Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V « < 52 53 54 55 56 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doc's tranny waggin'
Dr Evil
post Mar 13 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #1061

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The roller rockers arrived on Fri. They are pretty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have been researching spark plugs and found that the ones to use are not generally available (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Not only that, but the Autolite 425 ones that I did use are generally regarded as crap. I have e feeling that the plugs contributed to the carbon buildup as much as the fuel.

If you consider it ran pretty well when it was not tuned, it should be amazing when it is sorted out.

I plan on CCing the heads next so I can see what my CR will be/what shims I need. I also have the pushrod geometry kit to play with once the heads are on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 19 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #1062

Some more engine talk:

I think I may have set up the previous configuration for failure. I was interested in keeping temps down and allowing the engine to run on low octane. So, after looking into VW setups I set the CR to 7.3:1. I have now found that the CR for the stock 140 is 9.25:1.

My current CC profile of the 140 head is looking like 56-60. I need to do some verifying.

Current deck height is listed as .138 and I was using a .04 gasket. If I have the barrels dropped so that the pistons are flush with the barrel tops, and use a .027 gasket I can get 9:1. That will be a nice bump with the rest of the mods.

Now I need to wait to have the barrels done....patience....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 19 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #1063

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Chevrolets like compression. My 928 engine stock is 10:1 with CIS. You will be happier soon.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 12 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #1064

Geez, I am hitting snags left and right with this engine.

In Harrisburg, there is a shop that did the original specialty work for me called Feazers. Out here in the West of PA, I am not finding anyone who is willing to work on corvair/VW stuff. Many say, "uh, I really dont want to get into something like that."

I just started looking for my own damn vertical mill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

What I am trying to do:

Previous iteration of the engine had the deck at .138 with .04 head gasket and 48cc (IIRC on this number). The CR was about 7.3:1 and was pathetic. So, I am looking to cut the top of the cylinders by .135, and fly cut the step in the chamber flush with the quench area. Then, I will have a deck height of .003, gasket of .04 and will be shooting for 60cc chambers (currently 54) by unshrouding the valves. This should give me 9:1 CR. I will polish and smooth the chambers as well.

All I need a shop to do is the fly-cutting and barrel shortening (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I do have a lead on a place about 15mi from me, in the boonies, but they are not answering their phone and I have limited time off to play with this stuff. I wanted to drop it off at a machinest today and be rid of the parts for a while, but that just aint in the cards.

The first shop I went to didnt even have a vertical mill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 12 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #1065

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I know it's not that close but what about KRE? http://kawellracing.com/
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 12 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #1066

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hey Doc, Try to fine out who does motorcycle work around you. They will be your local source for custom cylinder heights and fly cutting heads.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 12 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #1067

So here is how the progression of things went today:

Went to PMO, a machine shop that did a flywheel for a friend of mine. They could not do the work because they had no vertical mill. Randall, the guy there, referred me to Warren. Warren is a corvair guy with connections.

Warren referred me to Bob Bongiorni. Bob is probably one of the coolest humans, EVER! He owns a machine shop in the middle of now where, has CNC, mills, you name it, all in a large building. He has two fuselages on one side of the shop. They are KR-2s and are to be powered by.......corvair engines! He and I talked for 2 hours. He is into everything from engines, to experimental aircraft, to fringe scientific doo-dads like hydrodynamic heaters, hydrogen fuel cells, some sort of fuel thermal reaction unit. A real tinkerer. I like him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, he looks at my stuff and says, no prob.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 14 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #1068

Well, I am getting that about to be screwed feeling again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I surrendered my $1500 heads and my $1000 cylinders over to this guy out in the boonies that had a loyal following. This was in April (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It is not 3 months later and he still has not gotten them done. If this was the only issue, I would not be whining, but it is not.

Shortly after I gave him the parts, he turned his phone off. He is planning on moving to SC eventually and is trying to finish things up before a huge move of his huge shop.

I could drop buy and visit with him randomly so I was not worried and figured I would give him more time (I was not in a hurry). Well, now I have been to his place 3 times in the last 2 weeks and he has not been around. This is how he does business as I had another old-timer stop buy to see if he was in while I was writing a not for him.

This is where I get more concerned. I wrote a nice letter asking him to call me so I can schedule a time for pickup of my stuff. Scotty B has a friend that can do it, and faster. I plan to go to Scotty's shop this weekend so I am trying to get my stuff to bring it instead of shipping it. I said so on the note, taped it to his door on Tues.

