Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3D914s 914-6 SHO 3.2L v6, Build Thread - Project for sale. See classifieds
3d914
post May 8 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #461

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bryanc @ Apr 25 2016, 09:54 PM) *

Gerard, some technical reference if you need:

Bryan, nice to hear from you. I saw this on Jay Leno's channel on YouTube. Was even considering once to name my project ShoGun2 - but since the first one didn't really take off, thought that might no be the smartest choice. Awesome car though - would love to take it for a spin on the track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3d914
post May 8 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #462

Haven't been spending time on the 914-SHO for over 6 weeks. Been going through some tough stuff with my brother, but I think we got him through it. My son was home on leave so spending this weekend with family. Got some time planned for next week and the weekend though. Keep watching.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 5 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #463

I know I haven't been on in a while. After getting my brother squared away, I was having difficulty getting back to the 914. My garage had become unmanageable, so I did what I thought I'd never do - buy a shed.

Attached Image

Well this is more like a small barn - 10x16 and lofted so that it has storage under the roof. Once I put my son's 914 in I built another loft a few feet lower - giving me more storage space that was easier to access.

Attached Image

And just when I was ready to get back to the 914, my LS400 starter took a crap. SO while I'm in there, I'm going to do a 150K mile service on it first.

So nice to have my garage back though.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 9 2016, 04:36 PM
Post #464

Made some progress this morning before it got too hot. Got the side pieces for the rear firewall extension fit, trimmed, and bent.

Attached Image

The sides have 90deg tabs front & back to reinforce the extension. I'll also be adding a tab at the bottom. What remains is to add the L-shaped piece (seen on the center extension) at the top where the molding is mounted. The trunk will also get the rib added so the molding fits properly.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jul 10 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #465

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

QUOTE(3d914 @ Jul 6 2016, 04:04 AM) *

I did what I thought I'd never do - buy a shed.
Well this is more like a small barn - 10x16 and lofted so that it has storage under the roof.

WOW, thats a shed?

It's 25% bigger than my UK garage!
I wish I'd got that amount of space to work on my 914. I can't even open my 914 doors in my 8x16 garage.

Looks really great and very well built, love the storage space above too. Very nice.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 10 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #466

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 10 2016, 12:20 AM) *

WOW, thats a shed?

It's 25% bigger than my UK garage!
I wish I'd got that amount of space to work on my 914. I can't even open my 914 doors in my 8x16 garage.

Looks really great and very well built, love the storage space above too. Very nice.

Thanks, Darren. Yep, that's what goes for a shed over here. In fact I believe that would be considered mid-sized. Some are garage-sized, others are small 8x8x7ft high.

Do you have to work on your 914 outside then?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 10 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #467

Another hot day, but I was able to get the firewall insert mostly roughed out. Still have a bunch of welding to do on the parts and to put it in. Here's the hole with the motor in so you can see what's getting closed up.

Attached Image

Here's the parts spot welded together.

Attached Image

Left and right installed temporarily.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Tried to take a pic with the front camera, but not very good. Will get a better one later.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 10 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #468

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Your new firewall looks awesome!!! It really looks just like a factory piece; very nice!
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jul 11 2016, 02:15 AM
Post #469

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

QUOTE(3d914 @ Jul 11 2016, 03:36 AM) *

Thanks, Darren. Yep, that's what goes for a shed over here. In fact I believe that would be considered mid-sized. Some are garage-sized, others are small 8x8x7ft high.

Do you have to work on your 914 outside then?

If I want to open the doors then yes! Otherwise I’ve become something of a contortionist squeezing down the sides and under My 914. I have no power or light, so depending on the weather (which has seen the wettest June in a long while, and the garage flooding each day) I have to push the car outside each time I want to work on it which makes for hard work in this Build off Challenge. I know the USA has a reputation for everything being bigger, but here in UK an average shed from the hardware store is 6 x 4. Modern Houses and Garage size here are a real joke. With most barely 16 x 8 with a 7’ wide door, and cars getting bigger, the minute you put a bicycle, washing machine or vacuum cleaner in it the car wont fit and you have to climb out the sunroof.
Anyway less of that….your bulkhead looks great!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #470

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Like your insulated garage door. A necessity where you live, huh? I clocked a 50 degree difference between O/I surfaces w/ an IR gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 11 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #471

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure how this was gonna come out. But I've found that doing stuff on the bench yields better results than trying to do it on the car.

