Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing a V-8...a few questions, Progress thread & 914 makeover
computers4kids
post May 28 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I'm installing a chevy 305 with a renegage kit and I have a few questions.

There seems to be plenty of room to leave the battery tray in the OEM position, why do many move the location to the trunk?

I have the Renegade wiring harness but no diagram...can someone send me a copy?

The exhaust is headers with twin turbo exhaust. Do you remove the stock exhaust heat sheild...it fits either way. Is it good to leave it or remove it?

Where do you source your power for the front 'dual fan radiator?' From what I have read it needs to be powered all the time, not switched. Is there a source to tap into in the front trunk or do you run a dedicated line...if so how heavy?

I would really love to see pictures of your V-8 914 front end so see what kind of setup you did for valance and cutting the bumper! I'm good on the fender cuts.

Stupid Question: The renegade recommends using #8 1/2 metal screws to attach the brackets that hold the coolant hoses to the bottom of the car. It mentions to be careful not to puncture the fuel lines in the tunnel. How can you tell if your'e going to hit a fuel line or not? ...other than just hoping and guessing?

Sorry for all the questions...
Mark
Edited.....thought I would add some before and a after picture since this thread has evolved into a v-8 install/restore/modify thread. The story begins....
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post May 28 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #2

Graduate of Life's experiences

Member No.: 6,753

Mark;
Heres a photo of my radiator setup... I have the 916 front so I just use the cutout to get my air. I also have my fluid lines hard plumbed...no clearance issues..

Michael

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post May 28 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Mark,

If your stock headers have heat shields, I would recommend you keep them. Managing the heat in the engine bay of a V8 914 is a wise idea, and you may as well take advantage of the oportunity in your case.

Andys
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post May 28 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stupid Question: The renegade recommends using #8 1/2 metal screws to attach the brackets that hold the coolant hoses to the bottom of the car. It mentions to be careful not to puncture the fuel lines in the tunnel. How can you tell if your'e going to hit a fuel line or not? ...other than just hoping and guessing?

When I worked at Renegade I used rivets to attach the brackets, to ensure that I would not nick the fuel lines I used a drill bit with a drill stop so the bit could not drill farther than it needed to.

There seems to be plenty of room to leave the battery tray in the OEM position, why do many move the location to the trunk?

I have seen a few V-8 cars with batteries in the stock location with no problem, just make sure your battery tray is solid. Most people move theirs to the trunk because there battery tray is rotted or because they want to lower their cars center of gravity.
If you do move your battery to the front trunk you will have no problem finding a power source for your radiator fans.
+Quote Post
marks914
post May 28 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,912

Here is how I did my front trunk.
Why did I move my battery? I don't know, i wish I had left it in the engine compartment. Its the first thing I did on the car. You need to wire the fans with a relay so that you do not overload the sender for the fans. I used a JC whitney adjustable fan. Also went with a custom $275 dual pass radiator done by a local shop, worksd great!
I also ran hard lines wherever I could

Mark

(IMG:http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/2506/2849680240057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/5682/2033403670057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post May 28 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #6

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This just blows my mind...

I mean, I understand if it comes outta the factory w/ a v8; but to actually swap a 4 cyl for a v8... how it's even possible is beyond me. There's barely room in the engine compartment w/ a 4 cyl... cramming in a v8 has got to be a squeeze!

Is there a lot of butchering that has to be done? I can't see it happening w/out at least some being required... unless you put it in sideways maybe??
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post May 28 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

Is there a lot of butchering that has to be done? I can't see it happening w/out at least some being required... unless you put it in sideways maybe??

Just a small notch needs to be cut in the rear firewall to clear bigger distributers.
A lot more cutting is needed to install the radiator than the V-8 engine itself.

This is what 500HP looks like...
(IMG:http://renegadehybrids.com/914/Customers/RichardL/Pic02.jpg)
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post May 28 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #8

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

Stock location is fine if tray is solid.
Something to consider if you move it for weight reasons. I put the battery in front, thinking that I would move the weight forward and lower.
Ran the lines, didn't plan everything out - spare tire doesn't quite fit in front and now carry that weight in the trunk (...fix it later..).
+Quote Post
marks914
post May 28 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,912

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

This just blows my mind...

