Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing a V-8...a few questions, Progress thread & 914 makeover
michaelt55
post Aug 2 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #101

Graduate of Life's experiences

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,753
Region Association: None

I have a GT lid also. Tell me if it makes that much difference in cooling? If it makes a 5 degree difference I am swapping mine out.

Michael
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Aug 3 2008, 01:20 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 9,090
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 1 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Sounds good Mark! Dual tips fill it perfectly. Wish I was close by so we could race. Of course my car would need to be working right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Hey Mark,

Good to see you are still at it, your car will be a champ in no time.

What's the verdict with Jamies Car ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Are we going to see a new V-8 thread for him??

Keep us posted,

I did a local " Porsches on the Peir " last week in Pt Angles Wa.

when I pulled up with all the 993', Boxters, Caymans, and 930"s all's I saw was nostrils' then they warmed up a bit to allow me to partcipate.
Attached Image

Talk to you soon,

Tony

+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Aug 3 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #103

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Very nice Mark! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 4 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #104

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Aug 2 2008, 11:04 AM) *

I have a GT lid also. Tell me if it makes that much difference in cooling? If it makes a 5 degree difference I am swapping mine out.
Michael

Michael...I really don't hava any comparsion temps. When I saw how much heat the motor was cranking out, I immediately built the GT grill. I have a laser temp gauge, it would be interesting to see what kind of temps the engine compartment runs. I was waiting for my brakes to arrive, so I never drove the car much with the reg. lid. Both Jamie and I are interested in ceramic coating our headers for just this reason.
Mark
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 4 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #105

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Aug 3 2008, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 1 2008, 11:30 PM) *

Sounds good Mark! Dual tips fill it perfectly. Wish I was close by so we could race. Of course my car would need to be working right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Hey Mark,

Good to see you are still at it, your car will be a champ in no time.

What's the verdict with Jamies Car ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Are we going to see a new V-8 thread for him??

Keep us posted,

I did a local " Porsches on the Peir " last week in Pt Angles Wa.

when I pulled up with all the 993', Boxters, Caymans, and 930"s all's I saw was nostrils' then they warmed up a bit to allow me to partcipate.

Talk to you soon,
Tony

I love the pier picture...classic! So you sponsored the event and you were the only 914...too funny. Jamie's car is coming along...he seems like he's getting a handle on the whole overheating bit.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 4 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #106

Love these little cars!

Well my Summer is almost over...back to work in a week. Work is really going to cut into my play time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Did a little work...
Intalled a Holley Blue electric pump and regulator. I had read they tend to be a bit noisy..that's an understatement. I'm not to sure I'm going to keep it. I even took extra care mounting it on the old 75 fuel pump inspection plate and separated it from the body of the car with a thick bead of butle. The noise is not acceptable.
Attached Image Attached Image

Next, I installed a set of Dr. Evil's axle bolts with stainless wire. I'll feel a little better now...read too many threads of axle catastrophies with the bolts loosening up.

Finally, "Did I ever tell you how much I hate to work on fiberglass?' I'll take metal work any day. Anyway...rear valance is now sweet and ready for paint.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Aug 4 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 9,090

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 4 2008, 06:35 PM) *

Well my Summer is almost over...back to work in a week. Work is really going to cut into my play time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Did a little work...
Intalled a Holley Blue electric pump and regulator. I had read they tend to be a bit noisy..that's an understatement. I'm not to sure I'm going to keep it. I even took extra care mounting it on the old 75 fuel pump inspection plate and separated it from the body of the car with a thick bead of butle. The noise is not acceptable.

Next, I installed a set of Dr. Evil's axle bolts with stainless wire. I'll feel a little better now...read too many threads of axle catastrophies with the bolts loosening up.

Finally, "Did I ever tell you how much I hate to work on fiberglass?' I'll take metal work any day. Anway...rear valance is now sweet and ready for paint.
Attached Image

Hi Mark, It wasn't my show on the Peir, it was a PCA event, But yep I was the only 914.

On the topic of the electric fuel pump, I installed a Carter pump up front like yours. I did try to use the supplied rubber gromets and mounting brackets, and it is still prety noisy, until the engine starts then you cant hear it.

Try using a few rubber pads between the bracket and cover plate, then another rubber plate between the cover plate and front wall. It may help.

