Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Cleanup & Detailing Thread
jonferns
post Jul 13 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

So I finally schutz'd my valances this afternoon! The front one came out perfect (as far as uniformity goes). I did two rears, and I still have to decide which I will use, I kinda messed up a bit on one (one corner is a bit over textured). Im confident that I got the proper texture overall, or at least close to it. Can someone post a pic of their schutz'd valances? I will post pics once I install the valances along with my NOS 1.8 muffler this week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 14 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #22

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 13 2008, 06:31 PM) *

So I finally schutz'd my valances this afternoon! The front one came out perfect (as far as uniformity goes). I did two rears, and I still have to decide which I will use, I kinda messed up a bit on one (one corner is a bit over textured). Im confident that I got the proper texture overall, or at least close to it. Can someone post a pic of their schutz'd valances? I will post pics once I install the valances along with my NOS 1.8 muffler this week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Jon,

I can take pics of my rear valance tonight & send them. Can't do the front, because the car is on stands & too close to the tool chest to get decent pics. The rear is the best anyway. I'll fire up the cam & shoot some off a little later.

Pat.

PS: the rear is an early one. However, I'm currently running a later one that I re-did. Will try to send pics of both later.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 14 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Thanks Pat, after looking at the valances today im not so sure I got the texture right, from what you describe it should look like. Oh well, you have my email, looking forward to the pics, I appreciate it!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 14 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #24

Attached ImageAttached Image
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 14 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Thanks Pat, after looking at the valances today im not so sure I got the texture right, from what you describe it should look like. Oh well, you have my email, looking forward to the pics, I appreciate it!

Jon,

Pics of the wrong valence for my 914

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 14 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #25

Attached Image

Jon,
This is the correct valence for my car. NOT finished by me - done in southern California by an expert!
Sory for any duplications - still learning VISTA.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jul 15 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

My final product has a texture very close to the valance that is on your car in the first few pics. I'll try to get pics tonight after work. Thanks again for the pics
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 17 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

I would think that either finish that Pat has depicted would be correct. Depending on whether Fritz, Hans or Werner was spraying the finish that day, what he set his pressures to, and how clean the equipment was, could all contribute to some variance of finish and texture. The original finish on my '70 rear valence was noticably textured near the bumper fitment, but almost smooth at the bottom.

Paul
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Sep 10 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Hey Pat, are those mud flaps on your car in the pics above? Whats the part number on those?

I decided against installing the NOS muffler, gonna hold onto it for a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Oct 5 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #29

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Sep 10 2008, 06:39 PM) *

Hey Pat, are those mud flaps on your car in the pics above? Whats the part number on those?

I decided against installing the NOS muffler, gonna hold onto it for a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Hello, I have some new/ old stock 914 mud flaps in storage. I will pull down and take a picture soon.

Marc-
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 6 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Sep 10 2008, 07:39 PM) *

Jon,

Nope, those are "spats". They aren't factory - made by Colgan in the late 70's (don't know if they still make them).

They are definitely NOT original, but they have provided protection for my rear valence for many years & will stay, particularly with the addition of a correct early valence. They actually work! So, I'll continue taking a gig for them.
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Feb 9 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Guess its time to bump my own thread. I haven't done much in the way of detailing or cleanup but I have been collecting nice NOS parts. I promise to get back to working on it soon. I'd like to drop the trans in the spring and degrease it as well as clean under the rear trunk (lots of oil buildup).
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 10 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Feb 9 2009, 10:16 PM) *

Guess its time to bump my own thread. I haven't done much in the way of detailing or cleanup but I have been collecting nice NOS parts. I promise to get back to working on it soon. I'd like to drop the trans in the spring and degrease it as well as clean under the rear trunk (lots of oil buildup).

