Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It... Is... Alive!, Only took me HOW many years???
jhadler
post May 26 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

A productive weekend!!!

My wife (unbeknown to me) coordinated with a couple of the local 914'ers (thanks Brant, Kevin and Ron!!!) for a work day today, as an early Father's day present. So we started gray and early this morning (overcast and raining), and working all day, we finally managed to coax the car into life!! It runs! It moves!

I didn't venture any further than the driveway in front of the garage today (rain, no tread, and lack of familiarity with the car was a sure mix for an "oops"). But it pulled out of, and back into the garage under it's own power!!

Wow, I had forgotten how low the car is, it's been on jack stands for so freakin' long...

Hopefully the weather this week will cooperate, and I'll drive into work one day...

Still have some stuff to do before it's track worthy (mainly the oil cooler install, air dam, brake ducting, and new pads), but it RUNS!!!!!

I had forgotten how nice it is!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh joy!!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 53)
jhadler
post Nov 26 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #41

Long term tinkerer...

The crank looks good though...

#4 and #1 journals and Main #2...
Attached Image

#1 and #3 journals and Main #3..
Attached Image

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 26 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #42

Long term tinkerer...

And now the rods...

#1 Rod bearing
Attached Image
Attached Image

#2 Rod bearing
Attached Image
Attached Image

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 26 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #43

Long term tinkerer...

And the obvious ones...

#3 Rod bearing...
Attached Image
Attached Image

#4 Rod bearing...
Attached Image
Attached Image

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 26 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #44

Long term tinkerer...

So for those with lots of experience with bearing diagnosis, how close to scattering do you think this motor really was???

I plan to have the crank journals polished, and will be replacing the rods with reconditioned ones...

As well as a new cam and lifters..

Anything else I should be looking for?

I'll be drilling and taping the galleys, then flushing them. Anything else???

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 26 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

If you had continued to drive it, you would have smeared the bearing into the crank and locked it up. It may have done it at Idle as well and just stopped. BTDT.

Clean out the oil cooler or throw it away and get another one. When you have the rods resized have them done a little on the tight side. Take the machinist your rod bearing with the rods and let him set the crush to take up the slack in your bearings after you have the crank polished. The T4 doesn't have the luxury of proper bearing support from the manufactures.

You have to have this thing ready to hit HPR when it opens.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 26 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #46

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 26 2008, 01:24 PM) *

If you had continued to drive it, you would have smeared the bearing into the crank and locked it up. It may have done it at Idle as well and just stopped. BTDT.

Clean out the oil cooler or throw it away and get another one. When you have the rods resized have them done a little on the tight side. Take the machinist your rod bearing with the rods and let him set the crush to take up the slack in your bearings after you have the crank polished. The T4 doesn't have the luxury of proper bearing support from the manufactures.

Thanks for the advice. I already have reconditioned rods lined up. I'll check the dimensions before committing to them, but they're at the right price...

You have to have this thing ready to hit HPR when it opens.

Oh, you are SOOOOO right on that one... We (SCCA) have the first scheduled date. So I'm really hoping to have it running for that first event! Then again, there are some pending "family" matters that might take precedence over that particular date... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also am going to really have to get cracking on a front oil cooler, as the long straights in the summer at altitude at HPR will be murder on a stock 2.0L with no aux oil cooling...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 26 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #47

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

At least you caught it before it did major damage. Great pics!
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Aug 2 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #48

Long term tinkerer...

And we have revs!!!!

Fired up on the first turn, dialed the fuel pressure in right away (29-30 psi, I'd rather it be slightly rich than lean) and ran the cam in for 20 minutes at TDC. No leaks observed, save for a tiny drip from a loose relief valve bolt (fixed that quick!). Head temps never got above 200 degrees during the cam run in. Oil pressure stayed above 30 psi (45 cold, 30 hot, Brad Penn break-in oil). Temps? Dunno, the oil temp sender must have gotten disconnected, the gauge never moved. That's an easy fix. The ceramic coating on the headers is fantastic!! After the 20 minute run-in, the headers were touchable after only a couple minutes, the case on the other hand was too hot to touch. Good, at least the oil was indeed getting hot. Took it for a brief drive in the fading light and all is good!

Even with the timing set at TDC, the motor runs great. Can't wait to get it dialed in.

Next step, get the timing dialed in, and get the break in time logged so I can wick it up!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 2 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #49

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

so,
new motor...what clearance did you use on the rod bearings to crank?

If you dont know, would you ask your machinist please?

Rich
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 2 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #50

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's great Josh!

Now, about that oil... sent an email a couple of weeks ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 2 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Great News Josh!!! You will be doing this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) in no time!

Ferg
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Aug 3 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #52

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

yeah, get that thing broke in and get out to HPR, you are gonna like that track. I is hard to learn but it is nice and smooooooth.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Aug 7 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #53

Long term tinkerer...

Woo Hoo!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Set the timing last night. Drove the car into work this morning!! Took the long way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Car was ALMOST perfect.

Head temps never exceeded 300 even under load (never went to WOT or over 4k rpm). But mostly stayed around 250-275.

Only two issues so far.

1) Idle turned to cr*p when the car fully warmed up. Pretty sure it's a mixture issue. Need that wideband ASAP. No problem for the shakedown drive, just made sure to keep the revs up when stopped.

2) Oil temps got a little too high. 220-230. Ambient temps were 75+, 45 minute drive, shakedown drive varying rpm, varying load. I might have the timing too far advanced by a couple degrees, so will back it off as soon as I can. Wondering if it's just that it's a tight motor, running break-in oil.

Anyway, it's not gonna stop me from driving the car to the 914 lunch today. Fortunately, it's just down the road from work, so it's an easy drive. The drive home might not be the long way though, ambient temps are gonna be a lot higher, so I might just take the more direct route home.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Aug 23 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #54

Long term tinkerer...

Starting new thread for diagnosis of hot running...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=98722

-Josh2
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:57 PM