Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My car got hit today while it was parked, the person took off!, Ouch!
levonfarra
post Mar 26 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,521
Region Association: None

I had my car parked in the street cause I had to take it to work today and some A-hole hit it and ran!

Attached Image

The drivers door is damaged, I can not open the door or roll the window up or down. Nothing else got damaged. I am thinking it was an SUV because the area of impact seems high. I am going to let my auto ins. know tomorrow.

Need some advise:
What are the possibilitis of a body shop finding and installing the correct door for a 73 [door with the newer style window regulator and w/ out the heavy reinforcement bar (what is the range of that by the way?)] or am I better off trying to find one myself. How would that work with insurance? Anyone know of a good body shop in the Los Angeles area that is fimiliar with these cars ? Etc.

thanks for your help,

Levon

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 32)
Trevorg7
post Mar 27 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

That sucks, sorry. That is a aweful feeling when you walk out and see something like that. Get'er fixed and drive again.

T
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Mar 27 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #22

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

I am soooo realizing I need to switch over to a brighter, lighter color than the black I'm with now.

When I was driving my arrest me red or my lemon yellow vehicles I never had these problems...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) Life lessons suck most times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Mar 27 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #23

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I feel your pain...

There was a one year stretch where my car spent more time at the body shop than on the road. 3 times it was hit in parking lots! And at no time was I in (or even NEAR) the car.

It was the same story every time. Backing up in a big SUV, and not using the side mirrors or actually turning their heads. Since your car is low and dark colored (like mine), <blam> was the result. Lucky for me, the culprits took responsibility each time. But your door looks almost exactly like my right rear quarter panel did when some lady backing up in her SUV stove in the side of my car because she was driving the thing like it was a sedan (hit number 1).

All I can say is that I became keenly aware of where I parked and how my car was situated.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 27 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #24

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Accidents happen, but to not leave a note is subhuman.

Maybe I'm getting way too cynical in my old age, but my guess is that the majority of people would not bother leaving a note.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 27 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #25

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

It looks like they slowly pushed on it like they backed into it. They were probably putting on make-up with one hand and talking on a cell phone with the other hand. An SUV to be sure. They probably couldn't figure out why their land yacht wasn't moving and stepped on the gas harder.

It really sucks that people are so irresponsible as to not leave any note.

I feel for your loss, but on the bright side, it looks like the bumper imprint was high enough not to crush the long.

You should start looking for a replacement door. I don't know that I would turn it in on my insurance. It would probably be less expensive to find a door and take it to a body shop to be sprayed.

With any luck, you will be able to remove the inner door panel and kick out the door enough for it to open. Then inspect the door jamb and door sill for damage from the bent door.

I wish you the best of luck.

Believe me, it could have been a whole lot worse.
+Quote Post
levonfarra
post Mar 27 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,521

Thank you everyone for the kind words, and the good advise as always. I feel much better knowing that I should be able to find the correct door.

cheers,

levon
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 27 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #27

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Somebody's got to say it.

That should buff right out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Nice looking car. good luck.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jarclay
post Mar 27 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,694

QUOTE(levonfarra @ Mar 26 2008, 08:42 PM) *

I had my car parked in the street cause I had to take it to work today and some A-hole hit it and ran!

Attached Image

The drivers door is damaged, I can not open the door or roll the window up or down. Nothing else got damaged. I am thinking it was an SUV because the area of impact seems high. I am going to let my auto ins. know tomorrow.

Need some advise:
What are the possibilitis of a body shop finding and installing the correct door for a 73 [door with the newer style window regulator and w/ out the heavy reinforcement bar (what is the range of that by the way?)] or am I better off trying to find one myself. How would that work with insurance? Anyone know of a good body shop in the Los Angeles area that is fimiliar with these cars ? Etc.

thanks for your help,

Levon

Sorry, very sorry. I have been doing the police thing for like 27 years and I see a door in the background of the photo. I would be knocking on every door on either side of the block as I guarentee someone saw this or heard this and looked out a window. It may be someone who frequents that street and the veh. may have been recognized. Makes you afraid to drive anything nice. Best of luck on the repair. jarclay
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 28 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #29

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Your situation is far worse than what we've experienced, Levon, but ever since we started getting some nasty parking lot dings in my wife's white 914, I've been thinking about installing (and marketing) a mobile video system with a 4-camera pod and digital recorder.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Think about it ... front, rear and both sides all recorded on chip media on a 4-channel DVR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

... and, correct me if I'm wrong ... is it politically incorrect to call someone who hits your car, then leaves without fessing up, a 'TOTAL ASSHOLE' ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If so, I apologize ...

Your opinions are welcome ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Mar 28 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 8,861
Region Association: Northern California

I too was hit today by a guy in a truck who ran a red light and then took off before I could come to my senses enough to get a plate. Lost the drivers side fender, head light, turn signal, and driving light...oh and the hood too!...How do I get a Fender?...not flared...just stock...or fiberglass?

I feel your pain man...I really do!
+Quote Post
highways
post Mar 28 2008, 03:14 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 4,296

QUOTE(levonfarra @ Mar 26 2008, 09:42 PM) *

That A-hole probably works on the same street as you. He'll park around the block for the next two or three weeks... but he'll back. In order to start the proper correspondence with him, I'd keep my eyes open for the correct height bumper with your paint on it. Then of course tell him your witnesses saw everything and he'd better settle out of court.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 28 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I
am
SICK!!!!

Paul
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 29 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #33

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(highways @ Mar 28 2008, 01:14 AM) *
That A-hole probably works on the same street as you. He'll park around the block for the next two or three weeks... but he'll back. In order to start the proper correspondence with him, I'd keep my eyes open for the correct height bumper with your paint on it. Then of course tell him your witnesses saw everything and he'd better settle out of court.

... and 6 months later, you can ice-pick all 4 of his/her tires just above the bead in the sidewalls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

You know what would really be the shits though ... if you found out it was your boss (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) ... or some chick at work that you've really been wanting to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:35 PM