a week, new orleans for 4 days made a pit stop to change trannys in miss, a trip to georgia to meet miles, then home 3 weeks to the day.

and thanks to Joe O, Joe S, Rick, Joe R for various things to include a bed, food and a tranny
anderssj
A picture from New Year's Eve 1982, well into the 4th day on our 5-day trip from Charlotte NC to Redmond WA. Can't remember the total number of miles but it felt like a lot that day . . . .
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(scotty914 @ Jun 21 2008, 10:46 PM) *

it is an exhibition, not a competition ... no wagering please ...
r_towle

2005 wwc total mileage was about 6 k in 3 weeks, drove to texas, new mexico, vegas, la for 4 days, back to texas for a week, new orleans for 4 days made a pit stop to change trannys in miss, a trip to georgia to meet miles, then home 3 weeks to the day.

and thanks to Joe O, Joe S, Rick, Joe R for various things to include a bed, food and a tranny

Nope, I think swapping trannies would be a disqualifying event.

Rich
scotty914
sorry rich the OP says nothing about repairs, it just says how long of a trip

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 22 2008, 06:17 PM) *

Nope, I think swapping trannies would be a disqualifying event.

Rich

Toast
I drove over 1000 in my 914 just this weekend. driving-girl.gif

The farthest I have driven in the shortest time was from Riverside, Ca., to Scottsdale, Az., to Winslow, Az. for the Rt.66 2008.

The farthest i've driven in one day non-stop was from Winslow, Az. to Riverside, Ca................489 miles!
aktion035.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 23 2008, 10:36 PM) *

The farthest I have driven in the shortest time was from Riverside, Ca., to Scottsdale, Az., to Winslow, Az. for the Rt.66 2008.

And it was great to have you here wub.gif
buck toenges
Drove from Huston Tx to cincinnati one day back in 1979 when I was in collage. Came back to school from working co-op that summer. Brought back 19 cases of Coors beer since we couldn't get it east of the Mississippi back then. I was afraid if I had gotten in a bad accident I would have foamed to death! It is amazing what I could pack into a '70 1.7. Clothes, pots and pans, furniture, and a lot of cans of beer.
Thought I would icon_bump.gif this just to see if there are any more stories.
hot_shoe914
Drove mine 1700 miles round trip in the winter time to attend the Buttercup Build. Maybe next year to the WCR and back, who knows. confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
When I bought my Euro /6, I flew into Ft Lauderdale (Might have been MIA, but the car was in Ft Lauderdale...) did the deal, drove up to Iowa to visit relatives, headed home to San Diego. Streets & Trips tells me that's 3415 mi.
EdwardBlume
When I was 10 or 11, my Dad drove me from Santa Maria to Sacramento to SF then back to Santa Maria....

avidfanjpl
I am on my 6th 1973 914 2.0L

Pickup trips have been kinda long for most of them.

76 - 500 miles - Extreme Northern Vermont to Jersey

82 - 1000 miles - North Jersey to St. Louis

84 - 600 miles - Iowa to St. Louis

86 - 500 miles - OK City to St. Louis

2008 - 1350 miles - OK City to SoCal

2009 - 1550 miles - Portland to SoCal

Oddly enough, I never drive them that far after. Well, I did want to go to RRC 2010, but the car was not ready.

John
Bartlett 914
This year alone, I have driven round trips from Chicago to Syracuse NY, Richmond VA, Monroe LA and Cincinnati. I hope to make a trip to Atlanta sometime this year. I have had some troubles mostly in Richmond. A World member came to the rescue. Thanks Scotty for helping out. It has been a blast.
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 11 2010, 03:52 AM) *

When I bought my Euro /6, I flew into Ft Lauderdale (Might have been MIA, but the car was in Ft Lauderdale...) did the deal, drove up to Iowa to visit relatives, headed home to San Diego. Streets & Trips tells me that's 3415 mi.

Wow. That is cool.
pcar916
3.940 mi, San Francisco CA to Little Rock, AR. Then drove back the next week for another 1,970 mi. Technically that was another trip I reckon, but it didn't feel like it. That was the first time I realized that semi's could go faster than 100 mi/hr.

It was December and very cold in a car with no heat, I was dressed in many pairs of socks and my fire suit and helmet to keep warm. Clearly, being stopped for speeding would have not gone well... perhaps laughter first then jail time. Didn't see any of those fine officers thank goodness. I know what you're thinkin', why not a regular coat? Try one in a racing seat... won't work. Anyway...

plowing through the Arizona desert at triple-digits and far past midnight, headlights were catching up to me in the rear-view mirror. The closer they got the wider they looked (and taller). UFO maybe? I sped up and they still caught me.

It was a column of 5 or 6 semi's and they followed me for many miles because I sped up again to match their pace. I lost 'em when I finally had to stop for gas but they gave me a long procession of horn blasts as they high-balled it east.

I used hotels on the return trip.
underthetire
Just from Discovery Bay to Tahoe, alas not for the WCR.
mepstein
longest trip in the last 21 years was backing it off the uhaul trailer when I got to Scotty B's. ~10 feet.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2010, 07:21 PM) *

longest trip in the last 21 years was backing it off the uhaul trailer when I got to Scotty B's. ~10 feet.

