Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing a V-8...a few questions, Progress thread & 914 makeover
jimkelly
post May 29 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #21

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

throttle cables - what are you guys using - stock or custom?

how are you routing it?

i am stuggling with this.

Jim

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marks914
post May 29 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

Here is mine, an extended terry cable, it came with the attachment to the bellcrank as well. Mine is 18" longer, but you could get away with 12"
Mark

(IMG:http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/39860/2690622020057582025S600x600Q85.jpg)
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post May 29 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

I currently using the STOCK throttle cable pulling up the passenger side with a holley running backwards.
I tried a edelbrock, as you have, and also used the stock cable on the driver side and a plate attached to the throttle lever, and pulled from the low side of the acrb. I took the carb off to rebuild it, so no pics available. (didn't seem smooth, but I didn't get a chance to play with the spring tension.)
If I ever have to buy a new cable, i'll probably get a custom.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 29 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #24

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

Well, I came home tonight after work and felt like turning a wrench so I headed for the garage. I went ahead and bolted a sideshifter up to the chevy v-8. I was glad to see once I had pulled the tailshifter which was on there, I saw the a new 9 inch two stage Sachs clutch...yes, the PO had purchased the upgrade clutch package.

Things were moving along, so I figured I would try to see how the motor was going to fit. That was easier than installing a 4! I feel like I'm making progress...the motor is now bolted in place and clearances are good...by pulleys, sides, and the lid will close. I will have to cut the brace on the lid. Anyway, that's enough for today.

Oh...I did notice that the housing that bolts to the water pump was not tight and on closer inspection was just loosely attached with no gasket. Will I find that gasket at FLAPS?...or do I need to source it from Renegade. I guess I could make one as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post May 29 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If I remember correctly the gasket you need is off of a 70's big block V-8 Chrysler water pump. That should at least get you close.
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post May 30 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 29 2008, 10:38 PM) *

Well, I came home tonight after work and felt like turning a wrench so I headed for the garage. I went ahead and bolted a sideshifter up to the chevy v-8. I was glad to see once I had pulled the tailshifter which was on there, I saw the a new 9 inch two stage Sachs clutch...yes, the PO had purchased the upgrade clutch package.

Things were moving along, so I figured I would try to see how the motor was going to fit. That was easier than installing a 4! I feel like I'm making progress...the motor is now bolted in place and clearances are good...by pulleys, sides, and the lid will close. I will have to cut the brace on the lid. Anyway, that's enough for today.

Oh...I did notice that the housing that bolts to the water pump was not tight and on closer inspection was just loosely attached with no gasket. Will I find that gasket at FLAPS?...or do I need to source it from Renegade. I guess I could make one as well.

The gasket should be a Fel-Pro 11730

Jerry
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post May 30 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

The stock cable works fine if mounted correct. I did make the cable mount alot higher in order to open the carb all the way.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 1 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #28

Love these little cars!

More progress...installed exhaust, prepped the front trunk and installed the radiator. I pulled the valve cover for fun to take a peek...brand new built 305 with roller rockers to boot. Today, I hope to run the coolant lines and reinstall the gas tank.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 2 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #29

Love these little cars!

After cooking breakfast and some family time...I headed for the garage. Today I ran all the coolant lines under the car, hung the coolant resevoir can, a overflow jug, installed the gas tank and put the front end stuff back together.

I going to need some help on the cutting of the front bumper. I have a very nice early bumper with good chrome...will a plasma cutter cut an opening without screwing up the bumper? I want to put somekind of grill in the opening?? I see renegade offers a spoiler, still looking for options.

I will also need to either cut or buy a dual opening rear valance. OK...enough babble, here's some pics.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 2 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #30

Love these little cars!

radiator lines & front trunk compartment (gas tank, etc)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 2 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #31

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

which one of the cars in your signature is that? nice progress. narrow body car right? what a sleeper!!! haha.

k
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 2 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #32

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 1 2008, 11:55 PM) *

which one of the cars in your signature is that? nice progress. narrow body car right? what a sleeper!!! haha.

k

It's the 75 that I stripped down and now is primer. Was going to put Jamie's motor in, but decided to go to the darkside instead. No flairs, atleast not right now. Should be a kick to drive. It will have a built, high reving 305 that should push 300 hp...we'll see.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 2 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #33

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

does your engine require premium fuel? nice to have a big parts stash to gleen the nice stuff from isn't it. 'like money in the bank honey'

k
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 2 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #34

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2008, 12:19 AM) *

does your engine require premium fuel? nice to have a big parts stash to gleen the nice stuff from isn't it. 'like money in the bank honey'

k

It will run on regular gas. Good parts are like gold, one of the few things that our economic slow down hasn't effected. Although, I know I will regret selling those 2ltr stainless...they look like they're almost new.

