Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Rocket City Ramble, October 16-19, N. Alabama
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 4 2008, 12:11 AM) *

Hi Clay, I just posted an update with photos in the alien thread. I think I figured out a fix for my cam. If not I'm running my US cams. I ordered thick head gasket from Cometic. I won't see them until Wednesday. I'll finish the engine and install it by the weekend. I should make it one way or another.

Ah.. c'mon....

You have to do what I did with Betty's car the one year.

Finish reassembling the motor at around 5PM, fire it off in the garage, say "Yep.. it runs" and leave for the MUSR the next morning!!!!

biggrin.gif

Glad to hear it is going to be finished. I really want to see it in person!

Grngoat
I talked to Richard at the shop a couple weeks ago. I believe he was going to Oklahoma the same weekend or the weekend before maybe. Either way, he's not coming.
Doug Leggins
I just registered! beerchug.gif

I've got a little work to get the car ready -solve a fuel starvation problem, but hopefully not a big issue.

I don't see anyone else from Indiana or Kentucky yet.... It would be good to travel with another 914 or more.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ Oct 4 2008, 04:51 PM) *

I just registered! beerchug.gif

I've got a little work to get the car ready -solve a fuel starvation problem, but hopefully not a big issue.

I don't see anyone else from Indiana or Kentucky yet.... It would be good to travel with another 914 or more.

C'mon down and meet up with us in Memphis on Thursday Morning!!!

Gonna have a really cool caravan going from there!
wbergtho
Rick & I need a definitive answer on whether or not the Memphis people are going to leave early or hang for a while for Rick & I to show up and bring this 914 cravan in with style. If we don't get an answer, we'll probably just go to Nashville and on through.

Bill
rick 918-S
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Oct 5 2008, 12:01 AM) *

Rick & I need a definitive answer on whether or not the Memphis people are going to leave early or hang for a while for Rick & I to show up and bring this 914 cravan in with style. If we don't get an answer, we'll probably just go to Nashville and on through.

Bill

We need a pole. wacko.gif av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
We will be waiting in Memphis until 11:00 on Thursday. We can't check into the hotel in Huntsville until 3PM anyway, so we may as well relax and wait for Y'all.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 5 2008, 04:32 PM) *

We will be waiting in Memphis until 11:00 on Thursday. We can't check into the hotel in Huntsville until 3PM anyway, so we may as well relax and wait for Y'all.

Cool, I pm'ed you my cell #
wbergtho

I did as well. I like it when a plan just falls together. After Rick finishes whittling a pair of S cams from balsa wood, we'll be on our way south. Hey Rick, I suppose you'll need at least 150-200 miles of regular driving before we leave. Cruising at a constant steady RPM is not really the best way to break a fresh motor in...agree?
SGB
Dang, I need a helicopter to watch this come in!

Confirmation on the LaQuinta on primacy parkway. Almost new. Easy to find. Easy to get going this way from. Its right near St Francis (I think) Hospital. I used to stay there when I went to Memphis on business.

Alright Doug! I hoped you would make it.

Don't sweat the schedule. Someone can wait at the hotel for you. Even if you are pretty late, it is easy to find SM Racing, and we will just be hanging out grilling some burgers and pulling the engine outa Rusty's car. I think you will be fine even leaving by 12 or even 12:30. There is no real traffic between here and Memphis- but watch out for constabulary around Iuka, MS and Courtland, AL . I used to drive my 914 over when I had TDY and I got ticketed in Town Creek, AL.

Whoo-wee bring it on! Man I hope those dilithium cams come in early!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Oct 5 2008, 05:33 PM) *

I did as well. I like it when a plan just falls together. After Rick finishes whittling a pair of S cams from balsa wood, we'll be on our way south. Hey Rick, I suppose you'll need at least 150-200 miles of regular driving before we leave. Cruising at a constant steady RPM is not really the best way to break a fresh motor in...agree?

I think I will be fine on the break in, as long as I'm not break in it. dry.gif laugh.gif I'll run it on and off the ramps as I go down the freeway. This should be stop and go enough for a good ring set. The car should be running by Monday night. I'll have Tuesday to work on heat and nut and bolting the thing. (rechecking the fasteners) I should be ready Wednesday AM early.
blitZ
I was thinking the Georgia group may need to pin down a departure location and time on Thursday.

