Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing a V-8...a few questions, Progress thread & 914 makeover
computers4kids
post Aug 15 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #221

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

xxx

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 6 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #222

Love these little cars!

In two weeks I will be attending Dr. Evil's So Cal transmission clinic to install an H gear instead of my stock 5th for better freeway cruising. I'll be bringing three transmissions, two from parts cars and one from my v8 914.

I figured it would be easier to just pull the motor since I wanted to also install my air conditioning. With all all mocking-up of the compressor mounts to put the compressor to be driven off the alternator, I wanted to make sure I got it right with everything lining up properly. The load on the motor should be more balanced having the ac an alternator on one side and the water pump on the other.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 6 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #223

Love these little cars!

side view

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 6 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #224

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow it's my old buddy Mark. I thought you were all done with your car. LOL

Funny I dropped my motor too. I am going to the good DR's PNW clinic this next weekend. I am taking a total of 3 transmissions too. I am adding an "h" gear to my v8 tranny too! Flipping crazy man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

We need to talk man. Big doings at the Rust compound (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 21 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #225

Love these little cars!

While I had my motor out, I figured it was a good time to install my fuse panel upgrade. Excellent workmanship, it fit beautifully and was very well made. The only thing I wish was different was the fuse numbers are printed upside down...not a big deal. Well worth your time. Plan on an hour or two to take your time to install.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 21 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #226

Love these little cars!

I just got back from the So. CA Dr. Evil clinic...great fun, and I learned a lot. I ended-up with a real nice rebuild with a newly geared 5th gear...an "h" gear. The motor and transmission are already back in the car and it should be running in a day or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobBZn0m8x4

AC project is almost all done as well. I installed a nice parallel flow condensor, new barrier lines, new drier, expansion valve, safety switch, and like new DPD evaporator that I had been saving for years. Once I get the car running I will need to evacuate the system and then charge it up with R134.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 21 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #227

Love these little cars!

condenser and drier

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 21 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #228

Love these little cars!

closed back up

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 24 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #229

Member No.: 9,090

Looks sharp Mark, I like the fuse panel, where is it from?
Let me know how the new gearing works out.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) AC in a 914???? Take the top off for gods sake and drive faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I guess when you live where its 105* 4 months out of the year you need it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I just got back from working in Bellingham all week. I started my car to check for the dreaded noise. it started and ran like a champ. 60-65 psi oil press, I'll take her out on the road in the AM.

T
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 24 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #230

AC project is almost all done as well. I installed a nice parallel flow condensor, new barrier lines, new drier, expansion valve, safety switch, and like new DPD evaporator that I had been saving for years. Once I get the car running I will need to evacuate the system and then charge it up with R134.

I've got a 30 pounder of 134A in the garage, and a vacume pump with fresh oil.
Bring her up an I'll charge it up for free.
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Sep 25 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #231

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Sep 21 2009, 09:03 PM) *

While I had my motor out, I figured it was a good time to install my fuse panel upgrade. Excellent workmanship, it fit beautifully and was very well made. The only thing I wish was different was the fuse numbers are printed upside down...not a big deal. Well worth your time. Plan on an hour or two to take your time to install.

What, you don't work under your dash with your back on the seat and your legs sticking out the door? The numbers are perfect from that perspective! Removing the steering wheel helps, of course.

Can't wait to get my new fuse panel installed.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 26 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #232

Love these little cars!

Well, I installed my rebuilt 901 with the re-geared 5th "h" gear today...and low and behold it worked beautifully. No grinding, smooth shifting, and no funny noises! I even had left over parts...LOL, then of course one of my 901s became the bone yard for many...which was cool.

I can't believe how many rpm I carved off with the new h gear--somewhere around 500-700 at 65. I like to go to the Central Coast which is a 3 hour drive. That means my engine will have turned almost 100,000 less times in one trip. Thats' got to be a big plus in the gas mileage department. I was getting 20mpg, it will be interesting to see the mileage now. With 305 lbs of torque to the rear wheels there is no lag between 4th and 5th...perfect.

Dr. Evil thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Sep 26 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #233

[quote name='computers4kids' date='Sep 26 2009, 07:46 PM' post='1219016']
Well, I installed my rebuilt 901 with the re-geared 5th "h" gear today...and low and behold it worked beautifully. No grinding, smooth shifting, and no funny noises! I even had left over parts...LOL, then of course one of my 901s became the bone yard for many...which was cool.