Today, the not is gone and I have received no call. I left another note pleading that he call me as I need my parts by tomorrow. I have little faith that such will happen.

I am starting to think about my recourse. When should I involve low enforcement? I actually like this guy, but he needs to get his shit together.

Why do I trust people? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jul 14 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #1069

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

so, whats his name and address of the shop?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

that does suck
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 14 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #1070

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 14 2011, 01:47 PM) *

Well, I am getting that about to be screwed feeling again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I surrendered my $1500 heads and my $1000 cylinders over to this guy out in the boonies that had a loyal following. This was in April (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It is not 3 months later and he still has not gotten them done. If this was the only issue, I would not be whining, but it is not.

Shortly after I gave him the parts, he turned his phone off. He is planning on moving to SC eventually and is trying to finish things up before a huge move of his huge shop.

I could drop buy and visit with him randomly so I was not worried and figured I would give him more time (I was not in a hurry). Well, now I have been to his place 3 times in the last 2 weeks and he has not been around. This is how he does business as I had another old-timer stop buy to see if he was in while I was writing a not for him.

This is where I get more concerned. I wrote a nice letter asking him to call me so I can schedule a time for pickup of my stuff. Scotty B has a friend that can do it, and faster. I plan to go to Scotty's shop this weekend so I am trying to get my stuff to bring it instead of shipping it. I said so on the note, taped it to his door on Tues.

Today, the not is gone and I have received no call. I left another note pleading that he call me as I need my parts by tomorrow. I have little faith that such will happen.

I am starting to think about my recourse. When should I involve low enforcement? I actually like this guy, but he needs to get his shit together.

Why do I trust people? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) THat sucks. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 14 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #1071

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I just got home with the parts! His partner called and said he was out of town. I told him I would be there in 30min. He actually got to my heads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Phew, that was too uncomfortable.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 14 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #1072

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

<golf clap>
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 14 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #1073

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

"Ah yes, the old Rimco ploy." Inspector Clouseau
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 14 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #1074

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Had I been following this thread, I would have repeated my recommendation for Engine Machine Service in Los Angeles. I know they're across the country from you, but they're also as close as the big brown truck. It happens that they're kinda the go-to guys for Corvair machine work and they used to do a lot of it. Now they're the world headquarters for Fiat 8V motors, but they'll get all of those done one of these days and move on to other interesting stuff.

Glad you got the problem solved! The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 20 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #1075

I started unshrouding the valves in my heads and will CC them once I polish them up a bit.

I found a shop to finish up my barrels so I can start assembling this dang thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 23 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #1076

Had a good day working on stuff. I got one head basically done. I managed to get them flycut so that there is no step for the sealing surface. This helped bump up the CR closer to what I was looking for. I then removed material from around the valves (unshrouding). This will allow the heads to breath better: bigger valves, bigger ports, and unshrouding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I also changed over to stainless valves since I could get the easier than the stockers and they are not expensive.

I polished the chambers up a bit, but I can see that shining them is not gonna happen as it is way too much work and not really necessary for my application.

I CCed the head and all chambers are at 50cc which is perfect. I have calculated what needs to be removed from the cylinders and can now tell the shop next week to get things moving further along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Before:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 23 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #1077

All I have is a cell phone, the wife took the camera to England with her.

After:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
type47
post Jul 24 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #1078

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

Are there going to be any problems with the holes for the head studs open into the ... not combustion chamber 'cause the cylinders will seal against the head ... where the circumference of the opening for the cylinder intersects the hole for the head stud (best I can describe it w/decaf). But then again, the hole for the stud will also be sealed at the case and by the washer and nut at the head end.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jul 24 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #1079

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2501895129.html
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 24 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #1080

QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 24 2011, 08:17 AM) *

Are there going to be any problems with the holes for the head studs open into the ... not combustion chamber 'cause the cylinders will seal against the head ... where the circumference of the opening for the cylinder intersects the hole for the head stud (best I can describe it w/decaf). But then again, the hole for the stud will also be sealed at the case and by the washer and nut at the head end.

No. I already ran heads like this, with the holes you mention, and it is a proven design. The cylinders seal against the surface, not the sides.
+Quote Post

85 Pages V « < 52 53 54 55 56 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:30 PM