Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> O/T So who is watching the Indy 500?, Is it you?
URY914
post May 27 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #41

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I found this on another board....

"She has never won a race in her entire career, other than GoCarts and her recent fuel mileage victory. She has gotten where she is based on her gender, not her ability and skill. There are a ton more guys out there that are far better and have not gotten the breaks that she has gotten. She got more TV coverage than any other driver in the race (including the winner), yet spent most of the race in & out of the top ten. What is equal about that? It has nothing to do with insecurities or masculinity. It has to do with what's fair and equal. And I have a problem with that. And she is no better than average from an objective point of view, rather than your subjective point of view."

He makes some good points.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post May 27 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #42

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 09:41 AM) *

Shirley Muldowney? She drives the cars that only go in straight lines right?

Yes, and she was very successful at it.
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 09:41 AM) *

I agreed with everything you said up until you threw in Shirley.

Just a comparison. IRL and NASCAR are simply much longer straight lines that are bent to the left.

In fairness, each type of racing demands a different set of skills. There is some overlap, but all you need to do is watch a NASCAR race at Sears Point to demonstrate the difference. Juan Pablo Montoya is a world class driver who has been unremarkable in NASCAR. But he won the race at Sears Point last year because of the skill set that he possesses and most of the NASCAR drivers do not.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post May 27 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #43

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 12:41 PM) *

Shirley Muldowney? She drives the cars that only go in straight lines right?

I agreed with everything you said up until you threw in Shirley.

You must mean try to drive straight. ( I dont think there that easy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) )
The dragsters she WOT's would make me shit in my pants.

And any chick or anyone for that matter that climbs onto a drag bike has my respect..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 27 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #44

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I would agree that drag racers have skills to do what they do. But I would also say holding on for dear life for less that 6 seconds (I know they go faster than that) is different than driving around Indy with your foot flat to the floor lap after lap.

I don't think you should compare the two.
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post May 27 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #45

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 01:13 PM) *

I would agree that drag racers have skills to do what they do. But I would also say holding on for dear life for less that 6 seconds (I know they go faster than that) is different than driving around Indy with your foot flat to the floor lap after lap.

I don't think you should compare the two.

Then we shouldn't be comparing driving in circles with braking, turning (both directions), shifting and passing.

I get a kick out of oval track drivers that say "there just wasn't anywhere to pass".
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:40 AM