The Install looks great, and I like the regulator with the gauge, Where did you get it ?
Your rear valance and Exhaust tips look cool. I will be checking my CVbolts when I get home first thing.

Tony

+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 5 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #108

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Aug 4 2008, 10:00 PM) *

The Install looks great, and I like the regulator with the gauge, Where did you get it ?
Tony

Tony...the Holley regulator is sold at all the usual places, i.e Jeggs. The standard regulator has one in and two outs...use one for a gauge.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Aug 31 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #109

Love these little cars!

Work has really been getting in the way of getting back to my project... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Have been able to do a few things. First, I replaced my custom oil pan with a chrome stock oil pan which allowed me to use a stock sideshift rod. Now my car shifts fantasitcally...no more oil pan interference.

Well, I finally had time to build my front end grill. I had just mocked-up a temp grill to get the car running. While I was at the WCR2008 I met a guy (Jerry) who had used a Nissan 350Z grill to customize his rengegade cooling pass through on the front bumper. I knew then what I wanted.

With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.Attached Image

It took a bit of work to make it fit since I'm a perfectionist, but I'm pleased with the way it came out.
Here's a before and after....
Attached Image
Little by little it's all coming together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 31 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #110

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Hey Mark that definately looks better than your get you by one. I can't remember what color you are painting your car. So I am not sure if I like the chrome look yet. I do like the black look on the grills myself. Still until I see it once your car is painted I will reserve judgment.

Having said all that that grill looks like the way to go. It does tie in really well with the fog light grill. Glad to know you got something out of WCR besides the helping me work on my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I'll be looking to buy one of those grills for myself. although on my car the grill will be all black if I have to paint it myself. With my front being black I think the chrome or polished would stand out to much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 1 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #111

Love these little cars!

Chrome or Black? Jamie...Do you think the chrome with look better on a black flared car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
I've seen both the black and chrome on cars and I tend to lean toward the chrome. I don't care for the chrome fogs with the black grills as much. If you go black fogs and black grill that would look good...I think. The color of the car has alot to do with how it looks.

I'm going to paint my car the marathon blue metalic...the chrome I believe will look good...if not, I'll paint or power coat them black. You can always go to black not the other way around as easily.

On another note, did I mention I took my car down to the public scales an had it weighed? With the targa top and not installed pieces of chrome, the car weighs right at 2360lbs. Someday, I would like to weigh my stock 74.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 1 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #112

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Chrome or Black? Jamie...Do you think the chrome with look better on a black flared car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I think the chrome would look good on a black flared car in my garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Did you go pick up my car yet you dog? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 2 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

Well, well, well. Mr. Mark. You dirty- son -of -a gun. I don't appreciate you sneaking up on me with this 914 monster you have created!!! I must say, you are quite a craftsman. We got to get together one day and hit Angeles Crest Forest. You'll love it, and really, really, appreciate the work you have just done. Congratulations, you did it ! the car looks greeeaaat !!!!
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 2 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #114

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 09:34 AM) *

I've seen both the black and chrome on cars and I tend to lean toward the chrome. I don't care for the chrome fogs with the black grills as much. If you go black fogs and black grill that would look good...I think. The color of the car has alot to do with how it looks.

I'm going to paint my car the marathon blue metalic...the chrome I believe will look good...if not, I'll paint or power coat them black. You can always go to black not the other way around as easily.

On another note, did I mention I took my car down to the public scales an had it weighed? With the targa top and not installed pieces of chrome, the car weighs right at 2360lbs. Someday, I would like to weigh my stock 74.

Mark, Im sure you weighd the car with a full tank of gas, correct ? If so, than it is interesting for me to point out that my car weighs 180 pounds more than your car. My rims and adapters are killing me !!!!
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 2 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #115

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 1 2008, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 1 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Mark, Im sure you weighd the car with a full tank of gas, correct ? If so, than it is interesting for me to point out that my car weighs 180 pounds more than your car. My rims and adapters are killing me !!!!

Hey, I'm glad to see you are posting your car over here...what a sweet ride. I still love your rims!

The car was weighed with almost a full tank. Don't forget you have all your stereo stuff...that's alot of extra. Plus your diamond plate adds-up. You should weigh one of your rims, tire with an adapter just for curiosity.

