Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tangerine Evolution, or at least some reference of changes
G e o r g e
post Apr 9 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Dr

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

Chris

What are the differences between this exhaust and your current setup

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 9 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I see at least 4...

They are significant too....

Chris can explain! We have done LOTS of tuning on the system in the past couple of years.
+Quote Post
ericread
post Apr 9 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #3

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 9 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #4

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

The system shown is my first generation product. The design comes from Garretson in CA, was first produced in the '80s, and is intended for engines operating up to 8000 rpm.
I struggled with the difficulties of making the primaries equal length, and as short as the engineering criteria provided to me specified. The breakthrough came when I redesigned the collectors to a splayed inlet instead of a parallel inlet, which allowed me to get all 4 primaries within 1/2" of the design parameters. I have been told by a PhD aerospace engineer that my collectors are probably more efficient as well.
At the same time as I reconfigured the header I came up with a single muffler for street applications that incorporates sound reduction features of both the silencers shown. The new silencer exits in the stock location instead of the opposite side, and the EVO II silencers are 100% stainless instead of a mix of mild and stainless steels. The Phase 9 and Quiet Can shown are coated with the same high temp product as the header to make up for the non-stainless composition.
Recently I made upgrades to the stub pipes in an effort to reduce the likelihood of cracks forming in the tube around the mounting tabs. The stubs shown are made of T304 stainless tubing with mild steel tabs. My new stubs are T321 high temp stainless with T304 mounting tabs. The shape of the tabs is also changed slightly. They now have a slot instead of a hole so the stubs can be more precisely aligned with the exhaust port on the head and bent studs are less of a problem for mounting.
The latest change I made is the introduction of a street length header after Jake's dyno research indicated that longer primaries would be better on engines with peak power below 6500 rpm. I now offer both race length and street length headers. The primaries are 3+ inches longer on the street header.

The Super Header shown is capable of supporting the same general displacement and engine output as my 1 5/8" EVO header. The EVO header will provide higher peak power due to more precisely controlled primary lengths, but the difference is not as dramatic as the difference from other commonly available exhaust systems.

The replacement cost for that header, with heat exchanger, is $2390. It is a steal at anything less than $1800.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Apr 9 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #5

Dr

Thanks for the info Chris
+Quote Post
jasons
post Apr 9 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Were you the winner of that bird board deal?
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Apr 9 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Dr

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) who me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

where you the guy trying to snipe it out from beneath me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Apr 9 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 05:40 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) who me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

where you the guy trying to snipe it out from beneath me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well, I was the first person to reply to the thread. I guess my reply was too late. Just as well, I didn't need to spend the money. That was a GREAT deal.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Apr 9 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #9

Dr

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 9 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Well, I was the first person to reply to the thread. I guess my reply was too late. Just as well, I didn't need to spend the money. That was a GREAT deal.

I had emailed him the night before you posted to his thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Apr 9 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #10

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 06:23 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 9 2008, 06:12 PM) *

I had emailed him the night before you posted to his thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Congrats! When I posted, I figured I was already too late.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 9 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #11

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 08:40 PM) *

That would be me....
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Apr 9 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #12

Dr

Fair enough

You get a pass because of your last name (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

ups says it's on my porch as we speak

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:00 AM