Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And if you look to your left, you will see the "Moronic Mechanic&
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
Yeah, so, here's a good one:

After it was split and the components removed, I took the two halves of the crankcase (75 2.0) in to have them boiled clean. They looked real nice after I got them back and I was oober excited about finally getting the engine put back together. So this morning I'm taking care of some of the little BS work, when it occurs to me that I never inspected the oil pressure relief valve. So I flip the motor on my engine stand, remove the plug and spring, shine my work light down into the bore and... headbang.gif It hits me like my ex-wife used to... idiot, you never removed the valve before taking it in to be boiled!

So now, the valve is stuck- I mean REALLY stuck- in the bore. I've tried using a hammer and punch to tap it loose but to no avail. I tried using my torch to transfer heat through the casting, but since I've already attached the oil filter flange, the flame wants to smolder the gasket down to nothing. So now I'm at a loss as to what might work to get it out of there. My book says to lightly screw a 3/8" tap into the hollow of the valve and pull it loose, but I'm assuming that's only when you haven't let it get boiled and I don't want to risk damaging it or the walls of the bore.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
-Brian
brp986s
there may be lye and other salts dried up in there. they probably won't melt before the aluminum does, but they are water soluble, so that would be my strategy. if all else fails, bring it back to the boiler, dunk it, and then try to withdraw the piston before it cools and dries. good luck
charliew
After or before the above tries you might try Kroil penetrant. Good luck,
Charliew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.