I mean, I understand if it comes outta the factory w/ a v8; but to actually swap a 4 cyl for a v8... how it's even possible is beyond me. There's barely room in the engine compartment w/ a 4 cyl... cramming in a v8 has got to be a squeeze!

Fits and sometimes looks like it belongs there, sure makes for a fun, easy to maintain car, 30,000 miles and counting.

Mark

(IMG:http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/5831/2363509080057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/6534/2746009050057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)

(IMG:http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/3059/2187828940057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post May 29 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #10

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Fits and sometimes looks like it belongs there, sure makes for a fun, easy to maintain car, 30,000 miles and counting.

I don't know about easy to maintain... don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar w/ the old V8's- drove an old stepside chevy for years with enough room under the hood to hide one, mebbe two dead bodies if I needed to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Yes they're easy to maintain.... but in that amount of space? Are joo sure? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 29 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 29 2008, 07:31 AM) *

Are joo sure? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

There is more room to work on a chevy v-8 than there is on a porsche 4 cylinder motor by far...actually the fit is quite amazing.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 29 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 28 2008, 09:21 AM) *

The exhaust is headers with twin turbo exhaust. Do you remove the stock exhaust heat sheild...it fits either way. Is it good to leave it or remove it?

Thanks for the PMs and replies...I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about the 1/2 moon shaped heat shield that is welded (mine is bolted) to the bottom of the rear trunk floor. The turbo mufflers hand down quite a ways, so I'm thinking this tin serves no purpose any longer and would be good to remove?

Where do you source your power for the front 'dual fan radiator?' From what I have read it needs to be powered all the time, not switched. Is there a source to tap into in the front trunk or do you run a dedicated line...if so how heavy?

A member offered to send my the Renegade directions, hopefully they will be clear. Sounds like a need to run a 10 gauge wire back to the battery with a relay?

I would really love to see pictures of your V-8 914 front end so see what kind of setup you did for valance and cutting the bumper! I'm good on the fender cuts.

I made a lot of progress yesterday. I made all the cuts in the front trunk for the dual fan radiator and exhaust holes, the cut for the larger dizzy, removed the proportional valve and installed a tee, hung all four Renegade motor mounts, installed the rear konis with 200lb springs, prepped the engine compartment. That took longer than I hoped. Next step, bolt up one of my sideshifters to the chevy 305 and drop it in. I also picked up from a local trunk company all the green striped hose and clamps for the cooling. I have to go back to work for a rest, then attack it agan.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 29 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here are some pics I have of various cars...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wes42
post May 29 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,013

I just saw your thread.....Good Luck with your installation, You will love it!

And as for everyone who thinks it is a tight fit...Well, in some places it is, but mostly it goes in just fine. Surprisingly the big stuff goes right in, it's all the little things that will eat up your time and money.

There are lots of things to learn along the way, and it will be a love/hate relationship for awhile, but once you get the bugs all out.....Well, you'll just be grinning every time you drive it!

Watch out for my mistake....Keep the HP to less than 300!! I hate having to modulate the power with my right foot. This is like having a shifter kart for the street.

Oh.....and have you given ant thought to the tranny and higher ratios? If you haven't, you will. Don't worry, you really can mod it yourself.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/131811953jvkZCJ

Wes
+Quote Post
wes42
post May 29 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:21 AM) *

And as for everyone who thinks it is a tight fit...Well, in some places it is, but mostly it goes in just fine. Surprisingly the big stuff goes right in, it's all the little things that will eat up your time and money.

There are lots of things to learn along the way, and it will be a love/hate relationship for awhile, but once you get the bugs all out.....Well, you'll just be grinning every time you drive it!

Watch out for my mistake....Keep the HP to less than 300!! I hate having to modulate the power with my right foot. This is like having a shifter kart for the street.

Oh.....and have you given ant thought to the tranny and higher ratios? If you haven't, you will. Don't worry, you really can mod it yourself.

Wes

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wes42
post May 29 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:21 AM) *

Wes

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 29 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 897

MAS

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post May 29 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 29 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Here are some pics I have of various cars...

HEY!! that's my car!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post May 29 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #19

Here is my front end. With Renegades lower valence.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post May 29 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #20

Just a question...are those jackstands sitting on coaster dollies? Be careful it does not fall on you........ stationary jackstands are one thing...when they become a rolling jackstand..I dunno...scary! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 AM