Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Rocket City Ramble, October 16-19, N. Alabama
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
RocketCityRamble
Thanks to all who attended!

-Rusty

The Rocket City Ramble and 10th Annual Mid U.S. Ramble will be held in Huntsville, Alabama from October 16-19, 2008. Considered to be the Silicon Valley of the South, Huntsville is largest city in Northern Alabama and is just south of hilly Southern Tennessee. The area promises great driving for 914 enthusiasts!

Event: We assembled an exciting schedule of events for the entire weekend, including: Car Show, Swap Meet, Poker Run, Tech Quiz, Scenic Tour, Technical Seminars, and an Autocross! This is a very scenic area of the country and we’ll include several drives in and around Alabama and Tennessee. For a detailed schedule of events, CLICK HERE!

Hosts: The RCR is graciously hosted by the Heart of Dixie PCA Region with the support of the PCA 914 Special Interest Group. Also, our attendees have been invited by the Twickingham Auto Club (SCCA) to join their autocross! Thank you to both clubs for your support.

(Please note, you do not need to be a PCA member to attend this event. There is no membership sales pitch! Also, SCCA autocross fee will include a 3-day SCCA membership, if you are not already an SCCA member!)

Autocross: We will be joining the local SCCA chapter on Sunday, October 19th for the Autocross at the Milton Frank Stadium. This is an excellent spot for autocross with virgin (unsealed) blacktop. For all autocross participants, there will be an Autocross Tech Class on Friday afternoon. Autocross fees will be $30 ($35 for non-SCCA members). We will collect cash or checks payable to the local SCCA chapter during registration.)

Bring your helmet, if you have one!

Lodging: The event will be headquartered and primary lodging for this event will be at the Marriott Space and Rocket Center. They have reserved the following for us: a dedicated parking area, a swap-meet location and a hospitality room. We've arranged a RCR discount rate for the rooms of approximately $98 with breakfast for two ($85 without breakfast). We recommend the breakfast! Please contact them direct and mention "Rocket City Ramble" when securing room reservations, phone (256-830-2222).

The deadline to reserve rooms at this price is September 1st! After that, we lose the room block. To cut costs, we may have some space for folks to crash with sleeping bags in the hospitality room... but space will be limited. Send us a note if you want do to that. Also, we can help find alternative lodging if you would prefer a location other than the Marriott. Please drop us a note and we'll be happy to help.

Registration: To make registration as easy as possible, CLICK HERE for our motorsportsreg.com site. You can send us your registration info & t-shirt size, pay via credit card or echeck. Or, you can register online and mail a check/money order/gold bullion to cover the registration fee ($73/person). Also, if you have a co-driver/friend/spouse attending with you, that person will receive a 20 dollar discount on their registration. Your registration fee covers:

•Entry into all the events and activities

•Welcome packet and goodie bag

•Thursday night dinner at Tech Session

•Saturday Night Awards Banquet Meal

•Nice RCR T-shirt

•Trophy costs for all competitive events

-Rusty, Brett, Scott (RCR planning team)

Thursday, October 16th (early day)
  • Check-in Noon - 7pm Marriott lobby
  • Tech Session 4pm-7:30pm (meal paid) Topic: R&R Engine; at SM Racing
  • Social Hour 8pm - ?? Marriott hospitality room

Friday, October 17th Check-in 8am-11am Marriott lobby
  • Car Show (Show & Shine) 10am-11am Marriott grounds
  • Scenic Tour 11am-4pm (lunch own cost) Tour to Guntersville
  • Lunch at Limestone Bay
  • Tech Session 4pm-6pm Topic: Autocross 101
  • Dinner 6pm-9pm

Saturday, October 18th
  • Swap Meet 7:30am-9:30am
  • Poker Run 11am-4:00pm
  • (lunch own cost) Tour to Jack Daniels Distillery & Return
  • Free Time at Marriott 4:00pm-5:30pm Relax, prep for dinner, clean cars for Sunday AX
  • Move to Banquet 5:30pm-6pm
  • Tech Quiz/Happy Hour 6pm-7pm Redstone Officer's Club
  • Dinner, Awards, and great Door Prizes 7pm-9pm (meal paid) Redstone Officer's Club

Sunday, October 19th
  • Travel to Autox Site 7am-7:30am Gather in Marriott parking lot @ 7am
  • Walthru/briefs/paperwork 7:30am-8am Milton Frank Stadium
  • Autocross with SCCA 8am-5pm (lunch meal paid) Milton Frank Stadium
  • Casual dinner 6pm (own cost) TBD

News: We'll post the most current news about the RCR as it comes available!