I think this is everyone.

Bob
Grady
Jason
Al
John
Lewis
Me
Jeff, may be too far south?
naro914
Not sure if I am the "Bob" in the group, but Nadine and I will be coming down from Charlotte through ATL, so give us a time and place (hopefully not way too early - we're 4 hours away!) and we'll meet up.
Grady and I have been conversing about it, but nothing set.
blitZ
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 6 2008, 06:16 PM) *

Not sure if I am the "Bob" in the group, but Nadine and I will be coming down from Charlotte through ATL, so give us a time and place (hopefully not way too early - we're 4 hours away!) and we'll meet up.
Grady and I have been conversing about it, but nothing set.

I was referring to Bob in Athens, didn't mean to leave you out. The more the merrier.
naro914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 6 2008, 06:35 PM) *

I was referring to Bob in Athens, didn't mean to leave you out. The more the merrier.

np, that's why I asked....assumed it was some local Georgia Bob, not us NC people... smile.gif

shadygrady
I didn't want to leave too early myself. Remember Alabama is an hour behind us. Check in is at 3pm their time, 4pm our time? I was wondering which path the Atlanta crowd would take to Huntsville. I want to meet up with the convoy along the way. driving.gif Will you be going through Cave Spring or Cedartown or Rome? Rome would be nice. piratenanner.gif I was planning to ride along with the convoy, attend the tech session and come back to my house in Rome Thursday nite. That way I get to drive a little more. Also, my wife, the car owner, is working Thursday and can't go until Friday, but I can borrow her car Thursday if I bring it home Thursday nite. Then Friday morning we will be there for the festivities and spend Friday and Saturday nites in Huntsville. driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif chowtime.gif
Rusty
Fellow Ramblers,

Check-in at the Marriott is typically at 3pm. However, if rooms are ready they'll let people check in early.

Also, don't forget that check-in for the event will take a few minutes as well. You must get that done before we head over to SM Racing... during that time, you'll sign event waivers, sign SCCA autocross stuff if you're going to the AX, goodie bags, local maps, and other stuff.

Oh... and if you want to wash your car after your trip - hoses and buckets will be there, too. driving.gif

Come early, avoid the 3pm-4pm rush at the registration desks - you won't be bored. smile.gif

-Rusty
shadygrady
Rusty, I just learned that the calipers that Rich Herzog sent me Saturday came off the 911 you sold him 5 years ago. So those m calipers will be coming home for a visit next week. This sure is a great crowd.
Rusty
Has it been five years already?

I miss that car, but with the demands of my job, I just couldn't store and maintain as many cars as I had.

I'm grateful that the 911 went to a good home... and I hope the calipers serve you well. smile.gif

-Rusty
blitZ
QUOTE(shadygrady @ Oct 6 2008, 07:11 PM) *

I didn't want to leave too early myself. Remember Alabama is an hour behind us. Check in is at 3pm their time, 4pm our time? I was wondering which path the Atlanta crowd would take to Huntsville. I want to meet up with the convoy along the way. driving.gif Will you be going through Cave Spring or Cedartown or Rome? Rome would be nice. piratenanner.gif I was planning to ride along with the convoy, attend the tech session and come back to my house in Rome Thursday nite. That way I get to drive a little more. Also, my wife, the car owner, is working Thursday and can't go until Friday, but I can borrow her car Thursday if I bring it home Thursday nite. Then Friday morning we will be there for the festivities and spend Friday and Saturday nites in Huntsville. driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif chowtime.gif

I assumed we would take I-20, since it is a straight shot. I'm up for an alternate route if the others are. When in Rome... rolleyes.gif
SGB
I think the best route from atlanta to Huntsville is up 75 to Adairsville (Grady could meet you near here), through Summerville, Menlo, Mentone (over lookout mountain), down to Scotsboro. Definitely better for Porsches than 1-20.

