Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking at 73 2.0 914, Newbie needs help
cgjunk2
post Mar 21 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,827
Region Association: None

Hello all,

Forgive me for being a newbie and all, but I've got a question that didn't lend itself well to searches.

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 73 2 liter that has been converted to carbs. Still in the early stages of asking questions before I go take a look at the car. Does anyone know how much of problem carb conversions are for registration/emmision requirements. I know that it varies from place to place, but does it ever totally disqualify you from meeting emission requirements for any state (save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2). Would I be getting into a bureocratic nightmare? Or is it generally straightforward to get these registered and to pass emissions. I'm in WI if anyone knows in specific. Total noob when it comes to classic cars, so please be gentle with me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 21 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 09:25 AM) *

(save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2)

here in CA, vehicles build in '75 or older are exempt from emission testing ... so you might want to check with your state ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy

PS: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
cgjunk2
post Mar 21 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2008, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 09:25 AM) *

(save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2)

here in CA, vehicles build in '75 or older are exempt from emission testing ... so you might want to check with your state ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy

PS: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks for the welcome. Ironically, every vehicle newer than 1968 in most metro cities of WI requires testing. I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 21 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 12:42 PM) *
I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

You'll definitely need to know that. IN some states it will automatically disqualify the car immediately.

And... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
cgjunk2
post Mar 21 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 21 2008, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 12:42 PM) *
I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

You'll definitely need to know that. IN some states it will automatically disqualify the car immediately.

And... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Great, now my joke about california will probably come back and bite me. I'm sorry California.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:51 AM