It's August 16th, two short months away from the Rocket City Ramble / 10th annual Mid US Ramble! I rummaged through my closet and discovered by 1st annual MUSR shirt. I'll probably wear that Thursday night!

A few quick notes:

1. If you know a 914 owner or enthusiast that's not normally online, please pass on information about the RCR! It doesn't matter if their car is up on jack-stands. Send us a note if you have someone who wants to do an offline registration!

2. Someone asked what the weather in Alabama is like in October. Mid-October is not particularly rainy for Alabama. On average for the last 4 years, the daily high has been 78 degrees. On average, the nighttime low was 51. Recommend you pack a light jacket... unless you're from Texas. You guys can buy snow-suits online. (They even have children's sizes, Clay! smile.gif )

3. Car repairs. Most of us carry a small toolbag and some tools. We have Brett's shop near the hotel if we need a place to do significant repairs to a car. The two tours will have a recovery vehicle for support. Also, at the autocross, we'll arrange to have an air compressor and a floor-jack for the 914 crew.

4. Speaking of the autocross, that will be an event for most of Sunday. People who aren't driving will be helping pick up cones and learning how the course operates. We've had one of our fellow Ramblers volunteer to serve as an instructor. (Thanks, Betty!) Oh, if you have a helmet - please bring it. There are a limited number of loaners available. We'll have coffee and donuts in the morning and lunch will be delivered on-site for the RCR crew!

5. I got a strange question from someone about Alabama handgun laws. I am not a lawyer, but I referred to this website. (http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/pistol.htm) Alabama shares a reciprocal concealed carry permit agreement with other states including: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia. Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. There are some restrictions. Please check your local laws and the laws of the states you'll be travelling through.

6. We're all grown, but please do not forget - you must carry registration, proof of insurance and a valid driver's license in the State of Alabama. It's Alabama law. (Yep, I know that some registrations are a sticker in the windshield.)

7. We have a great crew of Supporters who have volunteered to donate door prizes for the Ramble. If you know a company that might like to help out by donating a door prize, ask them to contact us! Our current list of Supporters can be found at http://www.rocketcityramble.com/supporters.htm

It's July 1st, just 107 short days before the Rocket City Ramble / Mid US Ramble! Can you believe that this year is the 10th annual Mid US Ramble? It seems almost like yesterday... driving to Hot Springs, Arkansas for the first MUSR! I need to see if I can find my MUSR1 t-shirt!

A few quick notes about this year's event:

1. There are plenty of rooms available at the Space & Rocket Center Marriott. We are setting up two packages for the room, with and without breakfast. When you call about the room, breakfast for two in the restaurant is 10 dollars more - well worth the expense. Their phone number is 256-830-2222.

2. Dinner on Thursday night is included with the registration fee. We will make a short tour to SM Racing, where we will have our first tech session and grill burgers!

3. If you are bringing your significant other and kids, we're including local maps with malls and stuff annotated. Also, next door to the hotel is the NASA Space & Rocket Center. It's a great way for kids to spend an afternoon!

4. I heard that the PCA requires that gentlemen wear a tie to the Parade final banquet. We won't require a tie, but drivers will need to have registration, proof of insurance and a valid driver's license, because our Saturday evening banquet will be at the Officer's Club on Redstone Arsenal, Alabama. Drop me a note if you have a concern about this.

Please write and ask if you have any questions or concerns. Most of what will appear in these emails will be questions we receive!

The 10th Annual Mid U.S. Ramble will be held in conjunction with the Rocket City Ramble in Huntsville, Alabama from 16-19 October, 2008. This 914-focused event is graciously hosted by our local PCA region. Any and all proceeds from the event will be gifted directly to Toys for Tots and the local Humane Society.

The action-packed weekend will include: tech sessions, two tours, one poker run, tech quiz, swap meet, car show and awards banquet. Also, we've been invited to participate with the local SCCA folks in their Autocross!!!

The city of Huntsville is in Northern Alabama, about two hours South of Nashville. It's very central to the southern U.S. and not too far from our traditional MUSR stomping grounds in Arkansas.
SirAndy
welcome.png biggrin.gif
Betty
aktion035.gif Clay and I just signed up. Only one car though (his) red914.jpg - it's easier driving that far (10+ hours) with two drivers to switch off.

driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Now... we have to get the muffler changed sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif in his car before October. The last long distance trip we did in it (Albuquerque) we realized we were yelling across the car at each other when we stopped for gas because it was SO LOUD inside the car. Yack.gif

Al Meredith
i just talked to a couple of 914ers in Atlanta today ....lots of interest. Al
shadygrady
This sounds like a lot of fun and close to me. I will check with the boss to see if she will allow us to drive her 914. If okay, maybe we can get up a convoy. Al, have you you mentioned this to Lewis? driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif
schreiber
I'll be there!!

