Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Cleanup & Detailing Thread
jonferns
post Apr 11 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Well, finally finished cleaning. I finally got the trans spotless and spent a few hours cleaning and detailing underneath the car. Its not 100% to my liking, but I want to start driving the car as the weather has been nice, so this winter out comes the engine/trans for some refreshing and a full cleanup. I'll post more pics once I get my NOS muffler and bits installed, but for now...

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 12 2009, 05:26 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 6,103

Jonathan,
I want to congratulate you on such a thorough cleaning job. It's amazing what you will find when you dig this deep.

Just a couple of comments:

-While I don't have proof that the factory didn't use Shutz, I would have to agree with George at A/A that it looks like they used a fairly thick mixture of paint in a pressure feed gun to give the finish a pronounced orange peel effect. I defer to the Brothers Paterek on that one, they must know the answer.

-As far as cleaning a greasy trans or engine; 30 years ago I went to a Paterek workshop and they used plain old kerosene with a brush. There was a miserably neglected 356 for the demonstration. They heated up the engine, covered the distributor cap with plastic and brushed liberally with kerosene. Then hosed off with a strong stream of water. I know it sounds downright primitive, but it worked! I continue to use this method on my tranny, not the engine, since it never really gets that dirty. The trouble with store bought engine cleaners is that they are too aggressive and leave blotches and totally strip any protection you would have on the parts. And I would have to agree with Pat that the oven cleaner is too caustic for plating, seals and paint. The kerosene leaves everything clean and won't remove the finish on painted or plated surfaces.

As with any procedure, whatever works for you is correct. I just though I would put in my two cents.

Dave
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 12 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips Dave. I thought that the oven cleaner would be too strong, but I read about how good it is for removing grease and oil, so I made sure not to leave it on too long, and to rinse liberally with water and baking soda to make sure it wouldn't spot. As always, thanks for the input, and at this years All Air Cooled Gathering feel free to judge my 914's undercarriage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 12 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #44

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 11 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Well, finally finished cleaning. I finally got the trans spotless and spent a few hours cleaning and detailing underneath the car. Its not 100% to my liking, but I want to start driving the car as the weather has been nice, so this winter out comes the engine/trans for some refreshing and a full cleanup. I'll post more pics once I get my NOS muffler and bits installed, but for now...

Attached Image

Jon,

Great looking tranny! Your witch's brew aeems to work well. We all have our own "brew", and they all seem to work.

Nice job my friend. Nice job!
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 12 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Thanks Pat. Im sending you a PM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 15 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 12 2009, 05:11 AM) *

Thanks for the tips Dave. I thought that the oven cleaner would be too strong, but I read about how good it is for removing grease and oil, so I made sure not to leave it on too long, and to rinse liberally with water and baking soda to make sure it wouldn't spot. As always, thanks for the input, and at this years All Air Cooled Gathering feel free to judge my 914's undercarriage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Jonathan,
With this level of preparation any thoughts on attending the Zone One Porsche Concours in Parsippany NJ on May 17th? I'm assuming you are a PCA member of course. See the "Events" thread of 914world.com for details.

And, yes I would be happy to judge your undercarriage at the AACG. Tod, are you ready for some competition?

Dave
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 15 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Dave, thanks for the kind words but my car is no where near concours, I wouldn't stand a chance! As for this year's AACG, any chance of seperating the 914's from the 911's and have two seperate classes? Those same two 993's take 1st and 2nd every year! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Talk to you soon.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 16 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 15 2009, 06:59 PM) *

Dave, thanks for the kind words but my car is no where near concours, I wouldn't stand a chance! As for this year's AACG, any chance of seperating the 914's from the 911's and have two seperate classes? Those same two 993's take 1st and 2nd every year! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Talk to you soon.

Jonathan,
The All Air Cooled Gathering's original premise was to have an informal venue for the VW air cooled hobby. It wasn't really a car show but, just as the event name implies, a "Gathering". We quickly found out that people really like to be recognized for their effort, whether it be restoration, preparation or preservation of their vehicle. So, we decided to hand out trophies. The first year, being a very small club with a very limited budget, we only gave out one trophy per class. While that's better than no trophy at all, we could see that many entrants were disappointed. So at my suggestion, we went 3 deep in each class (i.e. 1st, 2nd and 3rd). And since Dr. Porsche was instrumental in the design of the VW, I thought it was obvious that we should invite all air cooled Porsches as well. The only way this was going to happen is if I volunteered to judge the Porsche class, which I happily did. So, what about breaking up the classes of Porsches? I think its a legitimate question if the Porsche turnout was a little stronger. So far, with less than 10 cars in the entire Porsche class with representation of each model in the low single digits it just doesn't justify the formation of subclasses. I would love a large Porsche contingent to show up, especially 914's. So, unless this changes, we will keep it just one class for all air cooled Porsches. FYI, last year we had 215 cars in attendance. So, all you 914 owners, give us a reason to break up the class and show your pride and joy!

