Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing a V-8...a few questions, Progress thread & 914 makeover
marks914
post Jan 26 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jan 25 2009, 07:32 PM) *

That makes sense, Fliping means moving the position on the " drive and Idler" along with the order on the cluster. Right?
So when I get there, which will be some day soon, where and what do I look to buy for the 5th gear?
I do agree 1st gear is useless with a V-8, but I do use it for the uphill starts, parking lot, slow stuff. I know it is very fragile but do you really want to lock it out?

T

That is right on the swap and flip
For a taller 5th look for an H or HA,
Do you want to lock out 1st? Do whatever you want, its your car.
Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 26 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #162

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I personally like having first available. I am very careful using it though. Nice to have in stop & go traffic. I haven't done a dang thing to my v8 in months. IT has been beautiful & sunny out. Enough that I am tempted to take a drive. Then I remember I literally have no heat & 41 degrees just aint cutting it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Guess it's good that my master cylinder is leaking & I got no brakes. If I fixed it I'd be ou there freezing my ass off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jan 27 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #163

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

To lock out first or not?

For me, using 1st gear occasionally & responsibly on acceleration is not really the issue. Since I'm the only one that drives my car, I don't see a problem with leaving it...Could be really handy in stop and go traffic or up a serious incline in stopped traffic.

However, my biggest concern is accidentally downshifting into 1st....going from 4th to 3rd can easily translate into disaster if you downshift from 4th to 1st by mistake. One might say "what idiot" would do that...no one with a v8 intentionally, but with the loosy-goosy 901 shift mechanism it's not that difficult. One slip like this and and your tranny would probably implode...then you have real problems.
Attached Image
Someday when I hit the lottery, I will add a Renshift on for sure...then it's probably no longer an issue of accidentally hitting first. I tried to see if one could put a "lock out" on first gear, like you can in reverse but couldn't find anyone that said it could be done. I think having a Renshift with R and 1st locked out at all times would be perfect...the driver has to intentionally unlock those gears when moving into them.

Dr. Evil had a great article how to semi-permanently lock out first inside the transmission. I know some guys literally remove the 1st gear...not sure why though, perhaps just good insurance?
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 27 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #164

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 27 2009, 06:55 AM) *

To lock out first or not?

For me, using 1st gear occasionally & responsibly on acceleration is not really the issue. Since I'm the only one that drives my car, I don't see a problem with leaving it...Could be really handy in stop and go traffic or up a serious incline in stopped traffic.

However, my biggest concern is accidentally downshifting into 1st....going from 4th to 3rd can easily translate into disaster if you downshift from 4th to 1st by mistake. One might say "what idiot" would do that...no one with a v8 intentionally, but with the loosy-goosy 901 shift mechanism it's not that difficult. One slip like this and and your tranny would probably implode...then you have real problems.
Attached Image
Someday when I hit the lottery, I will add a Renshift on for sure...then it's probably no longer an issue of accidentally hitting first. I tried to see if one could put a "lock out" on first gear, like you can in reverse but couldn't find anyone that said it could be done. I think having a Renshift with R and 1st locked out at all times would be perfect...the driver has to intentionally unlock those gears when moving into them.

Dr. Evil had a great article how to semi-permanently lock out first inside the transmission. I know some guys literally remove the 1st gear...not sure why though, perhaps just good insurance?

With that same concern in mind, I believe it's one of our local 914 owners that replaced the springs on the R - 1 gate with a stronger set springs that are located in the shifter tower. He reports that after the mod you really have to want to put it into first, and he has a lot more comfort level after the spring swap.

Andys
+Quote Post
dkjens
post Jan 28 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 9,785

Where does one find an H or HA gear set (which is higher?), does anybody make them (new)?
How high is a switched 2nd gear?
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jan 28 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #166

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

someone around here knows where the list of transaxle case numbers are. they can reveal where you may find the gear sets you're looking for.
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Jan 29 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #167

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

"H" = 19:32 (0.594), "HB"= 19:31 (0.613), '"HA" = 20:32 (0.625)

"H" -
902/00 4spd '65-'66 911/912
902/01 4spd '67-'68 912
902/04 4spd
902/14 4spd

"HA" -
901/53 5spd
901/54 5spd
901/78 5spd
901/79 5spd
901/83 5spd
901/84 5psd

"HB" -
901/06 4spd
901/10 4spd
901/12 4spd
905/00 sporto
905/01 sporto
905/13 sporto

These are all 2nd gear sets. Some transmissions (type "914") have the 2nd gear fixed on the drivehaft and is, thus, not removable. The 904 driveshaft had no fixed 2nd gear and was splined to accomodate different gears.

