Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at 73 2.0 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cgjunk2
Hello all,

Forgive me for being a newbie and all, but I've got a question that didn't lend itself well to searches.

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 73 2 liter that has been converted to carbs. Still in the early stages of asking questions before I go take a look at the car. Does anyone know how much of problem carb conversions are for registration/emmision requirements. I know that it varies from place to place, but does it ever totally disqualify you from meeting emission requirements for any state (save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2). Would I be getting into a bureocratic nightmare? Or is it generally straightforward to get these registered and to pass emissions. I'm in WI if anyone knows in specific. Total noob when it comes to classic cars, so please be gentle with me. smile.gif

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 09:25 AM) *

(save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2)

here in CA, vehicles build in '75 or older are exempt from emission testing ... so you might want to check with your state ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
cgjunk2
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2008, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 09:25 AM) *

(save for California, where I'm sure exhaling is regulated for co2)

here in CA, vehicles build in '75 or older are exempt from emission testing ... so you might want to check with your state ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png

Thanks for the welcome. Ironically, every vehicle newer than 1968 in most metro cities of WI requires testing. I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

Gint
QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 12:42 PM) *
I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

You'll definitely need to know that. IN some states it will automatically disqualify the car immediately.

And... welcome.png
cgjunk2
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 21 2008, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(cgjunk2 @ Mar 21 2008, 12:42 PM) *
I just couldn't find info on if FI to carbs outright disqualify you, or if you can try a sniff test regardless of your fuel system. I'll keep looking, but if anyone in WI has any direct info on this, or maybe links handy, please pass them along.

You'll definitely need to know that. IN some states it will automatically disqualify the car immediately.

And... welcome.png

Great, now my joke about california will probably come back and bite me. I'm sorry California.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.