Got to spend a couple hours doing some of the finish welding and cleanup. I'm anxious to get it welded in place, but need to do more finish work before that happens. Once it's in I can move on to getting the rest of the body ready for primer & paint.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 11 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #472

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2016, 06:49 AM) *

Like your insulated garage door. A necessity where you live, huh? I clocked a 50 degree difference between O/I surfaces w/ an IR gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

76, I've not measured it, but I can feel a big difference. Door faces east, so opening it only a few feet in the mornings for light keeps it from getting too hot also.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 11 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #473

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like fantastic metal work! You going to notch your top as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 12 2016, 06:40 AM
Post #474

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Wow that is a big engine! Looked so much smaller out of the car. Cool.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 15 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #475

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 11 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Looks like fantastic metal work! You going to notch your top as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Andrew, I'm still undecided about the top. Going to either go with a soft top that will be smaller to store, or I've even thought about making a two-piece top. So many higher-priority issues - I haven't thought it out fully.

95% of the time in my last 914, which was driven in Phoenix, I went without the top. I used a custom cockpit cover to shade the interior when parked, so the top was always in the trunk. It's cooler out where we're at now, so may not need the top at all except to take trips.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 15 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #476

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 12 2016, 05:40 AM) *

Wow that is a big engine! Looked so much smaller out of the car. Cool.

Rick, yeh it is. I really like it though. The intake runners and chamber are huge, but the effect is equally cool. Should look killer under the black wire mesh engine lid. I'm expanding mine to increase cooling - but differently than the GT. I know there's any earlier post where I was mocking one up.

Thanks for the feedback.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Aug 7 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #477

Haven't spent much time on the 914. Spent a couple weekends with my son home working on his bike & his 996. Mostly been working on concreting posts in between all the rain, and finishing up work on the LS400.

The LS400 turned into one of those - while I'm in there . . . jobs. Started with a failed starter, then a dripping water pump, stuck fan clutch, and a leaking power steering pump. Water pump is off and power steering pump has been resealed and haven't even gotten to the starter yet - which just happens to be buried at the back of the top of the motor underneath all the intake stuff.

Gotta love it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 8 2016, 04:33 AM
Post #478

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(3d914 @ May 8 2016, 05:28 PM) *

Bryan, nice to hear from you. I saw this on Jay Leno's channel on YouTube. Was even considering once to name my project ShoGun2 - but since the first one didn't really take off, thought that might no be the smartest choice. Awesome car though - would love to take it for a spin on the track.

The SHOguns where never meant to be more than a coach built car. Originally they where only going to build two of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) They would go to the Ford Dealer purchase and SHO and a Festiva. Mate the two, take the SHO body drop a run of the mill V6 into it, and sell it. Then box flare the Festiva and sell them. Beck was the creator of this little monster, and more than likely sold as many as he wanted to sell. Been hard to sell 1000s of them due to the logistics of multiple car purchases, etc.... Thats how I remember the story going down. Details might be a bit fuzzy, as it was a long time ago, and I got it second hand from a friend of Randy Beck.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Sep 5 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #479

Thanks for the detail Stephen. Here's vid with one On Leno's Garage.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Sep 5 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #480

Finally took some time on this three-day weekend to work on the 914-SHO. Spent a couple of days finishing up a fish tank stand for my daughter.

Attached Image

It was my plans to get the 914 into paint by now, but other priorities pushed it back. I did however get around to getting part of the underside in primer. Now I feel a little bit better. Hope to finish up the front this week. Got some metal cleanup to finish before primer.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:31 AM