Once again...your car looks great.
Mark
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 2 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #116

Hey Mark, one thing I meant to mention to you, I saw in one of your posts you were asking about the radiator fan being on all of the time, I also read in a book to have it on for a while after the car is turned off to prevent the valves from warping (or lifters). Anyways, that is a good reason to have a "fan switch" added......and the weighing the rim and adapter idea is a good idea !!!
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 2 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #117

Love these little cars!

Now that I am actually driving my car some, I realize the fan is acutally cycling on an off maintaing the car somewhere between 180-190. And actually the way it is wired, the fans stay on for 1-2 minutes after the car is turned off. However in my mind, I really don't understand how that could possibly help the engine since no water is circulating (typical Renedgade setup). Now if you had an electrical pump it would make more sense. All I know is it works perfectly...I'm happy.

I took the car to a local paint shop to get an estimate for a base coat clear coat nice paint job. Even after all the work, they still wanted $2400...ouch. I know my color but I'm not positive how to go with the paint. I'm thinking satin black on all the valances, but the bumpers are the stumbling block...body color or sating black is the question???
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Sep 3 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #118

It's funny, no matter how much you bust your butt and get a perfect prep for these paint shop guys, they always find a way to say your work isn't good enough and they have so much more to do, for more money. You are in the game with doing the work yourself !!!! But if you don't feel like it, I am more than sure you can get one of these guys here to do it in thier own garage !!!.........I remember reading the fan staying on is to cool of the coolant, so it is just not sitting there at the high boiling temp. after the car is just turned off........I think the picture on the right hand side will work if that bumper is plastic or fiberglass and is not going to fade or peel. I can also tell you, a lot of sport cars also go with the mesh the same color as the car, kind of gives it a "euro roadster" look, I think. Just remember, if you are going to have that chrome grill, you are going to have to bring out more chrome on your car and rims IMO. My mesh is a smaller area and you have a longer, more attractive mesh, with that said, I am considering spraying mine black, but if you can zoom in on it here, it might help you to see the point I am trying to make.......Wait a minuite, I''m confused, didn't you just say you were going to paint the car Marathon blue metallic ??? Hey I've got an idea, if you go with the chrome look, I think one of those chrome luggage racks on the back trunk would compliment it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 3 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #119

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

CHROME!! jerry broke the code with the z grill.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Oct 4 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #120

Love these little cars!

It's been over a month since I posted on my v-8 project thread...work, work, work!
Well, I had made a decision a month ago that is was just about time to paint the car...so I had to decide if I was going to make any major changes before it was painted. We all know what happens when you paint a car then have to do some major work...yep scratch, dent, oops. Anyway, I decided I wanted to go to 5 lug....yeah, yeah, I know--I wanted more wheel and tire choices.

So the last month I have accumulated the parts to convert the front over to 911 spindles, but I chose to keep my B&M calipers and porterfield pads--they worked awesome. Also picked-up new ball joints, Attached Imageand a turbo tie rod kit Attached Imagewhile I was in there. Thanks to another teener, I was also able to source a set of Boge Koni reds strut inserts for the front as well.Attached Image

For the rears, THOMAS drilled a set of hubs and pressed in studs for me. Attached Image I knew to freeze the new bearings, to install them Attached Image (not my freezer pic...no evidence for the wife LOL)., but all the threads that I had read, no one had mentioned about freezing the hubs as well when it was time to pull them into the bearings. Once again 914world to the rescue.
And after a mishap with the 5 lug drilling of my 4 lug zimmerman rotors, I went and picked-up a new set of 6 rotors. Attached Image I'll go ahead a drill the two centering holes for the small screws in the correct position before I install them (sixes have these two holes in different spots on the hubs).

The wheels I picked-up are a matched set of 1978 fuchs, 16 X 6 and 16 X 7s that are darn near perfect...and fully polished. The caps I bought from ebay and a set of pollished alloy lugs came from AutoAtlanta (still waiting for them).

For tires, I bought a set of BF Goodrich 205/45/16 Z rated sports from Costco. Great deal, they gave me an instant 60 dollar rebate from BF Goodrich and the tires ended up costing me 381 out the door balanced and all--which I felt was a great deal for a quality tire. Tip: Had to bring the rims in and say the tires were going on a 911 to get Costco to mount them (policy...only mount stock tires) LOL.

Hopefully the last of the odd ball pieces will arrive today so I can put it all back together...who want to be the lugs won't show-up?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:50 PM