Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Rocket City Ramble, October 16-19, N. Alabama, thank you to all who attended! :)
RocketCityRamble
post Mar 21 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #1

RocketCityRamble

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,815
Region Association: South East States

Thanks to all who attended!

-Rusty

The Rocket City Ramble and 10th Annual Mid U.S. Ramble will be held in Huntsville, Alabama from October 16-19, 2008. Considered to be the Silicon Valley of the South, Huntsville is largest city in Northern Alabama and is just south of hilly Southern Tennessee. The area promises great driving for 914 enthusiasts!

Event: We assembled an exciting schedule of events for the entire weekend, including: Car Show, Swap Meet, Poker Run, Tech Quiz, Scenic Tour, Technical Seminars, and an Autocross! This is a very scenic area of the country and we’ll include several drives in and around Alabama and Tennessee. For a detailed schedule of events, CLICK HERE!

Hosts: The RCR is graciously hosted by the Heart of Dixie PCA Region with the support of the PCA 914 Special Interest Group. Also, our attendees have been invited by the Twickingham Auto Club (SCCA) to join their autocross! Thank you to both clubs for your support.

(Please note, you do not need to be a PCA member to attend this event. There is no membership sales pitch! Also, SCCA autocross fee will include a 3-day SCCA membership, if you are not already an SCCA member!)

Autocross: We will be joining the local SCCA chapter on Sunday, October 19th for the Autocross at the Milton Frank Stadium. This is an excellent spot for autocross with virgin (unsealed) blacktop. For all autocross participants, there will be an Autocross Tech Class on Friday afternoon. Autocross fees will be $30 ($35 for non-SCCA members). We will collect cash or checks payable to the local SCCA chapter during registration.)

Bring your helmet, if you have one!

Lodging: The event will be headquartered and primary lodging for this event will be at the Marriott Space and Rocket Center. They have reserved the following for us: a dedicated parking area, a swap-meet location and a hospitality room. We've arranged a RCR discount rate for the rooms of approximately $98 with breakfast for two ($85 without breakfast). We recommend the breakfast! Please contact them direct and mention "Rocket City Ramble" when securing room reservations, phone (256-830-2222).

The deadline to reserve rooms at this price is September 1st! After that, we lose the room block. To cut costs, we may have some space for folks to crash with sleeping bags in the hospitality room... but space will be limited. Send us a note if you want do to that. Also, we can help find alternative lodging if you would prefer a location other than the Marriott. Please drop us a note and we'll be happy to help.

Registration: To make registration as easy as possible, CLICK HERE for our motorsportsreg.com site. You can send us your registration info & t-shirt size, pay via credit card or echeck. Or, you can register online and mail a check/money order/gold bullion to cover the registration fee ($73/person). Also, if you have a co-driver/friend/spouse attending with you, that person will receive a 20 dollar discount on their registration. Your registration fee covers:

•Entry into all the events and activities

•Welcome packet and goodie bag

•Thursday night dinner at Tech Session

•Saturday Night Awards Banquet Meal

•Nice RCR T-shirt

•Trophy costs for all competitive events

-Rusty, Brett, Scott (RCR planning team)

Thursday, October 16th (early day)
  • Check-in Noon - 7pm Marriott lobby
  • Tech Session 4pm-7:30pm (meal paid) Topic: R&R Engine; at SM Racing
  • Social Hour 8pm - ?? Marriott hospitality room

Friday, October 17th Check-in 8am-11am Marriott lobby
  • Car Show (Show & Shine) 10am-11am Marriott grounds
  • Scenic Tour 11am-4pm (lunch own cost) Tour to Guntersville
  • Lunch at Limestone Bay
  • Tech Session 4pm-6pm Topic: Autocross 101
  • Dinner 6pm-9pm

Saturday, October 18th
  • Swap Meet 7:30am-9:30am
  • Poker Run 11am-4:00pm
  • (lunch own cost) Tour to Jack Daniels Distillery & Return
  • Free Time at Marriott 4:00pm-5:30pm Relax, prep for dinner, clean cars for Sunday AX
  • Move to Banquet 5:30pm-6pm
  • Tech Quiz/Happy Hour 6pm-7pm Redstone Officer's Club
  • Dinner, Awards, and great Door Prizes 7pm-9pm (meal paid) Redstone Officer's Club

Sunday, October 19th
  • Travel to Autox Site 7am-7:30am Gather in Marriott parking lot @ 7am
  • Walthru/briefs/paperwork 7:30am-8am Milton Frank Stadium
  • Autocross with SCCA 8am-5pm (lunch meal paid) Milton Frank Stadium
  • Casual dinner 6pm (own cost) TBD

News: We'll post the most current news about the RCR as it comes available!

It's August 16th, two short months away from the Rocket City Ramble / 10th annual Mid US Ramble! I rummaged through my closet and discovered by 1st annual MUSR shirt. I'll probably wear that Thursday night!

A few quick notes:

1. If you know a 914 owner or enthusiast that's not normally online, please pass on information about the RCR! It doesn't matter if their car is up on jack-stands. Send us a note if you have someone who wants to do an offline registration!

2. Someone asked what the weather in Alabama is like in October. Mid-October is not particularly rainy for Alabama. On average for the last 4 years, the daily high has been 78 degrees. On average, the nighttime low was 51. Recommend you pack a light jacket... unless you're from Texas. You guys can buy snow-suits online. (They even have children's sizes, Clay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

3. Car repairs. Most of us carry a small toolbag and some tools. We have Brett's shop near the hotel if we need a place to do significant repairs to a car. The two tours will have a recovery vehicle for support. Also, at the autocross, we'll arrange to have an air compressor and a floor-jack for the 914 crew.

