Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> This just might be enough spool, Falcon's jump to new turbos
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 25 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Attached Image

Just a progress pic of the turbo upgrade from old school IHI, to the latest technology Turbonetics GTKs. The IHIs gave me slingshot like starts, but were never that strong way up on top, actually felt like the car was fitted with Nascar intake restrictors ! These GTKs are fierce, the car doesn't even idle like it did before. Although I haven't fit the mufflers yet, it has an unique exhaust sound that I've only heard from 935s and 962s at the Historics. The throttle response is now like instantaneous ...almost like a high compression n/a engine.
Turbonetics has come up with (my take on it) the best dry turbo around:
ceramic ball bearings, F1 technology impeller design, ceramic coated housings, and huge 4" dia. compressor inlets. I've also had all of the new tubes ceramic coated (Xtreme brand) too. These 2 units (350 series) will support in excess of 750 bhp, or +250 more than the previous IHIs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
This version should be like riding a big one at Pipeline !
Marty
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 27)
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 27 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

QUOTE(John @ Mar 27 2008, 06:56 PM) *

So I looked through my old magazines and found the article I remember (but I wasn't still in high school or college in November 1995). They say the mind is the first thing to go....

That article describes the engine as a 3.2 liter 962-type engine, and pictures show a horizontal fan.

It also looks like some type of modified 3.2 intake manifolds.

Again, I really like your car.

Do you still have the 3.2, 4-wheel drive Vanagon?

John , the 3.2 Syncro-van (Range Panzer) sold in 2005 . A friend of mine bought it and drove it up to NorCal, used it as an engine donor back into a into a 9146GT.
The van, as far as I know was sold again (roller) and converted back to a wasserpumper. The 911 powered van went everywhere you put it...even thru the Big Sur creek (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
The 914 started its magazine life in 1976 "VW Greats", 1984 "VW & Porsche", 1995 "European Car" and 2004 (?) "Excellence".
Thanks for the props !
Marty
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 27 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #22

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Why are you hesitating, do it, it will fit right in, you just need to have a crossover pipe made, and decide where you want your turbo mounted. I love Marty's twin turbo's but he is insane i am only a little crazy.
If you have the engine already you wouldn't need much. Wastgate, a few flanges, bov, fuel pump, assorted silicone hoses, wide band Ar gauge.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 27 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #23

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 27 2008, 06:28 PM) *

Why are you hesitating, do it, it will fit right in, you just need to have a crossover pipe made, and decide where you want your turbo mounted. I love Marty's twin turbo's but he is insane i am only a little crazy.
If you have the engine already you wouldn't need much. Wastgate, a few flanges, bov, fuel pump, assorted silicone hoses, wide band Ar gauge.

All that equals MONEY.

I have to pace myself as my wife and kids seem to take priority when it comes to money ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) ).

I'll get the car (which is a totally stripped down tub on a rotisserie) ready for running gear and then decide what engine it will get.

The spare engine needs to come apart to determine what was causing a slight knock. (The reason I replaced the engine in my 930 in the first place).

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 27 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #24

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes money does pose a big problem with these cars and all of our ideas to do things to them. Marty you are a bad influence on all of us......thanks!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 27 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 27 2008, 07:44 PM) *

Yes money does pose a big problem with these cars and all of our ideas to do things to them. Marty you are a bad influence on all of us......thanks!

David, when I started modding cars I was an oil change boy at a local Ind. Porsche shop. When the right parts came along and the $$ were tight, I lived on mac and cheese . Today I'd love to buy a 962 , but eating Top ramen just doesn't get it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Mar 28 2008, 05:23 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

[/quote]
The 914 started its magazine life in 1976 "VW Greats", 1984 "VW & Porsche", 1995 "European Car" and 2004 (?) "Excellence".
Thanks for the props !
Marty
[/quote]

Cool, I'll have to look into my back issues for some weekend reading! I know I've got the VW Greats (best VW and Porsche magazine ever, IMO!) and I think the VW & Porsche issues. I'll have to see on EC....

Always fun to re-read an interesting article on a great car.
Thanks Marty - for putting that 914 completely over the top!
Jeff
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 28 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #27

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

I love that air shroud! it looks like a corvair!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 28 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Attached Image
QUOTE(purple @ Mar 28 2008, 05:32 AM) *

I love that air shroud! it looks like a corvair!

I don't think that Ralph Nader had anything to do with this type of air cooling fan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Jeff , thanks for the props !
Marty
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:21 AM