Jake
SGB
hey Jake!
C'mon by my house again. I took the engine out last week.
Rusty
How many Huntsville 914s are there? I think I can count 5 that I've seen.

Oh, the yellow V-8 with the body kit is parked at a independent shop off of the Parkway again. The rear axles are hanging down uncovered.
schreiber
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 25 2008, 09:02 PM) *

hey Jake!
C'mon by my house again. I took the engine out last week.

I'll try to drop by this weekend??
Jake
Rusty
I just wanted to post the event logo and thank Twise for all his hard work!

Thank you, bud! smilie_pokal.gif
Brett W
I may be there. That yellow car is hideous. Maybe we should go roll it out into the Parkway and let it get hit.
Rusty
You *may* be there? av-943.gif

Uhhh... if not... leave Scott the keys to your race shop. We have a tech session scheduled there!! biggrin.gif
Brett W
You could have it in the parking lot. I do have a lift there also.
Rusty
Nice. biggrin.gif

//break//

Mark... thank you for the banner! It looks awesome!!
SGB
Ditto the Banner AND the Logo!

D1A3
I'm planning to attend. I'll probably hook up with the Atlanta folks to caravan over. Will register in the next couple of days.
Gint
That's a long trip... driving.gif

icon_bump.gif
blitZ
Sounds like a good time, I'm up for it.
Rusty
As our PCA region is hosting us, we (Brett, Scott and I) had a really positive brief with the PCA leadership at breakfast on Saturday morning!!

They've offered some other resources and volunteers to help smooth the event "mechanics".

I think it's looking great! smile.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 31 2008, 04:26 PM) *

That's a long trip... driving.gif

icon_bump.gif

You can drive to my house and caravan with Betty and I. We will even put you and Sharon up for the night.

We are splitting the trip into 2 5 hour days. We did 10 hours to Abq, and we were almost deaf when we got back. We were shouting at each other during the last few gas stops.

Betty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 31 2008, 10:42 PM) *

We were shouting at each other during the last few gas stops.

...What my husband failed to mention is it wasn't because we were pissed at each other; it was because the exhaust in his car is too freakin' loud!...

Brett W
The more the merrier. ANYBODY is welcome.
tommy914
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 31 2008, 09:49 PM) *

...What my husband failed to mention is it wasn't because we were pissed at each other; it was because the exhaust in his car is too freakin' loud!...

2 words.... ear plugs.

I started using them on long trips, makes a world of difference.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Apr 2 2008, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 31 2008, 09:49 PM) *

2 words.... ear plugs.

I started using them on long trips, makes a world of difference.

I think she is trying to get me to put a quieter muffler on my car........ dry.gif
SGB
This is going to be a really full event. The location -literally at the Space and Rocket center just like the picture linked in my sig- is great, and they are fully supporting the whole deal too. They will start collecting old towels to donate sometime before the Ramble. They will let us take command of the bar and watch Speed (B/J auction is scheduled), or movies (LeMans, etc). The tours are dramamine good. I've been thinking Huntsville would be a great host point for a 914 party for years and now it is going to happen smile.gif The hardest thing will be toping this next year...

The SCCA Autocross location is great. It will take place on a smooth wide open stadium parking lot. The local SCCA folks do a great job, running many of these at this location. They have worked out all the bugs I think. It is right next to a park with a small lake where we can have lunch, too.
ClayPerrine
Betty and I were talking about this event last night......

We already decided to split it into 2 days of driving to get there, and 2 days back. So she said that if we are only driving 5 hours each day, we could take both cars.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif

You gotta love a woman like that!!! wub.gif
blitZ
Registered, Woo Hoo, Road Trip!! driving.gif
racerbvd
Great, an event that is in the south, I just hope one of my 914s is ready!!!
Al Meredith
I spoke to Louis Broyles today and he is working to get Grady's silver car running and he is interested .
SGB
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Apr 14 2008, 04:13 PM) *

I spoke to Louis Broyles today and he is working to get Grady's silver car running and he is interested .

Thanks Les.
Thanks Al. Lewis was the hero of the ECC with that motor mount repair on Jason's car. I hope he can make it (in case we need him again- ha) Here we are at his house....
SGB
We will have an engine drop tech session/ dinner at SM racing on Thursday night. There are great photo opportunities on the drives. I think there will be cool trophies for the car show winners- with lots of categories.
dwillouby
I should also be able to make it.
David
SGB
Dog-
this thing moves back fast.

