Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crazy idea for the Type IV engine shroud..., ..but I think it would look crazy good!
purple
post Mar 19 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #21

Pigeon feeders attract me

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 19 2008, 02:11 PM) *

yeah, but do you really need it?

Funny you should ask....Now that I've followed your advice, bought tons of parts from your store, and had lots of patience and perserverance...no.

The engine's temp tops out at 350 when I'm pushing it hard (CHT at the spark plug) I was the guy with a weber progressive, hydro bus engine, dual motorcycle exhaust and 009 distributor with only 1 piece of lower engine tin installed from the p.o. remember me?

I've gotten from your store:
Mallory unilite(friggen amazing)
mallory promaster ecoil & ballast resistor(friggen amazing)
weber 40IDF's (friggen amazing AND perfectly jetted)
other stuff:
eurorace header.

That engine runs friggen excellent now! what makes the biggest difference? Valve adjustment. un-real how much better it runs now. the p.o. had loose rockers all over that car, my poor baby.

Thanks for your help jake, i just wanted some more friggen awesome parts from you because it would make my engine more...friggen awesome..er
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 19 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #22

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Nope, you don't need a DTM...

Glad our things are working for you, effectiveness is what we shoot for!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 19 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #23

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 19 2008, 01:52 PM) *

Pete, twin plugging is standard on all my engines larger than 102mm bore size and has been for a couple of years.

This is my Wife's recently completed German Look 79 Vert. It sports a 2.8L twin plug TIV and is pictured here two weekends ago laying down 195 RWHP and 206 lb/ft of torque with max HP@ 5,400 RPM and max torque at 3,500 at the Southeast Dyno Day
(IMG:http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/wrenchnride247/100_3403.jpg)

(IMG:http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/wrenchnride247/100_3434.jpg)

here is the IDA Weber equipped twin plug beast. It idles at 800 RPM smooth as silk and has the throttle response of a crotch rocket. It runs 10.5:1 CR on 89 octane pump gas and this weekend it got 33.3 MPG on it's first long distance cruise.
(IMG:http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/wrenchnride247/100_3435.jpg)

here is the youtube video of the dyno pull.. At the end you'll hear someone say "no way, that has to be a mistake".. The engine sounds so stock no one would ever believe it makes 250 FWHP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPJI6nhwy10

Here is the dyno graph from my dyno that was done prior to the event, the difference was the muffler that we had to run for dyno day pulled 20 HP from the engine, but Chris and I are working on the redesign now. Lok at the power and look at the revs, thats the amazing part. What N/A 911 engine can do that!!

We can do twin plugs with carbs and this modified Nissan dizzy, or with EFI and twin plug direct ignition.

This is one of the things I wanted to talk to you about!

I thought you hated IDA carbs.....
What have you modified???

Rich
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 19 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #24

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 19 2008, 06:27 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 18 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Noooooooo,
It didn't come out right, I meant that the red fan shroud should be natural f/g. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

And it should also have internal diverters to direct the air where it needs to be so there isn't a 150F temperature differential across the 4 cylinders, but it doesn't.

What most people don't understand is that air flow is stupid. If you aim an airflow at a wall, you won't get a nice smooth airflow around the wall, you will get a high pressure point at the wall with a falloff of airflow on the fringes. These internal diverters are absolutely necessary to "shape" the airflow and direct it to where you want it to flow.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 19 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #25

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(purple @ Mar 19 2008, 12:29 PM) *

The engine's temp tops out at 350 when I'm pushing it hard (CHT at the spark plug) I was the guy with a weber progressive, hydro bus engine, dual motorcycle exhaust and 009 distributor with only 1 piece of lower engine tin installed from the p.o. remember me?

I've gotten from your store:
Mallory unilite(friggen amazing)
mallory promaster ecoil & ballast resistor(friggen amazing)
weber 40IDF's (friggen amazing AND perfectly jetted)
other stuff:
eurorace header.

I remember you, glad to see all is coming together. Sorry about making fun of

your exhaust, but damn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Whats next for your car?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 19 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

This engine has intake ports that flow 225 CFM, these are the only port that has outflowed the capability of a Weber IDF to date, hence the use of an IDA.These ports have the volume to overcome the characteristics that make an IDA equipped TIV hard to tune.

This car was built (including the engine) in 3 weeks time by Blake and myself for a single day of competition at the SE Dyno Day. Due to that we did not have time to install and tune the EFI system that would generally be used with this arrangement.

IDAs in 95% of instances do not work well with the characteristics of the TIV heads, this is the odd 5% situation where they do work very effectively.

That said IDAs were my last and only resort to beat the Cali guys given the time I had to get the job done.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 19 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #27

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

IDA's are the best thing for a hard dyno pull, there is not transition circuit to worry about, just WOT that the IDA loves.....

So, are you telling us that your wifes motor gets awesome MPG also????
Cause if you can put numbers like that down, and get good MPG...now you are talking....
Rich
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 19 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

Yes. The engine hardly has to work and the high CR is made totally safe with the twin plugs. CR= efficiency when met with an optimum cam and head arrangement.

This is a daily driveable engine and even with the IDAs it has great manners. With FI it would drive like a stock V8.

Over the weekend I got 33.3 MPG from the engine in the Bug. of course it is near impossible to drive the car hard without ending up in Jail, or blowing the tranny to bits. with the IDAs and their transition coupled to the gearing I was unable to run less than 75 MPH and most of the time I had to run just over 80 for the carbs to be happy..

With development i am sure this super efficient combo could easily attain 40 MPG and make even more power, because the engine doesn't even realize it is pushing the car.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post May 16 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #29

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

Well this topic got waaaay off target....

How about it. How does the DIY make his own amber-colored fan shroud pieces for the 914? Would I need to make a mold, or could I use the should as the mold? How do I get the amber color?

I've done some glass work but only on top of wood and clear was the desired result.

For reference:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:09 PM