Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Group buys = pissed off people???
Mueller
post Jan 19 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

It has been brought to my attention that a few people (Direct customers as well as shops-[still a customer]) have taken notice of the group buy that Aaron has put together in order to purchase items directly from Tarett Engineering.

Originally the group buy was for swaybars, then monoballs and next thing we know, NBK's (Needle Bearing Kit's).
From what I read, Ira (owner of Tarett) agreed to offer a pretty good discount on his parts that he himself designed and has manufactured (swaybars and monoballs), this is fine, the problem that has now been created is that pricing for the NBK's has been reduced by 10% per set.

The retail price of the bearings is set at $400.00, there is room in order for the reseller to make a few dollars from selling to the following:
A)a shop that will resell and possibly do the install
B)to a customer directly

Obviously for "A", Ira would have to offer a discount to the shop in order for the shop to make a few dollars off of the sale to his customer. From how I read the group buy thread, Ira has been misinformed on who his "customer" is. If I am correct, a shop is buying all of these parts under the false pretense that they will markup and resell at "retail" pricing.

Now I could be wrong and all that is happening is that Ira has decided to sell the NBK's at a very deep discount since he is making up the difference by selling his "own products" which should yield a much higher profit margin. This is beyond my control.

I know everyone wants a discount, but it's just not going to happen all the time.

So why the pissed off people?

It's due to customers asking why did they have to purchase the NBK's for $400???

Why? In order to justify my time and expense, this "has" to be the price. In order for Ira or Brad to recommend and sell this product, this "has" to be the price, Ira and Brad (and others) have to make some money selling these or it would be a waste of their time and effort. I can raise my price, but I’d rather not. (I am currently $95 per set lower than the competition)

Now I've got to do some serious thinking, it just might be easier to:
1) Sell my remaining stock of parts and give up
2) Sell my prints and supplier list and let someone else deal with it

"1)" would be too easy
"2)" would piss me off if the product caught on fire and was being sold by Performance or some other catalog (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mueller   Group buys = pissed off people???   Jan 19 2004, 09:53 PM
Qarl   First of all... Mueller, Thank you. To the whiner...   Jan 19 2004, 10:06 PM
ChrisReale   I don't understand.....who is mad? A shop tha...   Jan 19 2004, 10:07 PM
Gint   I don't know anything about anyone misrepresen...   Jan 19 2004, 10:09 PM
!   I ain't mad.....irked. peaved or perturbed.......   Jan 19 2004, 10:11 PM
Gint   Do you know how many times I've bought parts t...   Jan 19 2004, 10:13 PM
ChrisReale   What the hell are you all talking about. I just b...   Jan 19 2004, 10:17 PM
Mueller   Hey Gint, I guess it could happen with any group ...   Jan 19 2004, 10:25 PM
Gint   I looked at it as an "everybody wins" type of deal...   Jan 19 2004, 10:29 PM
redshift   WELL I FOR ONE AM ...   Jan 19 2004, 10:34 PM
Mueller   Gint, no reason to bow out of the group buy, Brad...   Jan 19 2004, 10:40 PM
Gint   S'ok. I don't want you to have to raise p...   Jan 19 2004, 10:43 PM
Korijo   Mueller, I still want a full set, remember ? Sen...   Jan 20 2004, 12:17 AM
airsix   Mueller, Life is too short to let a few whiners sp...   Jan 20 2004, 12:36 PM
Targa   Hey Mike, I would like to get the needle bearing ...   Jan 20 2004, 03:07 PM
ChrisReale   I have been told that boat trailer grease keeps it...   Jan 20 2004, 04:14 PM
Aaron Cox   Hey guys, I was approached with discounts on tarr...   Jan 20 2004, 04:22 PM
Mueller   [QUOTE] im sorry that the group buy undercut somep...   Jan 20 2004, 04:35 PM
ss6   Hey Mike, ditto on "f--- the whiners". Entreprene...   Jan 20 2004, 04:38 PM
Aaron Cox   mike, i guess i should have called the thread "tar...   Jan 20 2004, 04:42 PM
Brad Roberts   I'm the whiner. LOL Up until now ..NOBODY new...   Jan 20 2004, 04:48 PM
Jeroen   Glad to see Ira cleared things up (original group ...   Jan 22 2004, 06:10 PM
fiid   I have a full set of bearings. I f**king love the...   Jan 27 2004, 12:48 PM
Jeroen   Amen! cheers, Jeroen   Jan 27 2004, 08:05 PM
TimT   Ira hardly cleared things up.............. lets o...   Jan 27 2004, 08:12 PM
Rich Bontempi   I put a set of Mueller's bearings in my SCCA ...   Jan 27 2004, 10:52 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:39 PM