Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Real One For Ya, Straight from the doctor me thinks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 1 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #141

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ericread @ May 1 2008, 01:55 PM) *

As I see it:

1. Person brings car into shop.
2. Shop has questions regarding legal ownership, calls police.
3. Police find reasonable cause to impound car.
4. Original possessor of the car (the one who brought it into the shop) was unable to provide police with a good enough story or documentation to make claim to the car.
5. Police were unable to find rightful owner of car.
6. Police auction car.
7. Repair shop wins car at auction.

It's doubtful that the police and AA teamed up to steal this car from the original possessor. Many shops, upon finding questionable vehicle ID, may call police to protect themselves from liability. I was told of a person that brought his teener to a shop in SOCAL that was owned by a LAPD (or some such agency) officer. Upon looking at the reg numbers, the shop (police person) discovered the car had been reported stolen. The guy that brought the teener in lost the car, as it was not rightfully (in the eyes of the law) his.

Not fun. Not good for the person bringing the teener to the shop. But it is what it is.

My only criticism is the appearance of the "bragging" that AA got such a good deal on the car. AA may have done well financially, and may have acted in a moral and legal way, but the bragging in the article was a bit over the top.

Anyway, my $.02. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

insurance company recovers the car long stolen from the owner
Insurance company takes the car to the salvage auction it is the featured car of the day
Car is bid upon by at least 50 different people
We buy the car for a fair price
We then service the car, have it inspected and Porsche sends us the original serial number plates which we install
We have the car inspected with the new plates installed
My brother advertises and sells the car to the new happy owner in Alabama
The thief is in jail
We made some money on the deal!!!!
And I wrote a fun article and am entitled to BRAGGING rights absolutely
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 1 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #142

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 01:03 PM) *

As I see it:

4. Original possessor of the car (the one who brought it into the shop) was unable to provide police with a good enough story or documentation to make claim to the car.
6. Police auction car.

It's doubtful that the police and AA teamed up to steal this car from the original possessor. Many shops, upon finding questionable vehicle ID, may call police to protect themselves from liability. I was told of a person that brought his teener to a shop in SOCAL that was owned by a LAPD (or some such agency) officer. Upon looking at the reg numbers, the shop (police person) discovered the car had been reported stolen. The guy that brought the teener in lost the car, as it was not rightfully (in the eyes of the law) his.

Not fun. Not good for the person bringing the teener to the shop. But it is what it is.

My only criticism is the appearance of the "bragging" that AA got such a good deal on the car. AA may have done well financially, and may have acted in a moral and legal way, but the bragging in the article was a bit over the top.

fun article though, the thief is still in jail, and there is a happy man in Alabama who owns an 89 930 LEGITIMATELY!!

so was the thief the customer that brought in the car?
+Quote Post
dw914er
post May 1 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #143

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

As I see it:

6. Police auction car.

i think they were just showing that they work to be 'honest'

i mean, the car was obviously stolen. Yea, ive owned this car since 84, second owner. But the car was an 89. Im sure if the car was an 83 like the 'owner' said, then yes, the story from AA doesnt work. But im sure most of us, and definately George knows his years for these cars. Its like comparing a 66 ford mustang to a 68. Yea, they are similar, but the differences are obvious.

I also think that they just wanted to share their experience with this car. I mean, that fiasco with the car can be worth mentioning. My dealership had a car repoed from a lead singer from a popular band. I thought that was pretty cool.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 1 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #144

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 1 2008, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 01:03 PM) *

As I see it:

6. Police auction car.

fun article though, the thief is still in jail, and there is a happy man in Alabama who owns an 89 930 LEGITIMATELY!!

so was the thief the customer that brought in the car?

YES!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post May 1 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #145

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

I'm glad to see Ron (Slits) playing over here instead of causing trouble and strife soley on the NARP board.

Just think of the carnage of all them ones and zeros for no good reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Were any minds changed here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Nice work Ron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

P.S. The man has skills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 1 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #146

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

So What happened to the rusted piece of S%#, the vin & title?

The way I see it my 914-6s are worth even more now because every 914-6 that has ever been through AA is now tainted goods.

T.C.
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 1 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #147

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 1 2008, 02:03 PM) *

As I see it:

6. Police auction car.

insurance company recovers the car long stolen from the owner
Insurance company takes the car to the salvage auction it is the featured car of the day
Car is bid upon by at least 50 different people
We buy the car for a fair price
We then service the car, have it inspected and Porsche sends us the original serial number plates which we install
We have the car inspected with the new plates installed
My brother advertises and sells the car to the new happy owner in Alabama
The thief is in jail
We made some money on the deal!!!!
And I wrote a fun article and am entitled to BRAGGING rights absolutely

With the information George added, I now believe he has every right to the bragging rights. Seems like a fair and moral end to the story. Regardless of other issues in this thread, I cannot denigrate George for this item.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 1 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #148

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The way I see it my 914-6s are worth even more now because every 914-6 that has ever been through AA is now tainted goods.

Yours are all fakes and you know it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 1 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #149

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

George, if it is legal to put different VIN tags on, why was the original auction removed and a new auction put up with no mention of them?
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 1 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #150

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:08 PM