Dave
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 16 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Well, im trying to convince Pat to go to this years AACG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) But otherwise its the usual suspects, me, Ray and Tod. Dave, why don't you bring out your 914 this year? I have a feeling I can recruit at least 2 more teeners from the club site. Lets try for a nice 914 turnout this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 16 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Kudos Johnathan. Under carriage looks great! Patterak brothers are haveing a workshop this Sunday; 13 Commerce Street, Chatham NJ 07928. You should pop down if you can. I believe it starts at 1:00 Dave looking foward to seeing you there.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 17 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 16 2009, 07:50 PM) *

Kudos Johnathan. Under carriage looks great! Patterak brothers are haveing a workshop this Sunday; 13 Commerce Street, Chatham NJ 07928. You should pop down if you can. I believe it starts at 1:00 Dave looking foward to seeing you there.

Tod,
Along with the normal Paterek program I think they are unveiling the Zone One Award/Poster. This should inspire those that are on the fence about attending; the picture is awesome. Yes, Jonathan that means you too! Let the judges determine whether your car is "concours" or not. Trust me, preparation, and we know what kind of cleaning you've done lately, counts for a lot of points.

Dave
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 17 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Dave, very cool. I remember one year they gave out some limited edition prints. I won one! Johnathan, throughout the season there will be several events. Enter!!! You'll do just fine. You'll start off as a novice this year. Think the judges will be very impressed with your effort. If you have chips on the car, touch them up. You won't get gigged for that.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 17 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Yea? Maybe I'll give it a shot! Tod or Dave, let me know some dates of upcoming events, thanks guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 17 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

pca.org zone 1 Northern NJ chapter. check out their scheduled events. autocross, de, ralley, concours. they have a triatholon comming up; autox ralley & concours. fun weekend. you'll have to sign up to be a pca member.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 18 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Well, took her out for the first ride of the season today! About 70 mile round trip, runs great. Also got the NOS muffler and tailpipe installed, much quieter and looks great! Next weekend I'm doing the sail panel vinyl, and then redoing the suspension with original green-stripe 90lb springs, maybe a new set of Boge shocks? And raising the front back to stock height. A new set of 195/65 tires will finish it off, replacing the current 205/60's which are too low profile and ride too harsh. Some pics from today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 26 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Well, couldn't go to Hershey because of placement tests at school, too bad. But I had lots of spare time to work on the 914, so I did new sail vinyl. When we bought the car a few years back the original vinyl was dry and peeling. So I bought a set of Camp 914's vinyl kit and off I went. The top rollbar vinyl is fine, and its original so I didn't touch it. Saturday night I carefully removed all of the necessary trim and did some cleaning, and masked the sections so not to overspray glue. Sunday morning I sprayed the glue and set the vinyl down. I spent the afternoon trimming and fitting the trim pieces back on. Overall, im pleased with the job I did. Sometimes im glad my OCD kicks in when it comes to details, because it really pays off.

All masked off and ready to go
Attached Image

And finally, finished!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 26 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #57

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 26 2009, 06:02 PM) *

Well, couldn't go to Hershey because of placement tests at school, too bad. But I had lots of spare time to work on the 914, so I did new sail vinyl. When we bought the car a few years back the original vinyl was dry and peeling. So I bought a set of Camp 914's vinyl kit and off I went. The top rollbar vinyl is fine, and its original so I didn't touch it. Saturday night I carefully removed all of the necessary trim and did some cleaning, and masked the sections so not to overspray glue. Sunday morning I sprayed the glue and set the vinyl down. I spent the afternoon trimming and fitting the trim pieces back on. Overall, im pleased with the job I did. Sometimes im glad my OCD kicks in when it comes to details, because it really pays off.

All masked off and ready to go
Attached Image

And finally, finished!
Attached Image

Jon,

Looks gorgeous! Nice job!
Pat
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 26 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Bring it to the concours event on the 17th! Looks great. Maybe that 914-6 GT will be there.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 26 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

I spent the better part of the day cleaning the undercoating on 1 front wheel well. Man that grime really works it's way into the tar. I got it 80% better. Think I will finish it off with Griots tire dressing. One of the few that aren't greasy and shinney.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 26 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Hey Tod, lets see some pics. When I did my wheelwells, I spent roughly 3-4 hours per wheelwell, got every nook and cranny, but then again I don't have undercoating so I can imagine how the dirt sticks to undercoating. I'd love to stop by and check out your car sometime Tod, let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:33 AM