Technically, although referred to as a type "901" gearbox, the transmission supplied in the 914 is a type "914", for mid-engined application. Look at the numbers stamped on the spline of the case. The type "901" box is for the tail draggers.

If you decide to turn your car into a 4 speed or only use 1st gear as a crawler, you might consider getting an early 4 speed shift knob . . . .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Feb 3 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #168

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 31 2008, 11:05 PM) *
With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.

Beautiful car!!! So beautiful that I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I borrow your 350z grill idea?

I was planning on using a billet grill from a chevy truck, but it's looking like it won't fit very well. I did find a 350z grill that had 13 bars instead of your 16 bars to give it a little different look. I'm mostly concerned about how well did the curvature match the 914 bumper. What did you have to do to make that grill fit? It looks like the top bar on the 350z grill is shorter on the ends than the lower bars. Did you cut the rest of the bars to match in length? How did you mount it?

Thanks,
Sean
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 3 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #169

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 3 2009, 04:56 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Aug 31 2008, 11:05 PM) *
With a little luck, I came across a new 350z grill on ebay and walked away with it for $51 with shipping.

Beautiful car!!! So beautiful that I was hoping that you wouldn't mind if I borrow your 350z grill idea?

I was planning on using a billet grill from a chevy truck, but it's looking like it won't fit very well. I did find a 350z grill that had 13 bars instead of your 16 bars to give it a little different look. I'm mostly concerned about how well did the curvature match the 914 bumper. What did you have to do to make that grill fit? It looks like the top bar on the 350z grill is shorter on the ends than the lower bars. Did you cut the rest of the bars to match in length? How did you mount it?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Sean,
The curvature of the 350z grill is pretty darn close to that of our front bumpers. You will need to shorten both ends and remove I as recall a couple of bars on each side of the width. This stuff cuts like butter with a cutting wheel. Just tape where you are going to cut so you don't accidentally mar-up the area next to the cuts. After cutting, use a DA or sander with fine sand paper to smooth the cut....looks perfect. The recesses of my grill bars is black, so I used a small paint brush and dabbed the ends to make it looked finished...can't even tell.

I welded a supports from a piece of an extra engine lid across the center of the bumper on either side. The grill comes with brackets on the backside and they will bolt to those brackets I welded on. I used some fiberglass spacers from the hardware store to space the grill flush.

The ends of the grill bars also flex easily. You will find the ends curve a bit downward for the 350z...just flex them straight to match the 914 horn grill pattern.

My buddy did the same for his v8 914 and went with black grill and black bumper for the stealth look....looks very nice as well if the bling is not your style.

Here is a picture of my painted bumper version still hanging in the garage....if your interested I would sell you that one ready to go (primered)...

Mark
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Feb 3 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #170

Thanks for the info. I think I might as well cut up one of my spare bumpers. It seems like a fairly easy project for me to practice my welding skills on. I think I will go for chromefor now on my black bumper and decide how it looks. Now I just need to decide on the 16 bar (better protection) or the 13 bar (hopefully looks closer to the fog light grills). I'll let you know if I change my mind about the bumper you offered.

Thanks again.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 3 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #171

914 Guru

Here is a pic of mine using the 350z grill. I gotta admit mine is held in place at the moment with Zip ties (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Still even without my valance I think it turned out nice. Really is pretty dead on with the foglight grills for spcing between ribs

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Feb 4 2009, 04:09 AM
Post #172

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Here is a pic of mine using the 350z grill. I gotta admit mine is held in place at the moment with Zip ties (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Still even without my valance I think it turned out nice. Really is pretty dead on with the foglight grills for spcing between ribs

Yours looks to be the 13 bar version. Do you remember where you bought yours from?
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 4 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #173

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Feb 4 2009, 02:09 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Yours looks to be the 13 bar version. Do you remember where you bought yours from?

Trex grills are high quality grills but can be had very cheap on ebay, or buy them direct from a retailer...several people sell them. Check around first...I found quite a few different prices. I bought mine new on ebay for $41.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 4 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Mark/JRust,

I seen they list a 02, 03, 04, 05 350Z grill application separately from a 06, 07 application. Are they in fact different? Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Andys
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 4 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #175

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(andys @ Feb 4 2009, 12:45 PM) *

Mark/JRust,

I seen they list a 02, 03, 04, 05 350Z grill application separately from a 06, 07 application. Are they in fact different? Which one should I get?