4. Speaking of the autocross, that will be an event for most of Sunday. People who aren't driving will be helping pick up cones and learning how the course operates. We've had one of our fellow Ramblers volunteer to serve as an instructor. (Thanks, Betty!) Oh, if you have a helmet - please bring it. There are a limited number of loaners available. We'll have coffee and donuts in the morning and lunch will be delivered on-site for the RCR crew!

5. I got a strange question from someone about Alabama handgun laws. I am not a lawyer, but I referred to this website. (http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/pistol.htm) Alabama shares a reciprocal concealed carry permit agreement with other states including: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia. Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. There are some restrictions. Please check your local laws and the laws of the states you'll be travelling through.

6. We're all grown, but please do not forget - you must carry registration, proof of insurance and a valid driver's license in the State of Alabama. It's Alabama law. (Yep, I know that some registrations are a sticker in the windshield.)

7. We have a great crew of Supporters who have volunteered to donate door prizes for the Ramble. If you know a company that might like to help out by donating a door prize, ask them to contact us! Our current list of Supporters can be found at http://www.rocketcityramble.com/supporters.htm

It's July 1st, just 107 short days before the Rocket City Ramble / Mid US Ramble! Can you believe that this year is the 10th annual Mid US Ramble? It seems almost like yesterday... driving to Hot Springs, Arkansas for the first MUSR! I need to see if I can find my MUSR1 t-shirt!

A few quick notes about this year's event:

1. There are plenty of rooms available at the Space & Rocket Center Marriott. We are setting up two packages for the room, with and without breakfast. When you call about the room, breakfast for two in the restaurant is 10 dollars more - well worth the expense. Their phone number is 256-830-2222.

2. Dinner on Thursday night is included with the registration fee. We will make a short tour to SM Racing, where we will have our first tech session and grill burgers!

3. If you are bringing your significant other and kids, we're including local maps with malls and stuff annotated. Also, next door to the hotel is the NASA Space & Rocket Center. It's a great way for kids to spend an afternoon!

4. I heard that the PCA requires that gentlemen wear a tie to the Parade final banquet. We won't require a tie, but drivers will need to have registration, proof of insurance and a valid driver's license, because our Saturday evening banquet will be at the Officer's Club on Redstone Arsenal, Alabama. Drop me a note if you have a concern about this.

Please write and ask if you have any questions or concerns. Most of what will appear in these emails will be questions we receive!

The 10th Annual Mid U.S. Ramble will be held in conjunction with the Rocket City Ramble in Huntsville, Alabama from 16-19 October, 2008. This 914-focused event is graciously hosted by our local PCA region. Any and all proceeds from the event will be gifted directly to Toys for Tots and the local Humane Society.

The action-packed weekend will include: tech sessions, two tours, one poker run, tech quiz, swap meet, car show and awards banquet. Also, we've been invited to participate with the local SCCA folks in their Autocross!!!

The city of Huntsville is in Northern Alabama, about two hours South of Nashville. It's very central to the southern U.S. and not too far from our traditional MUSR stomping grounds in Arkansas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 21 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Betty
post Mar 21 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Driver

Member No.: 3,255

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Clay and I just signed up. Only one car though (his) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/red914.jpg) - it's easier driving that far (10+ hours) with two drivers to switch off.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Now... we have to get the muffler changed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif) in his car before October. The last long distance trip we did in it (Albuquerque) we realized we were yelling across the car at each other when we stopped for gas because it was SO LOUD inside the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Yack.gif)

+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Mar 22 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,061

i just talked to a couple of 914ers in Atlanta today ....lots of interest. Al
+Quote Post
shadygrady
post Mar 25 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,400

This sounds like a lot of fun and close to me. I will check with the boss to see if she will allow us to drive her 914. If okay, maybe we can get up a convoy. Al, have you you mentioned this to Lewis? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
schreiber
post Mar 25 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,843

I'll be there!!

Jake
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 25 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #7

just visiting

Member No.: 404

hey Jake!
C'mon by my house again. I took the engine out last week.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 26 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How many Huntsville 914s are there? I think I can count 5 that I've seen.

Oh, the yellow V-8 with the body kit is parked at a independent shop off of the Parkway again. The rear axles are hanging down uncovered.
+Quote Post
schreiber
post Mar 26 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,843

QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 25 2008, 09:02 PM) *

hey Jake!
C'mon by my house again. I took the engine out last week.

I'll try to drop by this weekend??
Jake
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 28 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #10

I just wanted to post the event logo and thank Twise for all his hard work!

Thank you, bud! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 28 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I may be there. That yellow car is hideous. Maybe we should go roll it out into the Parkway and let it get hit.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 28 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #12

You *may* be there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Uhhh... if not... leave Scott the keys to your race shop. We have a tech session scheduled there!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 28 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

You could have it in the parking lot. I do have a lift there also.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 28 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

//break//

Mark... thank you for the banner! It looks awesome!!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 31 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #15

just visiting

Member No.: 404

Ditto the Banner AND the Logo!

+Quote Post
D1A3
post Mar 31 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #16

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Member No.: 2,152

I'm planning to attend. I'll probably hook up with the Atlanta folks to caravan over. Will register in the next couple of days.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #17

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's a long trip... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Mar 31 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #18

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719

Sounds like a good time, I'm up for it.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 31 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #19

As our PCA region is hosting us, we (Brett, Scott and I) had a really positive brief with the PCA leadership at breakfast on Saturday morning!!

They've offered some other resources and volunteers to help smooth the event "mechanics".

I think it's looking great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 06:45 PM