Yeah, but that is the best trip it will ever make! smilie_pokal.gif
zeezee
I've had mine four-ish years now.
It's a fair weather daily driver (5 miles/day).

Max drive might be 20 miles.

I have range anxiety ... still working on getting a spare and a tool kit together unsure.gif
okieflyr
Last fall was Philadelphia to the tail of the dragon and back.

I'm inspired to do a x-country next spring after following Girt's adventure on the Pelican board in his 911. The Targa Rally looks like fun.
BRAVE_HELIOS
Many, many moons ago... I drove my first 914 from FL to CT to go back to school; then a few years later (with a "new" 1910cc engine) drove it back down to O town. No issues, either trip! biggrin.gif
Krank
Just a tad over 1100 miles...alot in the rain....alot in the dark....alot lost...on the way home from the POs house. Only lost a starter on the way.
JRust
I drove my 914 out of the carport about 30 ft. Was kid powered(my 3 kids pushing) while I drove. Most exciting minute of my life dry.gif
Randal

Mine just keeps going in circles... laugh.gif
mgphoto
Never kept track of the mileage but in 1986 went from Staten Island NY to Miami FL with my dog Max, driving rain and lots of 18 wheelers, stopped to get a little sleep in Georgia.
Next in 1989, even longer, from Miami FL to Los Angeles CA, sent Max by plane this time and had a buddy of mine help with the driving, 3 days total but a stop in Texas to replace a front wheel bearing. Sunday afternoon, the shop owner opened the store just for me to get the bearing and a I bought a hammer to help with the install. Might be tough to find a wheel bearing in stock anywhere nowadays.
Still driving "Baby Doll" every day, pushing 335,000 miles!

They love to be driven!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 8 2011, 03:00 PM) *

Never kept track of the mileage but in 1986 went from Staten Island NY to Miami FL with my dog Max, driving rain and lots of 18 wheelers, stopped to get a little sleep in Georgia.
Next in 1989, even longer, from Miami FL to Los Angeles CA, sent Max by plane this time and had a buddy of mine help with the driving, 3 days total but a stop in Texas to replace a front wheel bearing. Sunday afternoon, the shop owner opened the store just for me to get the bearing and a I bought a hammer to help with the install. Might be tough to find a wheel bearing in stock anywhere nowadays.

They love to be driven!

Lets see, what year was the parade in Lake of the Ozarks ?
Drove my first "good" 1970 914 1.7 (1911) with my future brother in law with his 1969 911T.
2000mi. round trip from northern NJ never missed a beat.
I wonder where it is today ?
914itis
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 8 2011, 03:00 PM) *

They love to be driven!

Lets see, what year was the parade in Lake of the Ozarks ?
Drove my first "good" 1970 914 1.7 (1911) with my future brother in law with his 1969 911T.
2000mi. round trip from northern NJ never missed a beat.
I wonder where it is today ?

I drove mine for about 65 miles each way, trip 3 times, plus some local driving, I'd say about 400 miles total.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Apr 7 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Last fall ... to the tail of the dragon and back.

Going to MUSR 2010 was my longest trip in a 914.
2000 miles in a long weekend.
driving.gif
abnrdo
The length of my driveway.

The battery was dead when I bought the car. It needs way too much work on the engine to even try to start it. I dont trust the fuel lines.

Project in progress!

-Jim
RiqueMar
RRC 2010 1,700 miles, my first time driving a 914. 766 miles from San Diego to Moab, then Moab to San Diego through the Grand Canyon, 855 miles of nothing blink.gif.... well, except for the speeding ticket.... busted_cop.gif
SLITS
2K several times ... had an MPS take a shit in Moab with the /4.

Same for the /6, except the ill fated run to Wickenburg (nobody likes Wickenburg).
Mike Fitton
Click to view attachment

Manhatten Beach, CA to Chicago, IL in the month of January. North route via Salt Lake City, UT and Lincoln, NE. Left CA on Wednesday afternoon and was pulling in my driveway Friday afternoon. Did get a speeding ticket in Wyoming, it took the Trooper 20 min. to catch me.
VRROOMM1
seal beach ca. to sacramento ca. and back one way on a tank of gas at 75-90mph and one tank back
dlestep
...drove my '73 914 from Renton, Washington to Brandon, Florida...and traveled back and forth to Indiana from Florida over the next year. 1073 miles each way, best time was 12 hours and 15 mins...
jzdu
Drove mine a total of 15 miles since 11/2007. Hopefully that will all change this week. It's almost done!!
RichardFDR
In my 1973 914 2.0 (black) I've done three big trips since 2004 from London and am feeling rather nostalgic about it since the car is now scrap.

