Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V « < 83 84 85  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Doc's tranny waggin'
Dr Evil
post Aug 17 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #1681

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 17 2018, 04:04 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

SVX engine in a bus rocks! Will the VW AT hold up to the hp and torque? What about the gearing? When I converted the syncro mt in my Westy, I went taller in both 3rd and 4th to take advantage of the power. Very glad i did that.

The trany should be fine. The VW does have a 3 geared planetary and I wanted to source a auto section from an Audi 5000T as it has a 4 geared planetary that just swaps in, and some other good stuff. The price of the rebuilt box was too good to pass up and I havent found an Audi box yet. As for the gearing, I had wondered about that as well, but I do have a lifted bus with wider wheels so I am hoping that will help. Maybe I will get board and go standard some day. Probably not.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 2 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #1682

Closer. Heart of the beast is now in my shop on a stand. I can’t touch it until I finish my current back log of transmission work. The conversion kit arrived this Sat. Pics to come. Just finished the wall and some electrical so I can have a shop to work in at new house. Still need to install the mini split.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 2 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #1683

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Very cool engine choice!

John
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 2 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #1684

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You won't regret going with a Suby 6 although my preference is the newer series. Regardless, it will be a quantum leap in power and reliability. I passed one on the Ortega hi way once we hit a straight bit of road. I eased around thinking it was a stock van when he punched it which caught me by surprise. I put my foot into it then shot around him and from the look on his face he had believed a stock 914 was attempting to pass him. I think we were both surprised. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Dec 4 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #1685

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

We had an SVX and it was a blast to drive. I can't imagine that in a 914...

I seem to remember that 3200 was 100mph.

The timing belt was recommended to be changed somewhere around 60>75k
easier to do it with the engine out and on the stand.

Spark plugs were also a bitch to change in that car.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 4 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #1686

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

$500 for a car with a running engine. $200 for an MT5 out of a totaled bug eye. Normal part prices for all the other stuff. Can’t beat it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 4 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #1687

Engine cost me $400. A good deal for what I got. Plan is to do at least a top end, but may go deeper depending on availability, need, cost of parts. The kit to mount it into the bus showed up this weekend. Worth the money. Now I need to finish building my garage shop and the transmissions lined up. Hope is to drive this to Mid OH in July with a completed BMW project. Aspirations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 4 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #1688

Consequently, anyone with a line on an audi 5000T transmission, I want some of the guts. I have a rebuilt VW auto that will be used with this, not sure ifninternals were beefed up or not.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 4 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #1689

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 4 2018, 12:43 PM) *

Engine cost me $400. A good deal for what I got. Plan is to do at least a top end, but may go deeper depending on availability, need, cost of parts. The kit to mount it into the bus showed up this weekend. Worth the money. Now I need to finish building my garage shop and the transmissions lined up. Hope is to drive this to Mid OH in July with a completed BMW project. Aspirations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That's a good deal. Did you get the wiring harness/ECU by chance or are you going aftermarket? There are a number of EG33 conversions on The Samba for Vanagons
which might give you some ideas...this one is REALLY detailed:

SVX Vanagon

Also check out the Busaru Youtube channel. He's done a ton of conversions including a belly pan style radiator that looks like it works pretty well (laying flat underneath the bus)

Busaru

PM me if you need any help. I think I have the wiring pinouts memorized (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
crash914
post Dec 4 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #1690

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

forget the car, post pictures of the mini split....
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 5 2018, 01:13 PM
Post #1691

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 4 2018, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 4 2018, 12:43 PM) *

That's a good deal. Did you get the wiring harness/ECU by chance or are you going aftermarket? There are a number of EG33 conversions on The Samba for Vanagons
which might give you some ideas...this one is REALLY detailed:

SVX Vanagon

Also check out the Busaru Youtube channel. He's done a ton of conversions including a belly pan style radiator that looks like it works pretty well (laying flat underneath the bus)

Busaru

PM me if you need any help. I think I have the wiring pinouts memorized (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

I decided to enjoy a time in my life when I have more money than time, so I bought a full conversion kit from David White at SubiSwaps in El Cajon, CA. Super nice guy and the kit is complete including heater. All arrived, I have t had time to get it completely evaluated. It comes with the wiring harness. It comes with ECU, too.
https://www.subiswaps.com/product-page/suba...it-yourself-kit
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 6 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #1692

Interesting...that's one offer I was not aware of. Definitely worth the $ to have everything you need.

Anyone who has done a conversion knows this quote from the website is 100% true:

"This kit will save you at least 200 hours of trying to figure out what works and what doesn't."
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 24 2019, 01:49 PM
Post #1693

So, I recon an update is to be made. I paid the money to SubiSwaps for the kit to drop in the SVX motor. I paid last Dec, got some boxes of stuff, nothing to spectacular, the big ticket special items were pending like the brain, harness, and exhaust. Next thing I know, no answers. Trying weekly. Then I get an email about a month ago that they are going out of business by Dec. A little panicked. Dave White, the owner, seemed like a stand up guy and the email said that all customers that paid will have their orders satisfied. It was a group message, tho. Here is to hoping he stays a stand up guy and I get the parts I really need and not the stuff I could have easily sourced myself, only.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Oct 25 2019, 05:24 AM
Post #1694

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

That was almost a year ago! You should have received your complete order by now. get on the horn!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 25 2019, 07:56 AM
Post #1695

Bummer.....FYI just in case, I have a couple of extra ECUs, and I MIGHT know where to find a complete SVX wiring harness. It's been about a year but the guy might still have it. The exhaust is pretty easy to figure out. Do you happen to know what parts you DID get? Adapter plates, engine mounts, etc?
+Quote Post

85 Pages V « < 83 84 85
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:54 PM