Start at: Atlanta, GA
I-75 N toward Adairsville/Summerville - 0.3 mi
Turn left at GA-140 (signs for Adairsville) Continue to follow GA-140 - 16.0 mi
Turn right at US-27 Continue to follow GA-1/US-27 - 13.9 mi (THATS ABOUT 10 NILES NORTH OF ROME GRADY)
Turn left at GA-48 Continue to follow GA-48 Entering Alabama - 12.6 mi
Continue on AL-117 - 10.4 mi
ZIg right at AL-117/AL-7/US-11 - 0.1 mi
Zag left at AL-117/AL-40 Continue to follow AL-40 - 23.9 mi
Turn right at AL-35- 3.4 mi
Turn left onto the ramp to US-72 - 56 fti
Continue on I-565 W - 1.7 mi

Arrive at: Huntsville, AL

google map
hot_shoe914
Primacy Parkway is about 3 miles from my house. There are two of us here that plan on convoying from Memphis with you guys.

SHOE
Al Meredith
I just got the 914 ,I intend to take to H'ville, from the paint shop. The engine has been rebuilt and started on the test stand and Blake just finished a rebuild on the Xmission. I have to put everything back on and install the engine, all the brakes and shocks . This is starting to feel like an episode of "overhaulin" will it be done on time. I'll have to bring the 912E if I can't finish on time.

I would suggest Altanta to Rome , meet up with Grady , then through Scottsboro, AL onto Huntsville.

Rusty
Good morning, Ramblers!

One restaurant and the banquet folks have asked for a projection on meal choices. idea.gif

I sent a note out asking for RSVPs and menu choices for a couple of the meals. When you get a chance (read: very soon, please), please reply to that email and let us know what you want to eat! chowtime.gif

-Rusty type.gif
tommy914
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 7 2008, 07:08 AM) *

Good morning, Ramblers!

One restaurant and the banquet folks have asked for a projection on meal choices. idea.gif

I sent a note out asking for RSVPs and menu choices for a couple of the meals. When you get a chance (read: very soon, please), please reply to that email and let us know what you want to eat! chowtime.gif

-Rusty type.gif

Rusty,
any additional details on the lunch choices for Friday?
Triple-Salad plate - what are the 3 salads
BBQ plate- chicken or beef or possum ?
Soup & Half-Sandwich plate - type of soup? type of sandwich?

thanks

Rusty
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:13 AM) *

Rusty,
any additional details on the lunch choices for Friday?
Triple-Salad plate - what are the 3 salads
BBQ plate- chicken or beef or possum ?
Soup & Half-Sandwich plate - type of soup? type of sandwich?

thanks

I didn't ask for a lot of details on the plates, but I called. I've been eating there for some time and the food is always excellent. They cater some of the very high end weddings in town. Everything on the menu is good.

The triple-salad plate is a choice of three of five different salads (think chicken salad, pasta salad, tuna salad, etc, etc).

The BBQ is beef.

The soup is vegetable beef. If I remember correctly, the sandwich choices include homemade Chicken Salad; Tuna Salad, Turkey, Ham, Club or BLT.

Hope this helps,
Rusty
MiddleGACruiser
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 6 2008, 06:09 PM) *

I was thinking the Georgia group may need to pin down a departure location and time on Thursday.

I think this is everyone.

Bob
Grady
Jason
Al
John
Lewis
Me
Jeff, may be too far south?

I'll be taking a more southern route but I'll be along directly.
Jeff
Rusty
Ramblers and Ramblers-to-be!

Today is the last day for registrations! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
SGB
Talked to Nick, the Manager of the bar at the Marriott- Space and Rocket Center. He can let me hook up a DVD player to watch LeMans, or we could watch the Barret/Jackson auction from Lost Wages...

He's gonna open the joint early on Friday for the Autocross 101 class.

Rusty has made some truly beautiful trophies and awards. I just know its all gonna go by so fast and I'll be lookin' back- but also forward to NEXT YEAR! WHERE WILL IT BE? smile.gif

We be Ramblin' soon!
rick 918-S
Photo contest after the Ramble? idea.gif Challenge!

Oh, and is it warm enough to go topless? biggrin.gif I cold here and the leaves are going fast! dry.gif
SGB
I'm hoping for mid-70s for highs and mid-50s for lows. That would be typical anyway. I usually keep the top off untill mid december...
The leaves are just starting to turn here and should peak in about 10 days.
cooltimes
Edit: Crap, I am a week early. Sorry bout that. Rust on the brain and no cure in sight. Pick it up next week end, Been down on the I40 exit 83 overpass all day waiting to see a 914 that runs well enough to go places outside the city limits..

