Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> valve adjustment, did my very first one
level914
post Jan 22 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,300

Just needed to tell someone that I did my very first valve adjustrment. My wife isn't very impressed but she doesn't know what was involved.

Following a threrad from a couple days ago I set them all to .005. I have a 76 2.0. If any body knows of a problem with this please let me know.

I know most of you probably do these adjustments all of the time, so it's no big deal. I'm just feeling super proud of myself and had to share it.

Anyway, I triple checked my work and no leaks through the new gaskets.

O.k. my harm hurts from patting myself on the back now. Although not as bad as my hands hurt from all of the new cuts and gashes from the adjustment.

Now on to the timing. I think she's pretty close now. Any tricks or advice on the timing would be appreciated.
Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 22 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

congrats. way to go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I just reset mine to .005 yesterday. Quite a difference from.008
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 22 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

btw, I'm a woosie, so I remove the wheel from the side I'm adjusting. Lots easier to get to the heads.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 22 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

way to go!

re. timing, it's quite simple (much simpler than valves). there's an article @ pelican for it. the only thing i would add is to repaint your timing marks -- make the mark big and bright and visible such that you don't have to lean over the engine too much. and don't forget to disconnect and plug the vacuum hose(s).

i always stand on the drivers side with my arms semi-crossed; timing light in right hand, throttle cable in left, tach sitting on the air box. check the timing at 3500, adjust distributor, check the timing at 3500, adjust, etc. etc.

n
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 22 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

If you roll out the idle adjust, and open the AAR out hose, can you get 3500 rpm?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 02:00 AM