Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler design with cat converter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i barely got thru emissions last time

would be nice for the club to have a loaner muffler/cat that we can use to get thru emissions testing

then afterwards reinstall our muffler back on

jim
drive-ability
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2008, 02:35 PM) *

i barely got thru emissions last time

would be nice for the club to have a loaner muffler/cat that we can use to get thru emissions testing

then afterwards reinstall our muffler back on

jim

Jim,
I haven't had to smog my car in Ca. (YET) so if I did I would just put on two cats (or one for single exhaust) and then see how it sounds. If its too loud slide on a muffler when you get to the shop. Let it stick out, the smog guy won't or shouldn't get in the way of that.. emissions are his concern anyway mufflers surely aren't...
jimkelly
i am talking about my v8 car and my 2.0 car.

i have thought of putting a small gas tank in the trunk with iots own fuel pump, so that i can run a gas/alcohol mixture - just for emissions inspection purposes.

jim
drive-ability
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 4 2008, 07:19 PM) *

i am talking about my v8 car and my 2.0 car.

i have thought of putting a small gas tank in the trunk with iots own fuel pump, so that i can run a gas/alcohol mixture - just for emissions inspection purposes.

jim

I guess it depends how much you need to improve the levels. In most states you have to test the timing, how can your V8 car have this done??? Retarding the timing will reduce the hydrocarbons and leaning it out will reduce the CO but increase the hydrocarbons so its a balancing act. I've herd of using different fuels but a big NEW cat will clean up almost anything for a short time. I had a twin turbo rotary RX7 that was ported and ran hard. I got a cheep fuel tuner and leaned out the mixture along with adding a large cat converter. It ran just enough to get there and do the smog test. It passed and the smog tech was shocked!!
Google it maybe you will get some good ideas..
Jim in your blog I noticed the 914 using the front wheel drive auto and a straight axle rear end, wow that looks interesting... Is there anymore picks and information ??
JeffBowlsby
Wouldn't you guys just sleep better if you made what changes you needed to do to pass and left them in place? Beats having to do the dance every couple of years and you would be able to have a clear conscience...

Integrity is gud...biggrin.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 4 2008, 10:55 PM) *

Wouldn't you guys just sleep better if you made what changes you needed to do to pass and left them in place? Beats having to do the dance every couple of years and you would be able to have a clear conscience...

Integrity is gud...biggrin.gif

In Ca. we don't need Integrity for 1975 and older cars shades.gif , Where Jim lives it seem to be needed once every 2 years or so av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.