Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> muffler design with cat converter, anyone got one??
jimkelly
post May 4 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #1

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i barely got thru emissions last time

would be nice for the club to have a loaner muffler/cat that we can use to get thru emissions testing

then afterwards reinstall our muffler back on

jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 4 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2008, 02:35 PM) *

i barely got thru emissions last time

would be nice for the club to have a loaner muffler/cat that we can use to get thru emissions testing

then afterwards reinstall our muffler back on

jim

Jim,
I haven't had to smog my car in Ca. (YET) so if I did I would just put on two cats (or one for single exhaust) and then see how it sounds. If its too loud slide on a muffler when you get to the shop. Let it stick out, the smog guy won't or shouldn't get in the way of that.. emissions are his concern anyway mufflers surely aren't...
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post May 4 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i am talking about my v8 car and my 2.0 car.

i have thought of putting a small gas tank in the trunk with iots own fuel pump, so that i can run a gas/alcohol mixture - just for emissions inspection purposes.

jim
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 4 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2008, 07:19 PM) *

i am talking about my v8 car and my 2.0 car.

i have thought of putting a small gas tank in the trunk with iots own fuel pump, so that i can run a gas/alcohol mixture - just for emissions inspection purposes.

jim

I guess it depends how much you need to improve the levels. In most states you have to test the timing, how can your V8 car have this done??? Retarding the timing will reduce the hydrocarbons and leaning it out will reduce the CO but increase the hydrocarbons so its a balancing act. I've herd of using different fuels but a big NEW cat will clean up almost anything for a short time. I had a twin turbo rotary RX7 that was ported and ran hard. I got a cheep fuel tuner and leaned out the mixture along with adding a large cat converter. It ran just enough to get there and do the smog test. It passed and the smog tech was shocked!!
Google it maybe you will get some good ideas..
Jim in your blog I noticed the 914 using the front wheel drive auto and a straight axle rear end, wow that looks interesting... Is there anymore picks and information ??
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 4 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Wouldn't you guys just sleep better if you made what changes you needed to do to pass and left them in place? Beats having to do the dance every couple of years and you would be able to have a clear conscience...

Integrity is gud...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 5 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 4 2008, 10:55 PM) *

Wouldn't you guys just sleep better if you made what changes you needed to do to pass and left them in place? Beats having to do the dance every couple of years and you would be able to have a clear conscience...

Integrity is gud...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In Ca. we don't need Integrity for 1975 and older cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) , Where Jim lives it seem to be needed once every 2 years or so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:08 AM