Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3D914s 914-6 SHO 3.2L v6, Build Thread - Project for sale. See classifieds
3d914
post Sep 15 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mike, is there that much adjustment in the plate?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bryanc
post Sep 16 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 2,495

Hi Gerard!

Good to see progress on this project!

+Quote Post
3d914
post Sep 19 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #123

Hey Bryan,

Looks like you've been about as scarce as I've been. What's new?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Sep 24 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #124

Well a not so unexpected Surprise today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I thought I would remove at least the floor pan rubber under the seats since I'm fabbing new mounts for 944 seats; only to find . . .

Attached Image

Bummer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Appears to only be surface rust, but now I'll have to remove all of it to make sure I don't have any through holes.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Sep 24 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #125

Also worked on the door jam today. I removed the strike plate and there doesn't appear to be any movement possible for the mounting screws of the plate or for the strike.

Mike was your thought that I make my own adjustment, or should there be some factory adjustment there?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
70_914
post Sep 25 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A couple things, from a SHO owner standpoint.

1. Are you using the 3.2 or the 3.0 oil pan? They are shaped differently, and the 3.0 pan may give you more clearance.

2. You do know that the intake can go on either way, right? One way might work easier for plumbing than the other.

3. Please stop calling it a Ford engine. It is a work of art made by Yamaha and installed into a Ford vehicle...

Keep it coming, it looks good so far!
+Quote Post
swl
post Sep 25 2011, 05:29 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 24 2011, 05:26 PM) *

I thought I would remove at least the floor pan rubber under the seats since I'm fabbing new mounts for 944 seats; only to find . . .

Attached Image

Appears to only be surface rust, but now I'll have to remove all of it to make sure I don't have any through holes.

Thats not rust. That's a slight discoloration.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Sep 25 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(swl @ Sep 25 2011, 06:29 AM) *

QUOTE(3d914 @ Sep 24 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Attached Image

Thats not rust. That's a slight discoloration.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I have seen a lot worse.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Oct 2 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #129

Well, let me pull off some more floor pan rubber and we just might!

Got the door latch plate figured out - speaking of rust - it appears that the receiver plate on the drivers side is rusted to the sheet metal and not moving as it should. I'll drill out the spot weld and remove it and see how it looks.

Kevin, its the 3.2 block and pan. No gains from intake shifting since I'm going longitudinal install. And I like the feathers it ruffles when I call it a Ford engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 2 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #130

I've been considering my install options for the radiator. The stock SHO radiator will fit with no problems, and I can mount in the front trunk of the 914 as do the subi & V8 guys. However, the main draw-back is routing the coolant hoses back to the engine (behind the driver) and venting the heated air out of the front trunk. I really don't like hacking big sections out the wheel wells to vent air. Better, but still not ideal, is venting through the hood.

As an alternative I've been considering a couple different paths:
  1. Mount two 8"x18" radiators in the fender wells, and a third under the rear trunk on the drivers side.
  2. Mount two larger 11"x20" under the trunk on both sides.

Option 1 would require an air inlet vent on each side, fabbed out of fiberglass, with metal or FG housing to direct the air into the radiators. The third radiator would simply draw air from the engine bay & under the car and vent back out the rear. The side vents would add a certain "coolness" factor since the car has flares.
Here's some sample radiators.
Attached Image

Option 2 would be the most stealthy. I know guys who have mounted oil coolers this size with fans, so I'm reasonably confident this could work. Another option on the location would be up next to the firewall, but laying almost flat - drawing air up from underneath the car and venting up.
Larger one.
Attached Image

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 2 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #131

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I would like to see a cooling system work in the rear. I would love to have a front trunk!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 3 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #132

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Whats the volume of the stock radiator? Whats the volume of each small radiator?

Here is what I would do.

Start with the radiator that lays flat and then warm up the car and let it idle on the street mid day. Watch the temp. If normal operating temp is 190 and 225 is overheating see if it goes over 200. If not then take the car on the road and see if it can keep it cool at speed (since you dont have any air being forced through the radiator).

If it doesnt hold its on at speed but its good at idle, add one of the small side radiators in the fender (or both) and then do the same test. The problem is those little radiators dont have much volume. I think you should step your game up and get a couple of honda half radiators. They would cool much better than the tiny piping in the motorcycle radiators.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 3 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #133

The stock core is single-core/single-pass, and covers 360 in.sq. I would configure the smaller sets to be just over that, say 380+.

I think the rear option - between the engine and side of bay - looks promising. Two half-sized radiators, pulling air up from underneath and venting in the engine bay. Appeals to me more than hacking the front trunk & bumpers.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 3 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #134

Spooling.... Please wait

Its not surface area, its volume and surface area, you need to have as much volume and surface area in your system to make it work (Combined with airflow...)

Thats why those motorcycle radiators just wont work. Their inlets are TINY.

+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 6 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #135

Andrew - I hear what your saying, but if the core tubing is the same diameter, and covers the equivalent surface area - you are getting the same volume. Agreed the MC radiators probably don't flow the same volume, that's why I somewhat prefer the larger ones for option 2. Also I don't add more body work - adding side scoops.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 9 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #136

OK here's my first mockup for the mini-radiators. These are 11x14.38x2" dual-core, with fans mounted on the back side. In this configuration they would mount on the engine bar with a floating frame. This way the engine and radiators would be removed together when dropping the engine out for service.

Attached Image

From the side you can see that the exhaust will drop down near the back third of the radiator. The exhaust manifold has heat shields added to it since on the stock config one manifold is less than an inch from the radiator fan.

Attached Image

From the back, the radiators will sit just inside the motor mount frame with plenty of clearance for exhaust pipes.

Thoughts?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 10 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #137

Spooling.... Please wait

I think it will work. Heat shields will be mandatory though. There is some neat stuff used by the turbo guys for when their intake is on the same side as their turbo. A very trick insulation.

You'll need to figure something to increase airflow to the radiators at speed. Scoops or something.
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 10 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

It's going to be tricky to determine if your proposed configuration will realize a pressure differential at speed. No pressure differential and you'll get no flow through the radiators. Fans are ok for standing still or moving very slowly, but it's what happens over 25 or 30 MPH that's key.

Andys
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 11 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #139

With all the air flow under the car I would think there would be sufficient - but as you say the trick will be getting it directed to the radiators. The stock air deflectors might be helpful in disrupting the high pressure air underneath and allowing it to be drawn into the engine bay.

Being somewhat close to the firewall, it wouldn't be difficult to construct some custom fg scoop/ducting to enclose them. Again I could drop down at least as far as the stock deflector to scoop air - without worrying about them getting torn up.

I was also thinking about positioning them farther back, just behind the drive shafts & below the trunk. I think this position would be more difficult to direct air directly into though.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 11 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #140

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(3d914 @ Nov 11 2011, 03:30 PM) *
With all the air flow under the car I would think there would be sufficient - but as you say the trick will be getting it directed to the radiators. The stock air deflectors might be helpful in disrupting the high pressure air underneath and allowing it to be drawn into the engine bay.

I'm pretty sure with the air deflectors, the pressure would be going the opposite way. The deflectors help drawing air away from the engine compartment, not into it.

Unless you have some scoops under then car, your airflow would have to be reversed. Meaning the fans should suck air from the top through the radiators.

Either way, I'm not sure you'll get enough pressure differential for some good air-flow.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:18 PM