Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And if you look to your left, you will see the "Moronic Mechanic&, He only pretends to know what he's doing... and that gets him by
dbgriffith75
post Apr 12 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #1

TheGrif

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah, so, here's a good one:

After it was split and the components removed, I took the two halves of the crankcase (75 2.0) in to have them boiled clean. They looked real nice after I got them back and I was oober excited about finally getting the engine put back together. So this morning I'm taking care of some of the little BS work, when it occurs to me that I never inspected the oil pressure relief valve. So I flip the motor on my engine stand, remove the plug and spring, shine my work light down into the bore and... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It hits me like my ex-wife used to... idiot, you never removed the valve before taking it in to be boiled!

So now, the valve is stuck- I mean REALLY stuck- in the bore. I've tried using a hammer and punch to tap it loose but to no avail. I tried using my torch to transfer heat through the casting, but since I've already attached the oil filter flange, the flame wants to smolder the gasket down to nothing. So now I'm at a loss as to what might work to get it out of there. My book says to lightly screw a 3/8" tap into the hollow of the valve and pull it loose, but I'm assuming that's only when you haven't let it get boiled and I don't want to risk damaging it or the walls of the bore.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
-Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Apr 12 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,167

there may be lye and other salts dried up in there. they probably won't melt before the aluminum does, but they are water soluble, so that would be my strategy. if all else fails, bring it back to the boiler, dunk it, and then try to withdraw the piston before it cools and dries. good luck
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 12 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

After or before the above tries you might try Kroil penetrant. Good luck,
Charliew
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:58 PM