Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tie-rod removal, I'ts stuck
watsonrx13
post Jan 19 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

I used Brad's method of tie-rod removal (courtsey of Jeroen):
1. with the car on jack stands, jack up the a-arm.
2. put another jack stand under the hub of the brake disc, so it supports the whole assembly.
3. remove jack.
4. get the BFH (5 lb sledge hammer) and give a couple of good whacks on the a-arm, the tension on the torsion bar helps pushing the a-arm down.

This procedure worked wonderfully on the passenger's side (3 blows and it was off).

But after repeated blows, PB blaster, repeated blows, nothing. This went on for about 2 hours.

Ok, let's get the tie-rod removal tool (not the tuning fork type).

Attached removal tool and tighten. After tightening 3 times, and the tools sliding off the rod, I added a c-clamp to keep the arms from expanding. Again, I tighten the screw down until I couldn't tighten anymore. I added PB blaster and let it sit for 2 hours, while I removed the passenger's side brake. I went back to the driver's side tie-rod, but no movement using the removal tool.

Can the tie-rod threaded shaft be bent enough that I should cut it off?

Should I try again tomorrow? (I'm leaving the removal tool and c-clamp attached overnight)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 02:20 PM