Nearly midnight, 1st day of the RCR. How bout some feed back on what everyone is doing. Surley even the oldest hasn't hit the sack yet.
Has to be some party animals and news of the trips getting there so sock it to us

Mike Cooley
who says:
"I am too ugly to ramble".
Rusty
Mike... are you sure you can't come down? I saved a "walk-in" slot for you.

bye1.gif
naro914
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Oct 11 2008, 02:01 AM) *

Edit: Crap, I am a week early. Sorry bout that. Rust on the brain and no cure in sight. Pick it up next week end, Been down on the I40 exit 83 overpass all day waiting to see a 914 that runs well enough to go places outside the city limits..

Nearly midnight, 1st day of the RCR. How bout some feed back on what everyone is doing. Surley even the oldest hasn't hit the sack yet.
Has to be some party animals and news of the trips getting there so sock it to us

Mike Cooley
who says:
"I am too ugly to ramble".

DON'T DO THAT TO ME!! I woke up this morning, checked my emails before I had coffee (and after a late night of a few adult beverages drunk.gif ) and saw the original post... then immediately checked the calendar and website to see if we were missing the weekend!!! headbang.gif

Jeez.... THAT got me going ....
Need more coffee.....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 11 2008, 09:40 AM) *

DON'T DO THAT TO ME!!
Jeez.... THAT got me going ....
Need more coffee.....

me too... I'm already two weeks behind on everything dealing with the crashed Subie so everything's a bit of a thrash. The Plan has been to FedEx the painting outta here Monday (Tuesday at the latest) so if it were happening this weekend I'da been screwed on that plan...

Calm(er) now. Busy weekend ahead of me. Rebuild Subie suspension, mow an acre of grass, paint like a man posessed...
cooltimes
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 11 2008, 03:54 AM) *

Mike... are you sure you can't come down? I saved a "walk-in" slot for you.

bye1.gif

Actually, I would if I could, Thanks for the generous offer and encouragement. You have no idea how good you made me feel the moment I saw your post ole Rusty one. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

The really bad thing is I had sort of planned to sneak in and just watch from a safe distance and actually see some 914's and the people who do these ramble things.
I don't really fit in the same 914 brotherhood per my past experiences with some Ramblers and that is honestly to say because of my own faults and errors.

You wouldn't want to walk a mile in my shoes is the nicest way for me to say it. I didn't ever intend to burn any bridges but some others have so I'll try and do the I40 exit 83 overpass 914 salute if I can calculate the day and time correctly.

Sorry I spooked anyone with the week early error post. Don't forget, I am getting more senile and it is embarrassing to make an error about my favorite interest in life, the 914 and it's people. Extra cup of coffee or beer3.gif does wonders.

My Grandson's birthday party falls on the same weekend so now the toast is burned and I can't even do the sneaky old me thing above.
EDIT: He will be 5 and wouldn't understand me not being there on his day.
Mike Cooley
Rusty
Well, Mike... we're all friends... and every one of us makes mistakes from time to time - especially me.

At the end of the day, we can all hang out in the parking lot and drink a beer together.

So, if ya want - come on down for a day or an evening. Everyone will be happy to see ya!
cooltimes
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 11 2008, 11:12 AM) *

Well, Mike... we're all friends... and every one of us makes mistakes from time to time - especially me.

At the end of the day, we can all hang out in the parking lot and drink a beer together.

So, if ya want - come on down for a day or an evening. Everyone will be happy to see ya!

Rusty,
I like what you wrote.A good one to remember when I have another chance to visit a ramble. Sometimes the shadows of the past is too well remembered when it isn't the correct answers for the future. How true this quote below is:

Men in rage strike those that wish them best.—Shakespeare.

Like a good lager we all can appreciate, I look forward to the future times for 914 friendship.

Mike
rick 918-S
My engine is complete. I just rolled the car in to the shop for the engine install. She should be running tonight. I've got everything crossed. If I could cross my butt cheeks I would... av-943.gif
wbergtho
Good show mate! Now go get a few miles on that beast. Did you spin the engine over with no surprises? I'll bet you have it this time. Alabama here we come! driving.gif
SGB
Alright! Go Rick, Go!! Mike, sorry you can't make it- but a birthday party for a five year old is a blast too! Maybe we can get together soon somehow.

Did my third autocross today. Man, I suck, but it sure was fun. Next week is in a better (bigger and smoother) location. I'm afraid I'm a very poor representative of what 914 can do. Somebody better be able to hand it back to all these Miatas and Minis that seem to dominate.

