Full Version: Tangerine Evolution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
Chris

What are the differences between this exhaust and your current setup
Jake Raby
I see at least 4...

They are significant too....

Chris can explain! We have done LOTS of tuning on the system in the past couple of years.
ericread
popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
The system shown is my first generation product. The design comes from Garretson in CA, was first produced in the '80s, and is intended for engines operating up to 8000 rpm.
I struggled with the difficulties of making the primaries equal length, and as short as the engineering criteria provided to me specified. The breakthrough came when I redesigned the collectors to a splayed inlet instead of a parallel inlet, which allowed me to get all 4 primaries within 1/2" of the design parameters. I have been told by a PhD aerospace engineer that my collectors are probably more efficient as well.
At the same time as I reconfigured the header I came up with a single muffler for street applications that incorporates sound reduction features of both the silencers shown. The new silencer exits in the stock location instead of the opposite side, and the EVO II silencers are 100% stainless instead of a mix of mild and stainless steels. The Phase 9 and Quiet Can shown are coated with the same high temp product as the header to make up for the non-stainless composition.
Recently I made upgrades to the stub pipes in an effort to reduce the likelihood of cracks forming in the tube around the mounting tabs. The stubs shown are made of T304 stainless tubing with mild steel tabs. My new stubs are T321 high temp stainless with T304 mounting tabs. The shape of the tabs is also changed slightly. They now have a slot instead of a hole so the stubs can be more precisely aligned with the exhaust port on the head and bent studs are less of a problem for mounting.
The latest change I made is the introduction of a street length header after Jake's dyno research indicated that longer primaries would be better on engines with peak power below 6500 rpm. I now offer both race length and street length headers. The primaries are 3+ inches longer on the street header.

The Super Header shown is capable of supporting the same general displacement and engine output as my 1 5/8" EVO header. The EVO header will provide higher peak power due to more precisely controlled primary lengths, but the difference is not as dramatic as the difference from other commonly available exhaust systems.

The replacement cost for that header, with heat exchanger, is $2390. It is a steal at anything less than $1800.
G e o r g e
Thanks for the info Chris
jasons
Were you the winner of that bird board deal?
G e o r g e
hide.gif who me? hide.gif

where you the guy trying to snipe it out from beneath me biggrin.gif
jasons
QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Well, I was the first person to reply to the thread. I guess my reply was too late. Just as well, I didn't need to spend the money. That was a GREAT deal.
G e o r g e
hijacked.gif

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 9 2008, 06:12 PM) *

Well, I was the first person to reply to the thread. I guess my reply was too late. Just as well, I didn't need to spend the money. That was a GREAT deal.

I had emailed him the night before you posted to his thread happy11.gif
jasons
QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 06:23 PM) *

hijacked.gif

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 9 2008, 06:12 PM) *

I had emailed him the night before you posted to his thread happy11.gif

Congrats! When I posted, I figured I was already too late.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(George H. @ Apr 9 2008, 08:40 PM) *

That would be me....
G e o r g e
Fair enough

You get a pass because of your last name beerchug.gif

ups says it's on my porch as we speak

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.