Weather should be peak fall color, and the poker run and scenic tour are through wooded mountainous areas. I was told today that Bankhead parkway- a favorite little local curvy road up to M. Sano state park is BEING REPAVED. oh yeh. I gotta go check out what is happening.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm registered.
Rusty
Good morning, Curt!

Got your registration... and follow-up email.

You're the first to notice a valid issue with the settings for registering with a co-driver/passenger.

I got them tweaked - should be much easier. Thank you! smilie_pokal.gif

-Rusty

TheCabinetmaker
Good morning to you Rusty. Can I go back in the registration form to include said passengers name, sex, shirt size, etc?
Rusty
Yes, you can go back into the registration form... but it's not set up for that. headbang.gif

PM me the information for your lovely passenger. I going to do some more tweaking to find a better way to collect that data. The system is pretty powerful... I think I just need to set up more data fields. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 25 2008, 08:41 AM) *

Good morning to you Rusty. Can I go back in the registration form to include said passengers name, sex, shirt size, etc?

Sooo.... who is coming with you???

Do you want to meet us in Memphis on the way out?
TheCabinetmaker
Jello shots!

When ya gonna be in Memphis? We're gonna try to make a one day drive. Hmm, 600 miles, potty stop every 50 miles. Long day. Maybe not.
Might leave t-town on wed afternoon. 6 hours to Memphis. Spend night with sister, and on to Hville thursday morn.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 25 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Jello shots!

When ya gonna be in Memphis? We're gonna try to make a one day drive. Hmm, 600 miles, potty stop every 50 miles. Long day. Maybe not.
Might leave t-town on wed afternoon. 6 hours to Memphis. Spend night with sister, and on to Hville thursday morn.

We are splitting it to two days, because we are taking both cars. 5 hours in a 914 is enough. Little Rock is halfway, so we are stopping there for the night. If you want to meet us there on Thursday morning, some time, we can run together. I really don't know what time we are leaving, but it looks like at least 3 914s (and one water pumper) coming from DFW, and maybe more.

Brett W
Good that means I can show up. Maybe I will bring the Honda.
stock93
Cool. I've been kinda wanting to autocross the 318is just for the fun of it anyway.

John
TheCabinetmaker
Clay, Memphis is only 6 hrs from Tulsa, but we could prolly do that. Would be nice to travel with others.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 30 2008, 08:59 AM) *

Clay, Memphis is only 6 hrs from Tulsa, but we could prolly do that. Would be nice to travel with others.

Wife wants to stop in Little Rock. It is the halfway point for us. I may be able to talk her into Memphis. It is not that much farther.

I will let you know.
racerbvd
Clay, I posted the info on a few other sites & am having the Darkside DE post it as well. Did you send any info to Coco's Track Schedule.com??
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 30 2008, 01:37 PM) *

Clay, I posted the info on a few other sites & am having the Darkside DE post it as well. Did you send any info to Coco's Track Schedule.com??

Nope. I didn't see any of it.

Are you coming up for the event?
Rusty
I got confirmation on the dinner menu... still working on desert. While it's very doable - I've been told a chocolate fountain for dipping (strawberries, cookies, marshmallows, etc) might be a bit over the top. (Where's our wine & cheeze smiley? biggrin.gif )

• Tossed Salad
  • Bowl Sliced Cucumbers
  • Bowl Cherry Tomatoes
  • 2 Dressings on Buffet line
  • Choice of 3 Entrees: London Broil, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Pasta Vegetable Delight
  • Sides: Parsley buttered new potatoes, Rice pilaf and green beans almondine
  • Rolls/Butter
  • Coffee/Iced Tea/Water
Rusty
Hi guys... we worked out the numbers for total registrations & the banquet facilities. We're going to be capped at about 90 seats.

My plan is to hold the registrations open for 914 brothers and sisters as long as I can... and then open it up to any local PCA folks that might want to attend.

Understanding how gas prices are biting everyone in the butt, we're doing all we can to make the registration costs a good value... and yet still have a venue that your sweetheart will enjoy!

Running all the numbers, we're hoping to break even... but any profits from the event will be split evenly between the local Humane Society and the Toys-for-Tots program. wub.gif

-Rusty
MiddleGACruiser
I just got off the phone with Shawna in reservations at the Marriott Space and Rocket Center and she said there's no Rocket City Ramble group and that I would have to register for $115 a night if I wanted to register. She read through a list of groups but our's wasn't one. WTF.gif Anyone know what's up there? Have we lost the hotel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.