Big trip number 1:
Stop 1 Karlsruhe Germany
Stop 2 Salzburg (camp site)
Stop 3 Melk
Stop 4 Outside Prague (camp site)
Stop 5 Prague
Stop 6 Berlin (repairs needed!)
Stop 7 Munsterland (camp site)
Stop 8 Amsterdam
Stop 9 Brussels
Then home

Big trip number 2:
Stop 1 Karlsruhe, Germany (bonnet cable snapped)
Stop 2 Füssen, Germany (camp site)
Stop 3 Soglio, Switzerland
Stop 4 Lake Iseo, Italy (camp site)
Stop 5 Verona, Italy (trapped bonnet cable in front trunk again!)
Stop 6 Arezzo, Italy
Stop 7 Sienna, Italy
Stop 8 Island of Elba, Italy
Stop 9 Viareggio, Italy (camp site)
Stop 10 Lake Maggiore, Italy
Stop 11 Vals, Switzerland
Stop 12 Lake Constance, Germany (camp site)
Stop 13 Rhine Valley (?) Germany
Then home

Big trip number 3:
Stop 1 Essen Germany
Stop 2 Nr Essen Germany (camp site)
Stop 3 Ribeauville, France
Stop 4 Le Pèlerin, France
Stop 5 Meursault, France (camp site)
Then home
toolguy
1978 6000 miles coast to coast in 2 weeks. .74 2 liter 914 . San Diego to the Aspen parade then to Virgina Beach. . . . . . a week later Va back home to San Diego. . . the return trip was nonstop took 42 hours driving by myself . . . that's when I was young and not too smart at times. .
rnellums
2500 miles earlier this summer from Denver to Indiana via Wyoming and sd. Of course it did have a catastrophic engine failure at 2000 miles and I had to pull the engine in Mitchell, but after that she made it the rest Of the way!
70_914
I drove my car around the block once I got it towed home from the junkyard. Took out the engine and transmission, sold most the parts, scrapped the car. Now that engine is getting built to install into my "new" 914.
JawjaPorsche
Two years after I got my 73 Teener, I drove from Atlanta, Georgia to LA to SF and back in 1975. The Teener vapor locked in Arizona with the temp over 100. The state patrol came by and said when it finally starts, turn your heater on! Thank goodness I had my top down! I also drove it from Atlanta to Palm Springs and back in 1980. I still have it.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 13 2011, 09:25 AM) *

Two years after I got my 73 Teener, I drove from Atlanta, Georgia to LA to SF and back in 1975. The Teener vapor locked in Arizona with the temp over 100. The state patrol came by and said when it finally starts, turn your heater on! Thank goodness I had my top down! I also drove it from Atlanta to Palm Springs and back in 1980. I still have it.

Drove my first good 914 to the Porsche Parade in Lake of the Ozarks. Don't ask me what year that was. Probably 1000 smile.gif miles each way from New Jersey
The car was a 1970 1.7 opened up to "2.0" Light Ivory with brown 2 seat interior
Sold the car for home down payment. I wonder where it is today ?
One year later got my first real 6. Still have it.
SCV
The farthest trip I've made to date was ~320 miles round trip, and have made many ~200 mile round trips, but I'm not comfortable taking it out of state until I rebuild or replace the engine. Compression is still good at ~120 per cylinder (1-2 psi variation), valve lash is stable between 3,000 mile adjustments, and it's not making any ugly noises, but at this point, I'd take my Super with ~12,000 on it's rebuilt long block from a well-known, trustworthy source for a round trip of 1000+ miles. The transmission in the 914 could use a rebuild too, FWIW.

Once the 914's engine and transmission are a known quantity, I'd take it over a Cayman any day for a road trip. I'm not a fan of new, plastic cars, even though they have more creature comforts.
r_towle
between breakdowns or not?
poorsche914
1700+ miles on my recent trip to Eureka Springs for MUSR12.

driving.gif
wndsrfr
Saw ad for car in World classifieds. Called Drew Rickert & made the deal. 5am flight from Newport News to Indianapolis. Drew picked me up at airport at noon. Liked car. Gave him money, got title. 777 miles -- got home at 1am. Epic. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

P.S. Drove to VIR 2 weeks later for Zone 2 PCA DE. Blew it up on 3rd day on back straight. Flames in rear view mirror. Also Epic. headbang.gif
smj
Well since I missed this thread on it's several previous revivals... All told, ~875 miles on a one-way trip over two days.

Bought my '74 914-4 in September 2005 from a gent in Mill Creek, Washington. Flew in on a Saturday and he picked me up, looked over the car, completed the deal and I started driving back to Berkeley on I-5 late in the day. Made it to Roseburg, OR (~375 miles) before I grabbed a room for the night.

Next day I pulled into a rest stop in Weed, California (I know, right?) where the car refused to restart. I now believe this was an intermittent problem with the ignition switch, because after waiting several hours for AAA it just started on it's own with no fuss. I did make it back that day, ~500 miles total.
JMKnight
QUOTE(96740 @ Mar 17 2008, 07:44 PM) *

How far have you driven your 914 on a trip?

Would you rather have your 914 on a long journey, or a new Cayman let's say.

Does the fact that you know your old car better than a new "Out of the box" Porsche make the choice any better? Sometimes I would rather have an old, easy to work on car on a very long drive than a computer riddled techno plactic Porsche for the real down and dirty. Allthough our 07 Cayman has been one of the best cars I have ever owned, 80k and going. I thought I would post the question anyway.

driving.gif

Please trade me a boxter type s for my 914-6!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.