Jon, we'll be watching & waiting & willing to offer suggestions. Sounds like a dirty job, but you can't get a 914 clean without removing the filth from the 914 onto your clothes. After all, you can't run your 914 through the clothes washer. Can you? Anyone tried THAT?
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 27 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Well, back to work! Dropped the transmission today to fix a leak and to do some cleaning. Everything is caked in oil, so this is going to take some serious effort. I'll start with cleaning the trans then move onto underneath the car and detail it. Ordering a bunch of shiney new parts too! Finally, I'll install my NOS 1.8 muffler. Pics to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 28 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 27 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Well, back to work! Dropped the transmission today to fix a leak and to do some cleaning. Everything is caked in oil, so this is going to take some serious effort. I'll start with cleaning the trans then move onto underneath the car and detail it. Ordering a bunch of shiney new parts too! Finally, I'll install my NOS 1.8 muffler. Pics to come. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Couple of cans of CRC & toothbrusheswill clean up the tranny gook. Use several layers of or heavy corrugated cardboard underneath to "recycle" the gook & keep the mess localized. Good luck.
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 28 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Whew, finally finished cleaning the trans. 3 cans of EasyOff oven cleaner, a pressure washer spraying hot water, and a small toothbrush, it is spotless! Took me about 4-5 hours but I was able to achieve the spotless finish that I was after. After doing the oven cleaner twice, I scrubbed the entire thing with baking soda and water to neutralize any acid from the oven cleaner as to not discolor my case, just as a precaution. Im really happy with the results, every nut & bolt is clean. Now just to replace the speedo angle drive (looking for one!). Next task is cleaning up the mess under the car, but it will be as clean as my wheelwells. Pics to come, my hands were too greasy to take any.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 29 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #36

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 28 2009, 07:18 PM) *

Whew, finally finished cleaning the trans. 3 cans of EasyOff oven cleaner, a pressure washer spraying hot water, and a small toothbrush, it is spotless! Took me about 4-5 hours but I was able to achieve the spotless finish that I was after. After doing the oven cleaner twice, I scrubbed the entire thing with baking soda and water to neutralize any acid from the oven cleaner as to not discolor my case, just as a precaution. Im really happy with the results, every nut & bolt is clean. Now just to replace the speedo angle drive (looking for one!). Next task is cleaning up the mess under the car, but it will be as clean as my wheelwells. Pics to come, my hands were too greasy to take any.

Hi Jonathan,

Good going, now show us a picture of the finished transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) You & Tod will be our next cloned Pat Garvey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) His job is open (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
BTW: We are proud of you.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 30 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 29 2009, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 28 2009, 07:18 PM) *

Hi Jonathan,

Good going, now show us a picture of the finished transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) You & Tod will be our next cloned Pat Garvey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) His job is open (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
BTW: We are proud of you.

Nice try Tom! These guys are good, though I would never let oven cleaner touch my sensitive parts.
Pat
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 31 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2008, 07:55 PM) *

Attached Image

Jon,
This is the correct valence for my car. NOT finished by me - done in southern California by an expert!

you know of course that the rear valances and rockers were never finished in schutz or stone guard, but rather trim paint with a very orange peal finish. The schutz is a nicer product to use these days but is not an original appearance.
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Mar 31 2009, 08:33 AM
Post #39

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Couple of cans of CRC & toothbrusheswill clean up the tranny gook. Use several layers of or heavy corrugated cardboard underneath to "recycle" the gook & keep the mess localized. Good luck.
Pat
[/quote]

I am in the process of cleaning under my car: engine/tranny. I have found that a good layer of WD-40 (assume any lubricant would work) first and let it sit. I then come after it with CRC and clean. The stuff comes off way better.

I figure that caked on oil and grime comes off better when it has be "rehydrated" with oil.

And yes, I have a catch all under the car because it is messy!

Now, who has the best solution for the oil grime that gets under my fingernails!?

Mark
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 3 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 31 2009, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2008, 07:55 PM) *

Attached Image

Jon,

you know of course that the rear valances and rockers were never finished in schutz or stone guard, but rather trim paint with a very orange peal finish. The schutz is a nicer product to use these days but is not an original appearance.

George,

Look, I know you the godfather of 914's ...but. I won't disagree with you on Schutz, but will relate somehting I experienced.

1974, my first Porsche Parade. Won councours, did my usual mediocre auto-x & rally. But, duringthe concours, one of the judges (Chuck Stoddard) told me that the leading forward edges of my rocker covers looked like they needed to be re-done. I asked what he said I should use. Told me that Body Schutz was the factory material & that I should buy the low pressure gun and redo all the lower panels. I did. They turned out great.

My question is this, and no disrepect intended, whom should I believe?

If anyone has proof that Schutz was not used by the factory, I'll shut me mouth.

If not, I'll contnue to recommend it.
Pat
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:00 PM