I saw Rusty this morning. He is finishing up the trophies and other awards. All system are "GO" for launch.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 11 2008, 09:45 PM) *

Alright! Go Rick, Go!! Mike, sorry you can't make it- but a birthday party for a five year old is a blast too! Maybe we can get together soon somehow.

Did my third autocross today. Man, I suck, but it sure was fun. Next week is in a better (bigger and smoother) location. I'm afraid I'm a very poor representative of what 914 can do. Somebody better be able to hand it back to all these Miatas and Minis that seem to dominate.

I saw Rusty this morning. He is finishing up the trophies and other awards. All system are "GO" for launch.

Get a ride from Betty at the autocross on Sunday. She is so smooth that she looks like she is just out for a Sunday drive when she is on the AX course. Now if only she would let me make her motor more powerful.....

Spent the day cleaning up two 914s for the trip. We also went over to Travis and Robyn Howard's house. (They both lurk here, even though Robyn drives a waterpumper). Helped Travis replace the throttle body on his 74 2.0. It is so worn, that the throttle plate literally clacks side to side when wide open. He had to put aluminum tape over the bleed hole in the plate to get it to idle down.

Oh, and we got the door pads from James and Heidi (morphenspectra) for Betty's car. He did a really quick job for us, and they are just beautiful. But her car smells of fiberglass resin inside right now. Hopefully it will go away fairly quickly.

After work tomorrow I wash and wax my 914/6.

See y'all in a day or two!

Al Meredith
Well it's final , I will not be driving my freshly painted blue and gulf orange 914 to the RCR this week. John jentz and Larry "904SVO" and Blake worked all day Saturday with me but we could not complete enough to make the car drivable. I'll post some pics and bring some with me to Huntsville next week. I will be driving over in my 912 E as I know that will make the trip.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Oct 12 2008, 08:42 PM) *

Well it's final , I will not be driving my freshly painted blue and gulf orange 914 to the RCR this week. John jentz and Larry "904SVO" and Blake worked all day Saturday with me but we could not complete enough to make the car drivable. I'll post some pics and bring some with me to Huntsville next week. I will be driving over in my 912 E as I know that will make the trip.

sad.gif

Bummer.. but I am still glad you will be there.
Eric_Shea
Alabama here we come is right... we're going to jump in a box tonight and be on our way biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
naro914
FINALLY took Huey out for a ride today. There are still a hundred things that need to be done to make him the way we want, but overall he's running well. Still chasing some carb issues - keeps popping out of the carbs and has a small hesitation on acceleration - but overall pretty good. But it did tell us one thing....there will most likely be a bunch of stops on the way....not the most comfortable on long trips!
tommy914
Almost ready to go:

wheels polished - check
oil change - check
new oil pressure sender line - check
fix fog light - check
paint Bursch exhaust... again - check
wax and detail exterior - check
new wiper blades - check

left to do:
detail interior
cut the grass

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 12 2008, 10:31 PM) *

Almost ready to go:

wheels polished - check
oil change - check
fix fog light - check
new wiper blades - check

left to do:
detail interior
cut the grass

You are bringing the 914, Right??? biggrin.gif
naro914
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 12 2008, 11:31 PM) *

Almost ready to go:

wheels polished - check
oil change - check
fix fog light - check
new wiper blades - check

left to do:
detail interior
cut the grass

Hmmm....I guess not nearly ready to go:

wheels polished - Not yet
oil change - engine just installed, so not needed yet
new oil pressure sender line - actually may need, but not happening..
fix fog light - no fog lights
paint Bursch exhaust... how about touch up all paint dings and nicks on car?
wax and detail exterior - Not Yet
new wiper blades - Hmm good idea...

left to do:
polish wheels
detail interior
detail exterior
figure out what the heck the noise in the front suspension it
play around with the carbs so I don't have to worry about them anymore
fix front fog light/horn grills
...and may as well hook up horn
find reg and insurance card for the dealer tag I'm using
....and the whole list of things I can't think of at 11pm on Sunday.

No problem. List is usually longer this close to an event. I feel ahead of schedule!!

wbergtho
Hey Rick,

How bout an update on your fun in the garage? I bet it is almost ready to beat on.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.