Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> can`t even stop 2 P, WHAT R U RUN`N
6freak
post May 20 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #1

MR.C

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One session and they where mush and just keep get`n worse Thought they would cool and get maybe a little back but NO
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
purple
post May 20 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 20 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #3

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

However;

A winner in the "Best Title: category! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 20 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Brake fade?
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 20 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 10:16 AM) *

Brake fade?

That's what I think too.
+Quote Post
purple
post May 20 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #6

Oh yeah, now that you say.....

stock brakes rebuilt by Eric shea. Haven't braked with them yet as I'm still putting them on.

sounds to me like you need a good bleeding if your pedal is mushy or maybe your pads are dragging and wearing unevenly.

I seem to recall a thread about this written by someone totally awesome....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...acing+my+brakes

There we go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 20 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Are you already 5-lug? Some vented rotors, Porterfield pads, and fresh fluid ought to fit the bill (if the lines are good).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 20 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(6freak @ May 20 2008, 09:20 AM) *

One session and they where mush and just keep get`n worse Thought they would cool and get maybe a little back but NO

Track or parking lot racing?

Track ... ya got 'em hot and boiled the fluid. Check rotors for cracks, glazing, blueness. Check for stuck pistons. Bleed brakes (we did it between each track session). Add air ducts to calipers (See Trekkor). Also, ya get 'rm hot enough the rubber seals will go away and you won't have any brakes (and the fluid coming out catches on fire real nice).

Parking lot .... no answer.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 20 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/sczmaster33/Fark%20Pics/DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif)

I'd check your brake system for leaks, cracked hose, etc. I'd do this before you drove the car again.

Zach
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #10

MR.C

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 20 2008, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 20 2008, 09:20 AM) *

Track or parking lot racing?

Track ... ya got 'em hot and boiled the fluid. Check rotors for cracks, glazing, blueness. Check for stuck pistons. Bleed brakes (we did it between each track session). Add air ducts to calipers (See Trekkor). Also, ya get 'rm hot enough the rubber seals will go away and you won't have any brakes (and the fluid coming out catches on fire real nice).

Parking lot .... no answer.

sorry guys I should have been more specific.But yes track session at Portland.brand new Motul fluid all the way through the system and a good bleed ,good pads,good slotted rotors up front, good calipers braided lines I guess i just didn`t expect them to go away so fast ,I didnt think the fluid would boil that easy.it was hot outside about 80+ and i thought once they cooled i would get some back ,but they just keep get`n worse.I agree a bleed is in order.And again sorry for the confusion
+Quote Post
ericread
post May 20 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #11

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 20 2008, 10:42 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post May 20 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #12

Nice pic....

ARent braided lines unsafe for not being able to check your actual line condition?

I read somewhere, i think from sir andy or lapuwali that the braiding can abrade the hose on the inside and you'll never see a failure coming...

how about venting clearance? How about braking less? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #13

MR.C

Brake fade?

WINNER WINNER you get the award because you figured it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) great minds think alike....once again guys....... thanks for the input
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #14

MR.C

QUOTE(ericread @ May 20 2008, 10:58 AM) *

hair cut MOTHER FUCKER you dig (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
race914
post May 20 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #15

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(6freak @ May 20 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Brake fade?

WINNER WINNER you get the award because you figured it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) great minds think alike....once again guys....... thanks for the input

Heat buildup can cause alot of problems.

* Do you still have the big metal splash guards on? They get hot and hold the heat in your rotors & calipers. like little brake ovens (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)
Take them off if you haven't already.

* Brake coolers? These kits to route air into the center of the vented rotor help alot.

Attached Image

* I use ATE Blue and have no problems but change out annually. I've heard MOTUL is good but have no experience with it.

Did you bleed the proportioning valve too? That little gem can give you all sorts of grief if it still has air in it.

Pads. with all of the above, I still had fade with 'good pads' until I switched to Pagid Orange....

Let us know what you find and what fixes your problems...

I had some brake issues recently and it ended up being a frozen piston in one of the front calipers. Was real exciting first high speed lap on practice day!!

+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #16

MR.C

QUOTE(purple @ May 20 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Nice pic....

ARent braided lines unsafe for not being able to check your actual line condition?

I read somewhere, i think from sir andy or lapuwali that the braiding can abrade the hose on the inside and you'll never see a failure coming...

how about venting clearance? How about braking less? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

good point on the braids! but they dont flex like the stocks so you get better feel in the pedal and they dont bulge under hard brake`n.Well the stop`n things kinda tuff ,go`n 115+ and try`n to stop or at least get down to 30 in 400 feet is tuff with out break`n very hard and do`n that twice a lap at Portland..venting system is stock so i would say not much if any .I will be bleed`n` em tonite...thanks for the input
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #17

MR.C

QUOTE(race914 @ May 20 2008, 11:24 AM) *

Brake fade?

* Do you still have the big metal splash guards on? They get hot and hold the heat in your rotors & calipers. like little brake ovens (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

* Brake coolers? These kits to route air into the center of the vented rotor help alot.

Attached Image

* I use ATE Blue and have no problems but change out annually. I've heard MOTUL is good but have no experience with it.

Did you bleed the proportioning valve too? That little gem can give you all sorts of grief if it still has air in it.

Pads. with all of the above, I still had fade with 'good pads' until I switched to Pagid Orange....

I had some brake issues recently and it ended up being a frozen piston in one of the front calipers. Was real exciting first high speed lap on practice day!!

yes splash guards on but not for long good idea..I did use the blue but just changed to the MOTUL heard it was better?? Pagid orange will be ordered tonite for sure.Do they squeel? , .how can i tell the proportion valve thing if its not bled proper..will the vent kit work with a stock front valance?..Thanks
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #18

MR.C

QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Are you already 5-lug? Some vented rotors, Porterfield pads, and fresh fluid ought to fit the bill (if the lines are good).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

factory 5 lug.........with slotted rotors, braided lines, and new juice.. all done
+Quote Post
race914
post May 20 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #19

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(6freak @ May 20 2008, 11:48 AM) *

Brake fade?

Attached Image

yes splash guards on but not for long good idea..I did use the blue but just changed to the MOTUL heard it was better?? Pagid orange will be ordered tonite for sure.Do they squeel? , .how can i tell the proportion valve thing if its not bled proper..will the vent kit work with a stock front valance?..Thanks

I'd probably start chasing the problem in this order.

1. Take off the splash guards.

2. Bleed brakes again. I agree with the post above, you may need to bleed several times if there is any residual moisture, etc.

3. Bleed the proportioning valve. Search here for threads. I use a Motive brake bleeder and tap the proportioning valve lightly to dislodge any bubbles while bleeding the back calipers. Do a search though, I'm sure there are better methods : )

Then try the brakes again. I wouldn't change out the pads or add the coolers right away. See if the above makes an improvement first.

Also, if the brakes work if you keep pumping them. And if the pedal slowly goes down if you apply constant pressure while sitting still, you may have a master cylinder going bad. If you change that out, upgrade to the 19mm unit.
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 20 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #20

MR.C

Brake fade?

Attached Image

It stops strait and true with one hand on the wheel...no pulling at all.I assume that means it OK ??
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:04 PM