Thanks,

Andys

I purchased the 2006, I can't speak to the other years. You could always call Nissan or someone who sells the Trex grills and ask. Check the part number for a 2006 Trex grill against the other years.
Sorry no help.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 4 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #176

914 Guru

Seems like mine was an 05 but I don't remember. Been a while too so I doubt it still shows in my que? I'm sure Mark's 06 is the way to go. His memory is better than mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 5 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #177

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Thanks to one of our member vendors, Raul, I was able to install his reproduction door sills...a nice finishing touch.

One of the things that has been bothering me is the noise level at an idle and the resonation in the cab below 2,000 rpm. Currently, I have new turbo mufflers with the pipes going up and over the axles after dumping out of the headers. There isn't much room to play with for larger mufflers or anything else....so I started doing a lot of reading on the net about sound waves that accompany exhaust gasses. I didn't want to kill to many horses but wanted it quieter.

As a result, I decided to have a crossover pipe, sometimes called an H pipe installed between the two exhaust branches. There is a lot more to it that just welding in a pipe that connects the two, length, size of pipe, and position along the exhaust route all play into it. Now on most cars there is plenty of room...not is a v-8 914! My crossover pipe begins by branching off the elbow on the high side of exhaust pipe that goes over the axles. It then heads towards the rear of the car above the turbo mufflers across the rear of the car and then back up the other side. A junction was placed in the middle of the rear of the car so when I need to work on one side of the engine etc, I can disconnect and drop the exhaust either the left or right sides.

Bottom line, what a huge difference the pipe made...it did exactly what I had hoped for! My exhaust is still throaty, but mellowed and the resonation is gone at all rpms...that was a bigge. I could not tell any performance change, but the car sounds sweet and perfect for driving now...even my wife will come along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

First of all - the car is simply beautiful. I love the color with the polished fuchs - even the black euro emblem - great total package.

I am havinf a hard time picturing your exhaust set -up, even with the pics. I am very interested in it. Anyway you could post a diagram?

Thanks!
Scott S
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 5 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #178

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 5 2009, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 PM) *

One of the things that has been bothering me is the noise level at an idle and the resonation...

As a result, I decided to have a crossover pipe, sometimes called an H pipe installed between the two exhaust branches. There is a lot more to it that just welding in a pipe that connects the two, length, size of pipe, and position along the exhaust route all play into it. Now on most cars there is plenty of room...not is a v-8 914! My crossover pipe begins by branching off the elbow on the high side of exhaust pipe that goes over the axles. It then heads towards the rear of the car above the turbo mufflers across the rear of the car and then back up the other side. A junction was placed in the middle of the rear of the car so when I need to work on one side of the engine etc, I can disconnect and drop the exhaust either the left or right sides.

Bottom line, what a huge difference the pipe made...it did exactly what I had hoped for! My exhaust is still throaty, but mellowed and the resonation is gone at all rpms...that was a bigge. I could not tell any performance change, but the car sounds sweet and perfect for driving now...even my wife will come along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

First of all - the car is simply beautiful. I love the color with the polished fuchs - even the black euro emblem - great total package.

I am havinf a hard time picturing your exhaust set -up, even with the pics. I am very interested in it. Anyway you could post a diagram?

Thanks!
Scott S

Thanks for the compliments Scott. Hopefully this diagram will make a little more sense...hard to visualize. I just used an engine pic off the net for illustration purposes. The 914 engine is a small block chevy with a 901.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 8 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #179

Love these little cars!

Had sometime today, so I headed for the garage.
I have begun to install AC on my car, although I still have to figure-out a compressor bracket and pulley. Couple years ago I horse traded parts with a real nice guy I had met at the Rustmeet in Riverside and ended up with an AC system that looked new inside and out....obviously stored for 30 + years.
Attached Image

Here's one that I would highly suggest for all 914 v-8 motors. My motor is a bit cold blooded and doesn't like a slow idle for the first 3 minutes until it gets warmed-up. Once warmed-up, it just purrs at 600 rpm. Even with the autochoke and fast idle cam, the motor needs a faster warm-up rpm when it is cold. After some reading, I knew what I needed: An Edelbrock Idle Compensator. Normally these are for kicking-up the idle when the AC is on, I wired it so I can manually kick the idle up until the motor is warm, and then manually kick the idle down when I want. It also will kick in if the AC is turned on. It's quite slick, and works awesome.
The kit is between 100-120 at parts stores. After I bought mine I came across a guy who sold me an extra for considerably less, so if you want one I'll make you a deal!
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Feb 8 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #180

Love these little cars!

Last but not least, I picked-up a NOS 4 speed leather stitched gear knob for a teener for $15. My tranny is still a 5 speed but I never use 1st anymore, so it's the pattern I use and will ultimately end-up with when I rebuild my transmission and install the h gear I picked-up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:57 PM