Funny thing about working on this project now, I acutually have to use some of my american tools...that was weird the first time I had to reach for a 9/16th wrench instead of a 13mm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I guess that's part of the darkside.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 5 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #35

Love these little cars!

Moving along...
Took all the brakes off and getting ready to replace all the rotors, pads and bearings. Probably going to put BMW calipers on the front for now.

I'm ready to cut my front bumper...ouch, it's really too nice to cut (early). I lookiing for tips and tricks for cutting the bumper hole and adding a grill to it. I've seen a few out there....how did you do it?

It's also time to lengthen the sideshifter rod. I've read about ideas of adding 1/1/4 inch up to 2 inches in length depending on your end goal. I'm not to sure if just some length is going to work for me. My oil pan is not the stock shape. It's some special pan that the PO had installed when the motor was built. It's shallower and has a wider girth...which may protrude too much for the curve of the rod????
I'll post a picture...it's a bit dark...I'll replace later with a better one.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 6 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Don't ruin a nice early front bumper! Find another used one better suited to cut on. You cut my bumper I'll kill you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) No seriously I would try to find another bumper to modify. Those early ones are hard to find in that shape.

If you really want to do something brake wise you need to go 5-lug. That is a pretty easy swap & gives you more brake options! You also have a much larger Wheel base to choose from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

As far as extending your rod I get a bunch of emails in my spam everyday about this. I can forward you some f that wil help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 9 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #37

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 6 2008, 08:47 AM) *

Don't ruin a nice early front bumper! Find another used one better suited to cut on. You cut my bumper I'll kill you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) No seriously I would try to find another bumper to modify. Those early ones are hard to find in that shape.

As far as extending your rod I get a bunch of emails in my spam everyday about this. I can forward you some f that wil help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

OK...smartass, I did lengthen my rod yesterday, without the help of magic pills. I cut the the rod on the straight section, threaded a good chunk of "all thread" which fit nicely. Adjusted length to be 1 /1/4 inch longer, checked to make sure fit good and then welded it into place. My wife is getting use to her new yard art...had to paint it!

Oh yeah, I put those beautiful early chrome bumpers on my 74 driver, removing the painted ones...which I liked, but will have no problem cutting on for the v-8 project.

Also fabbed a nice throttle bracket...getting closer.

And, replaced all the rotors, pads, and installed new stainless lines. I might drive it a bit to determine how radical or not I need to go with the brakes etc.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 9 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 9 2008, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 6 2008, 08:47 AM) *

OK...smartass, I did lengthen my rod yesterday, without the help of magic pills. I cut the the rod on the straight section, threaded a good chunk of "all thread" which fit nicely. Adjusted length to be 1 /1/4 inch longer, checked to make sure fit good and then welded it into place. My wife is getting use to her new yard art...had to paint it!

Oh yeah, I put those beautiful early chrome bumpers on my 74 driver, removing the painted ones...which I liked, but will have no problem cutting on for the v-8 project.

Also fabbed a nice throttle bracket...getting closer.

And, replaced all the rotors, pads, and installed new stainless lines. I might drive it a bit to determine how radical or not I need to go with the brakes etc.

Man I forgot all about my smart ass post! LMAO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Reading it tonight
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 10 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #39

Love these little cars!

A little more progress today...the focus was bumper updates or should I say "bumper backdate."
I drilled the appropriate holes for the early bumpers (front and rear). I drilled and mounted early fog lights. Using Engman's late bumper block-offs (another great member product) I capped the late bumper shock holes. The engman block-off plates were designed for the fronts, but I made them work on the back holels has well. I then mounted my 74 bumpers on the car to check for fit...yes. When I get around to it...I'll pull the bumpers back off and weld-up the titty holes. Got luck today...everything went right.

The front bumper still also needs to be modified for air flow...haven't decided what kind of opening I want to make...or the size of the opening. I've been looking and there's quite a variety out there. I'm really not sure how small I can go and still have efficient cooling here in the hot valley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
I really like the last picture's breather opening...but looks pretty small compared to others.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 10 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Looking good Mark! What color are you planning on painting it?

Making progress on mine too. Made a slight miscalculation on my clutch (needed a 200mm not a 215). Ended up ordering a new PP & clutch from Kennedy. Should be here thursday. Then I just need to put my tranny in & I am good to go. Oh & bleed my brakes
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:36 AM