I am truly jealous,
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

My trans will be my next project.

Mark is the man, I mean Marks car is the Sh-T.

Great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Nov 21 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #234

Love these little cars!

Decided to just update this thread a bit. I decided to install a stock radio in place of the modern stereo, but with a twist. The neat thing about this stock radio, it plays Internet music stations via my iphone or ipod beautifully. The inline jack that I plug into my iphone/ipod carries the music signal and charges the device at the same time. Here is a "how to" thread.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1257311673.jpg)
Other than the radio, I haven't done much to the car, except for driving it all over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ---quite a novel idea for a 914.
+Quote Post
Scatterbrain
post Nov 21 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #235

Member No.: 11,041

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 21 2009, 08:13 AM) *

Decided to just update this thread a bit. I decided to install a stock radio in place of the modern stereo, but with a twist. The neat thing about this stock radio, it plays Internet music stations via my iphone or ipod beautifully. The inline jack that I plug into my iphone/ipod carries the music signal and charges the device at the same time. Here is a "how to" thread.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1257311673.jpg)
Other than the radio, I haven't done much to the car, except for driving it all over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ---quite a novel idea for a 914.

I have had a great time reading this thread! I am starting my conversion as we speak and wanted to thank you for taking the time to post all your progress and solutions. Huge help for those of us who are converting to the "dark side"

Im still in rust removal, cut and paste mode. Thread gave me the little boost i needed to get my ass back to the shop and keep grinding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Thanks, Keith
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Nov 21 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #236

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 28 2009, 10:54 PM) *

That's a very nice looking little sleeper.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Exactly what I was thinking....stealth sleeper. VERY NICE JOB. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Mar 21 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #237

Love these little cars!

Well, a little over a year ago this v8 914 roared to life and made it to the WCR2009 in Irvine, CA. Haven't done much to it other than just enoying it...a whole year and never once stuck on jack stand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here we are with the WCR2010 only a couple months away, so I decided to do a few things to the project: Had the top painted, installed a new brass shift bushing and plastic console cover, and new bumper tops from 914rubber.com.

I had bought all the materials to blacken the recesses of the fuchs, but just couldn't get myself to do it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 20 2010, 10:04 AM
Post #238

Love these little cars!

Note to self.....It's been a long time since I've updated this thread--Well, it's been over 2 years since this project hit the road and I've been pretty much just enjoying the car as it is.

I can't believe how much I enjoy driving this car with the added hp. These cars are ideal for power infusions. I did have my stock wheel recovered and the pad re-stained by Dallas Custom Wheels, which turned out awesome.

Since I sold my automatic 914, I've been really thinking lately "what's next?" I really like the v8 teener the way it is, so I probably need to get another project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Mar 27 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #239

Love these little cars!

Gosh...it's been a long Winter! Finally had to do a few upgrades to the car to keep from going stir crazy.

I installed an MSD 6al with a rev limiter switch using the magnetic pickup in my HEi dizzy as the trigger. The ignition module in the early GM HEi were limited to about 4-5 amps and 3K rpm before the spark began to degrade. The MSD should give be a better burn at higher rpms as well as a smoother idle...we'll see.

The stock coil in the cap is new, and rated at about 43,000 volts. I haven't decided whether to go with a MSD in the cap coil, external blaster coil or might not even bother. I've read quite a bit and I'm not sure if I would see any benefits from a change with a 300hp chevy motor.

Spark plug gap. MSD says to begin around .035 and work up in increments to about .050 to find your best performance gap. Their thinking is the wider the gap the larger your spark will be to better ignite the chamber. Anyone have any thoughts on this??
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Mar 27 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #240

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Different beast, but I run the MSD6AL and Blaster coil on my 3.0 six. The 3.0 has a mag pick up already in the dizzy. I started at .035 plug gap, then did .040 and finally landed on .045. I didn't notice any difference at all. So I just left it at .045 because I was tired of pulling them out and It runs great. I do know that I run rich at idle (Webber 48's) but you would never know by looking at the plugs. The low rpm multispark really keeps the plugs clean.
Good Luck
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:10 AM